seek100plus

What weird stuff have you glassed or happen well glassing for game?

three years ago we were bear hunting in 22 and we glassed up two people on a ridge glassing the same canyon. as we looked harder we noticed that the one had a badge on as it would flash in the sun. so we watched for a second as the female companion got up to walk behind a bush. before she could get there we watched as she started waving her arms over her head and running back to him. then he started waving his arms over his head as well. the both gathered up rather fast a ran down the ridge, we ran into them later and he was working looking for bear hunters (game and fish officer) and she had stepped on a bee nest and stirred them up!!! we all sat there and laughed about it, their faces turned red when we said what we saw. :D

Highly embarassing story that I remember with my brother, who was murdered last month but this tory brings back fun memories of our hunting times together. One deer season, I was really really sick, and my brother convinced me to somehow get in the car and drive to a hill to hunt from. So we got there, and instantly, there was a good sized herd below us and I picked out a small buck and shot, and it ran and died after another shot about 300 yards away. So my brother and I make it down the hill and up the other side to get this deer, gut it and decide to simply shake it upside down and back and forth to get out any fluids (blood, pee, etc). So I grab the horns and my brother grabs the back legs and we shake this thing back and forth, but after about one minute of doing this, I realize this would look really bad if someone saw this and did not know what was going on. After all, I was sort of pulling this buck's head in and out of my crotch area and my brother was doing the same with the back side. So we got a good but uncomfortable laugh about it and thought nothing else of it, until we ran into the Game and Fish warden on the way out who had watched us with his binoculars from another hill. Oh, good times.

Memory lane, I was 11 years old and hunting with my family and my best friend. My dad sent me up the hill to hunt in a blind, by my best friends tree stand. I wasn’t sure where his tree stand was, but I knew he was close bye, cause I could hear him, going up the tree. Darkness was coming up on us fast ,so I stepped out my blind to see if I could see my friend walking back .I look up the ridge and saw a very big and black figure shaking and rocking back and forth a big dead tree with loud sounds like roaring, great fear began to take over my mind of many camp fire stories of the Mogollon Monster I knew my dad was downhill from me , but I was so scared it would get my best friend if I ran to my dad and I couldn’t leave him, but all I had was a bow, against a 7’ monster, but I had no choice to save my friend, the tree crashed to the ground and the figure started walking down the ridge toward me. I was shaking all over and pail white. I had no choice but to man up and grabbed one of my arrows and ready to meet my maker, I stood there with the arrow in my hand ready for battle and the figure came closer and closer, tell finally,I could make out my best friend face .He was up the ridge pushing over a dead tree next to his stand, that was making all kinds of noise from the wind. He said to me, did you see that, I pushed over that big tree, he said to me he felt 7’ tall. I never told him, one word about what I was thinking.

I really can't post what I have seen :rolleyes:

but as far as jets we had a bomber fly below use

while we were getting my Ram ready to haul it off the Mountain.

At Alamo several times while fishing tournaments tucked into a cove

we would have fighters blast over the coves just a few feet above the ground.

You can not hear them coming then Blast, Bang, Boom :o

Usually had to go for a swim after that and do some laundry :rolleyes:

ScoutM- the guy in the tux with the pipe and Brat was named Sid- last name unknown. He had been a fixture around the Arivaca area for years. Strangest guy i ever met. He met his demise a few years back. Found dead sitting under a tree not far from his camp. I was at his camp a year after he died, must have been 100 bottles of cheap cologne laying around-either drinking or using it as a spit bath. pack rats had taken over his camper.

Trufletch

I have posted this here before but thought it would fit.

Many years ago I was up on Mt Ord Lion hunting.

Crawled up against a rock outcropping and started blowing

my varmint call to the valley below me.

I had been calling for a while when a Lion let out a roar not 10'

above my head :o

Another need to do laundry on the spot :lol:

I will never forget that sound and to this day

the hair on the back of my neck stands up when I think about it :unsure:

I've posted here about finding dead men on two occasions while hunting, as well as glassing up two shirtless/braless female hikers, but I don't think I've mentioned watching what had to be a drug transfer take place.

A friend and I were sitting on a hill, glassing the country around a pond while bowhunting for elk in Unit 6A's juniper country in about 1975 or so, when a helicopter flew in and landed. The pilot and another man spent the next five minutes unloading boxes of something and stacking them up neatly against a fence.

Within just a few minutes after they flew off, a panel truck drove up -- across country and not on the two-track road to the pond -- and two men loaded the boxes and drove away, again avoiding the road.

When we got back to Tucson, we reported the incident and described the helicopter and provided the license plate number of the truck.

We never heard what came of it.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

Man you have my brain rolling and it hurts :rolleyes:

I was Bear hunting with a friend and he set up about 10yds

in front of me (well protected) and was calling for Bear.

After a while I see a fox working his way in to the call.

My caller being intent on calling with eyes closed most of the time

did not see it and kept calling.

The fox got right up to his foot which was bobbing back and forth

as he called and was nipping at the rocking foot :o

It was all I could do not to bust out laughing :lol:

After the set up I asked if he saw it and he had no clue :P

Kodak moment for sure if I had a camera.

I have a few stories. I was helping a friend on a unit 22 WT hunt last year and as luck would have it, we were above the the Hot Springs on the Verde River. I got alot of use out of my 80HD. My friend after a while asked me when I was going to start looking for deer. My way of thinking, I already was.

Another story from last year. I was helping out a friend of mine in one the 36's about 8 miles from the border. We had been sitting on about a 70" WT for about 3 or 4 hours. This buck was a couch potatoe, he got up maybe 3 minutes in that time. It would have been my friends first WT and his second deer. So as time goes by I get tired of watching this buck and start looking around. At about 800 yards I glass up a 85-90 buck and probably 105 to 110 monster. I get my buddy over, the stalk looks like a slamdunk, cover 650 yards out of their view, peek over a small ridge at 150 and toast the toad.

My friend makes it half-way over and all of a sudden the smaller buck goes from feeding to full-on alert. Turns on a dime and takes the monster with him.

I am sitting there feeling really sorry for my friend and wondering what just happened. I didn't have to wonder long, I see 15 UDI's coming down a small trail that let straight to the bucks. It was a great disappointment.

I also have a watched a poacher, go talk with him, find out where his camp was and get his license plate, call G & F and get paid story too, this was 25 years ago easy. I guess it also turned into a drug bust story once the investigation got started.

I was glassing a couple of years ago and glassed up 25 UDI's working a wash, they were going the opposite direction I was and I felt pretty good about it until, I followed the wash out and realize it would put them about 50 yards from my camp. That gave me a case of the oh -----. Fortunately, they got out of the wash about a mile from camp, but I was worried for a bit, Take Care, JLG.

I was twelve and on my first deer hunt with my dad and his friend.They sent me off in one direction and they went another.I came to a deep canyon with a river full of nudist.After glassing for awhile I looked further up the canyons rim I saw my dad and his friend sitting with thier glasses looking down to the river.Never told them what I saw.

• Like 1

About 7 years ago I went out scouting/shed hunting one spring day in unit 28. All I had with me was a pair of 10s, a tripod and some water. As I was working my way up through a grassy saddle I noticed what looked like a dead animal of some sort at about 30 yards from me. I was super pumped because I thought maybe it could be a big ol dead buck. As I worked my way over to within 10 yards from what I thought was a deer my excitement turned to extreme fear as it turned out to be a mountain lion! A live mountain lion! I immediately froze and thought "great I'm pretty much screwed and I was going to be lion lunch." The lion was crouched down facing me with his ears down and back all within 10 yards of me! I was so close I could see him breathing! I've never been so scared. We had a staring contest for about 1 minute when I decided to slowly back up the whole time waiting for the lion to pounce. Step by step I got further away and the lion didn't move. When I reached about 40 yards away the lion finally turned a ran away. Talk about freaky. Well I kept working my way up the hill in the opposite direction the lion went. 5 mins pass when I heard what sounded like 2 lions fighting in the direction I was headed. That was all I could take and after that I got my unarmed butt back to the truck. Not weird but definitely freaky.

I would have had the pee pee and poo poo down my legs.

Years ago, we were in the Southern part of 30A glassing in a very remote area. We were looking into a deep canyon when we heard what we thought must have been a truck. I said to my friend, there can't be a truck down there. About that time, I saw a huge swarm of bees heading right for us. They were on top of us before we could do anything. Thank goodness they just flew right over and on up the canyon.

In a different part of 30A, my brother and I found a skull that we couldn't identify. It almost looked like a small human skull. When I got back home, I went online and tried to find what kind of animal it could have been but no luck. Part of the problem was the the face part was missing, maybe chewed off?? I ended up taking it to game and fish to see if they could figure out what it was....never heard back from them.

Once in unit 22 while we were archery hunting deer, we got back to the truck and there were several horses around the truck. One had its head in the window and had been chewing on our left over fast food breakfast.

I also have seen a doe run a coyote all around a mesa. She was going to stomp him into the ground.

I've posted here about finding dead men on two occasions while hunting, as well as glassing up two shirtless/braless female hikers, but I don't think I've mentioned watching what had to be a drug transfer take place.

A friend and I were sitting on a hill, glassing the country around a pond while bowhunting for elk in Unit 6A's juniper country in about 1975 or so, when a helicopter flew in and landed. The pilot and another man spent the next five minutes unloading boxes of something and stacking them up neatly against a fence.

Within just a few minutes after they flew off, a panel truck drove up -- across country and not on the two-track road to the pond -- and two men loaded the boxes and drove away, again avoiding the road.

When we got back to Tucson, we reported the incident and described the helicopter and provided the license plate number of the truck.

We never heard what came of it.

Bill Quimby

That's funny. When I was in elementary school and waiting for the bus one morning to pick me up at the bus stop, I watched a UPS truck pull over onto the side of the road and drop a box into an irrigation ditch. I lived on a farm. Then about 5 minutes later I watched another gentelman in a truck pull over and pick it up. Always wondered about that day....

One time my brother parked his truck and was hiking up a steep ridge in Colorado to get above a great ranch for some archery elk when he spotted what looked like a yellow school bus driving up one of the ranch roads. Of course, there should not be a school bus out there so he pulled out his spotting scope for further investigation. Turns out, it was one of the Hunter Specialities' yellow trucks complete with sponsor decals and all. It turns out it was Al Morris, haha. Al ended up killing a bull that is on the newest Primetime Bulls DVD. Not a big bull, but great for CO.

On another hunt, my brother, my wife and I were in the Wasatch Mountains near Salt Lake glassing for my wife's cow moose hunt when a minivan came up the canyon and pulled over in a widespot. Several people ranging from daddy, mama, grown kids down to little kids poured out of the minvan with camo and bows and began glassing. They soon spotted a little doe and began pursuing it, all but mama and the smallest kids. Did I mention mama was about 350 lbs? While we were watching to see if they killed the doe, we panned our glass back to the minivan and saw mama squatting to relieve herself, full moon and all!!! Scary!