seek100plus

What weird stuff have you glassed or happen well glassing for game?

I have spent countless hours glassing for game or just sitting in a tree stand or a blind for 20 or so years ,I have seen elk mating , to a bear come right passed me glassing, well I was taking power nap and scared 2 days of food out of me .I glassed up a 2 poachers shooting a doe deer during archery season and used my spotting scope to get a license plate number and called game & fish 800 line and got a check in the mail 3 weeks later, that paid for my scouting trips. I have also glassed up hunters and hikers doing things that,I didn’t want to watch and some doing things that made it hard to not watch :o , I sure they had no idea , big brother was watching them high above, I was jst wondering ,if I’m the only one who see’s weird things out there and have had close calls with animals upfront during glassing times . I would like to hear, what else others have seen.

• Like 3

About 6 years ago we were out glassing for mule deer on an archery hunt and noticed a guy walking in the mesquite flats. Then we notice the only thing he was wearing was hiking boots and carrying a walking stick. Guess he was getting back to nature!....LOL

Wow I have not seen any of the stuff you have..........dang it. I am pretty sure I saw two horny toads doing it however. That was kind of gross. Man very interesting post. Good job....................I THINK?

I once watched a bear get in a bee nest and watched as he rolled down the hill pawing his face. It was pretty funny! Then there was the time two girls decided to skinny dip in the same cove I was sitting on during an archery deer hunt in 3Bar Wildlife Area. :o Last week while scouting for my archery hunt I came across a 3 legged bull elk and never thought about a camera until it was to late. His back leg was missing but he seemed in good health and sporting a very nice rack. There have been many more stories but better left for around the camp fire. :lol: :lol:

TJ

• Like 1

I watched a guy shoot a doe then haul butt back to his truck as well. Same ending for me... a call to GF and a check in the mail when they busted him on the way out.

I was sitting a steep canyon glassing and had a fighter jet blast up the canyon. Really cool part was he was below me and the canyon curved so I watched him hook a hard turn and disappear around the corner. I would love to do that :o

I saw this guy on a muzzleloader hunt a few years ago, he was wearing head to toe yellow buckskin, and had a black and white skunk hat... He was hunting 'Oregon Trail' style, walking around watching for something to jump out in front of him. Sadly, having glassed for miles around him, I knew there were no elk to be found that night.

post-1107-1250261753_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The weirdest thing that happened to me was when I was sitting in a treestand for elk and the big aspen tree that was next to me decided it was his time to fall over. It came crashing down not 5 yards in front of me. I thought I was a gonner for sure.

The strangest thing that happen to my dad was in New Mexico. He was in a treestand when a group of elk came in. My dad left his pack at the base of the tree. One cow came over to the pack and grabbed it with her teeth and just started shaking it. It kind of spooked the other elk when the buckles clack together, but once they seen that it was the other cow that was making all the racket they settled down. Then the cow decided to take the pack and run all over the place with it. My dad said this lasted for about 10 minutes before the cow finally dropped it and went on her way. Then he had to find the pack after dark when he got out of the tree. That was a chore in itself.

Brian

• Like 2

I was glassing for deer in archery deer season and glassed up a really nice bull pushin some cows. My bow was in the truck and i watched the bull for probably 10 minutes. I looked up and there was a bear about 30 yards from me. :blink: I wish i woulda had my bow sittin next to me. I was glassin from the road and didnt think I would need it. Neatest thing to watch was maybe a b=moutain lion i walked my buddy into in one of the 36's a few years ago. I got to watch the lion pick its way through the hillside covered in prickly pears. He would leap over big patches easily. Realy cool to watch. I got about 30 minutes of a show.

Last year in 36B I watched 3 guys roll rocks off a canyon wall for about an hour. When it got dark they had a heck of a time turning their UTV's (yes they each had one) around to leave. I just figured it was something normal for southern AZ. We were about 6 or 7 hundred yards away could hear the rocks crashing, didn't really seem to bother the deer.

--Bill

In 2007 on Kodiak Island I watched a buck mount a doe... Then he died. :rolleyes:

--Bill

A couple years ago I glassed up what I thought was a wrecked plane just before dark. It was around that time that rich guy was missing in his plane. So we shot across the desert trying to find the right road and ridge. Once we did I took off down the ridge thinking of what I was going to do once I actually got to the wreckage. In the mean time I think I spooked every rabbit, bird and who knows what else off that ridge too! :ph34r: With my little head lamp I couldn't find it, so we left for the night and came back then next morning. I was with in mere yards the night before and we found out it was just an old tail section from who knows when. :lol:

Looking back... there did seem to be a large bit of missing wreckage for a plane crash. :unsure:

DSCN1134.jpg

In 2007 on Kodiak Island I watched a buck mount a doe... Then he died. :rolleyes:

--Bill

He died happy.

THIS ONE TIME IN BAND CAMP.........................

What I saw in one ocasion, which is the wierdest(sp) thing I ever saw.....................I can't posted because is rated XXX.

Ernesto C :huh:

I was glassing in the southern part of unit 27 on a late whitetail hunt and watched a lion chase down a deer and kill it. I watched a hunter play hide and seek with a WT in 36B for like 10 minutes. It was hilarious! If you see someone skinny dipping while glassing- are you a voyeur??

Nice post

5 years ago in 5B I was sitting on a rock eating and about 30 yards a way I saw a deer running my way once it reached 20 yards away I could see that it was chasing a coyote the chase came as close as 10 yards away

Two years ago in 36c I glassed up a MNT lion come down from the top of Diablo with a fawn in its mouth great show

• Like 1