Sign in to follow this  
runningbird

spotting scope troubles

Just wondering if anyone else has problems looking thru there spotting scope. the scope is a swarovski 80 and I do wear glasses. I use them on a high quality tripod. I can sit behind my 10x50's all day and see clear, it just seems like I never have as good a view as I should?

thanks.

Your eyes are just another muscle, you have to exercise em to make em strong. My ol man has the same exact problem. I just think that you have to force yourself to look through the scope to build up your eyes. JMHO

i get strained looking through a spotter also. just don't like the 1 eyed deal. it gets strenuous at higher magnification due to heat waves, but at lower mag. it is fine.

run to the drug store and pick up a couple of cheap eye patches

the ones with the elastic strap to go around you head.

allows you to keep both eyes open and much more relaxed.

just throw them in the scope case so you always have them.

Hope that helps

run to the drug store and pick up a couple of cheap eye patches

the ones with the elastic strap to go around you head.

allows you to keep both eyes open and much more relaxed.

just throw them in the scope case so you always have them.

Hope that helps

+1 I carry an old bandanna tied around my tripod to do the same thing.

You might also try using a heavy scarf or bandana and laying it over your head and spotting scope. This cuts down on alot of glare.

I will give you $200.00 for your pains with the spotting scope! When and where can I pick it up? I have cash!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I used an old bushnell spotting scope for years and found an eye patch and removing your glasses are the key to glassing for long periods of time. Eye patches can be bought at any drug store. :)

TJ

Some spotters have more eye relief than others. I think the fixed power eye pieces are better in the Swaros. My Pentax has adequate eye-relief. Maybe try someone else's scope and see if there is less eye strain due to relief- check the specs on the fixed eye pieces, you might want to pick one up.

I have the same trouble peering through the scope for long periods of time. I use my 15's most of the time, and just pull the spotter out for quick looks at more detail.

What it comes down to is that we have binocular vision... two eyes - and when we only try and use one, it messes not only with our eyes but our brain! Spotting scopes do a good job at what their name says... looking at a spot. i.e... horns, target, the neighbors hot wife etc.... <wink> They don't call them "Finding Scopes" do they! Stick with the binos for finding and then if necessary, use the spotter for a quick, closer look. DD

What it comes down to is that we have binocular vision... two eyes - and when we only try and use one, it messes not only with our eyes but our brain! Spotting scopes do a good job at what their name says... looking at a spot. i.e... horns, target, the neighbors hot wife etc.... <wink> They don't call them "Finding Scopes" do they! Stick with the binos for finding and then if necessary, use the spotter for a quick, closer look. DD

I will have to agree with double D

I can glass all day with my 10's on a tripod too.

I get some motion sickness when I use my Swaro 15's on a tripod unless I use slow fluid motion in a grid pattern, but can glass this way for a few hours if needed.

When it comes to a spotter they are used to identify and get a closer look at what is already glassed up,(but just in my opinion). Use your binos to glass and find the animals, then pull out the spotter to identify if it is worth going after. My spotter never comes out of the pack unless I need a better look. You'll be much better off and have a lot more patience.

Using a bandana or an eye patch willdefinitely help as well.