seek100plus

What weird stuff have you glassed or happen well glassing for game?

I would have to say the "strangest" thing I have ever seen was in 2004 on my archery elk hunt. I was sitting in a tree stand over a natural water hole in a canyon. I would occasionally hear a "fake" bugle behind me on the edge of this canyon. It was moving from my left to right. After a while, just about the end of legal shooting light, off to my right I heard a cry. It almost sounded like someone stuck an arrow into a coyote. The cry would come and go while it was slowly getting closer. As it got closer, I recocnized that it was a crying and screeming toddler. After a minute or two, 2 guys, both with bows, one of which was pushing a stroller with 3 large wheels with a screaming toddler in it. They walked right past my tree stand never knowing I was there rolling it over rocks and picking it up and over dead falls. Bizzare thing to see on a bowhunt.

The next "strangest" thing was while glassing for deer around a spring in unit 21 about 16 years ago. It was pre season and I was scouting. I heard a truck park off in the distance and people get out while chatting. 4 guys walked up a trail and broke off the trail and headed in to the desert. At least one had a rifle. They were doing nothing to be quiet and it appeared that they could have been at least somewhat intoxicated. A few minutes after they dissapeared around a canyon bend I heard a gun shot. Moments later all the men where hastily working back towards where they had come from, got in their truck and left. I have no idea what went down.

Other than that I could write a book on "cool" outdoor encounters with wildlife and other finds. It is easy to do living and hunting up here.

There really are some pretty good things getting glassed up in the woods. Kinda makes me think I need more time on the glass since I haven't seen much in the line of non-animal related stuff.

One of the coolest things I have seen though is watching a Border Patrol chopper buzzing a canyon over to the from where I was glassing. It went back and forth a few times then landed down on the flat where the canyon feeds down to. A couple BP trucks parked on the pavement near the chopper in the flat and yup you guessed it, 3 UDA's came walking up to the pilot who had exited the chopper. They were quickly loaded up in the trucks and the chopper flew off to go look for some more action.

My dad has some goods stories from 34B near I 10. He witnessed a couple morons shooting up a pump house. He ran them off, but wasn't able to get enough information since they split pretty quick. He also found a dead body down there, which was determined to be a suicide.

None of your stories holds a candle to the one SBD could tell you.

I remember this coming up a while ago but never found out what it was......

A couple of years ago I was deer hunting the second weekend of the hunt in the KOFA national wildlife refuge. A buddy and I had hiked into an area before sun up to make sure we were setup and glassing at prime time. Everything went perfect until......right at first light a Game and Fish helicopter came flying up the canyon we were in not 200 ft off the ground. He flew right over head and started buzzing around the mountains we were glassing.

I couldnt figure out what he was doing until I glassed up a ewe running as fast as she could down one ridge and up the next. The helicopter just followed right behind her until she started going straight up a really steep shale slide, all of a sudden as I was watching the ewe through my binocs a huge net shot out the door of the helicopter and on to the ewe. :huh:

The net landed on top of the sheep and she became tangled in it. Immediately the helicopter placed one of its landing skids barely touching a rock outcropping and one of the AZGFD officers bailed out of the helicopter and went running down to the ewe and tranquilized her. They then loaded her in the helicopter and took off.

It was really cool to watch. It would have been a whole lot cooler if they had waited another day until the deer season was over and not ruined my honey hole. <_<

Anyway, it was pretty neat.

A couple years ago i was down in 36b doing some scouting and saw something i never thought i would. I was right near Ruby and happened to glass down by the lake and saw some people skinny dipping. THere had to be at least 5 or 6 of them down there swimming away. It was pretty interesting to say the least.

Jake

glassed up an owl once and swore it was a mt lion. faces looked almost the same.

how about two ears behind a rock that I thought were from a deer and then find out they were from a jack rabbit.

I did that with an owl once... thought it was a bobcat...

I was glassing an area that had Moo Cows in it for a big bull I heard about in a Northern unit.

Seems a ton of people were watching this bull as he was in a very easy place to get him

and even someone with a auction tag could get it done without spending 10 days to do it.

I watched a guy sneak into his spot and just kind of melted into into a Cow newB biscuit

Must have been waiting for Wiiiillbeeeer to come by??

Maybe some day we will hear how a hunter becomes a biscuit :rolleyes:

Strangest thing I have ever seen :P

I was glassing an area that had Moo Cows in it for a big bull I heard about in a Northern unit.

Seems a ton of people were watching this bull as he was in a very easy place to get him

and even someone with a auction tag could get it done without spending 10 days to do it.

I watched a guy sneak into his spot and just kind of melted into into a Cow newB biscuit

Must have been waiting for Wiiiillbeeeer to come by??

Maybe some day we will hear how a hunter becomes a biscuit :rolleyes:

Strangest thing I have ever seen :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: ...it is so good to have humor!!! Just keep us laughing.

Kathi

I was hunting in southwest AZ with my Dad when I was just old enouph to carry a rifle. We got up on a large ridge line overlooking a wide canyon. The sun was just about ready to break over behind us. We could here a vehicle way down below us. The vehicle stopped and my Dad put his binos on it. he could see a plackered on the side of the truck that said Sierra Club. He muttered some profanity under his breath and then said well there goes da hunting. Just about that time the people at the vehicle started banging and making as much noise as possiable and working there way up the canyon. My Dad started glassing out ahead of them and all of a sudden you could see his EXCITMENT as he whispered loudly get your gun! He pointed about 100 yrds in front of us. There were to Whitetail bucks coming straight up a ridge twords us. My dad said take the one in front and I will take the back one. Neither one were big but they both had horns. I let a round fly and watched my deer go down! My dad shot a split seconed after me and his went down!

The people in the canyon started yelling green piece profanities at us. My dad yelled back THANK YOU FOR THE HELP!

The people then walked back to their truck and left. We proceeded to dress our deer and packed them back to the truck where we were met by AZG&F Mike Wadell to be exact. (retired). He recognized my Dad's old 72 chevy and just went back to his truck stating that some Sierra Club members were trying to report that we were pouching deer.

Glassed up 50 LBS of Hippy Lettuce (marijuana) Then about 5 minutes later glassed up a nice buck about 30 yards from the dope. Ended up shooting the buck and turning the greens over to the boarder patrol.

post-3180-1252075950_thumb.jpg

I spent my youth hunting unit 32 in the Redington area. Me and my dad were sitting on a ridge glassing and heard a very loud plane flying over. That is the flight path for the military I guess from Tucson over the Galiuros heading east so the sounds of jets are typical but this one was louder than the rest. So I looked over my shoulder to see the Space Shuttle piggy backed on top of that monster plane that hauls it around. It seemed like it was only a couple hundred feet off the ground and I was sure it was going to smack right into the side of the mountain. It went over the mountains and was gone at what seemed to be slow motion speed. That was cool to see.

One year I was hunting quail and I heard the weirdest sound coming from a bush. It was a grinding sound accompanied with some growling, moaning, whatever sound. I snuck around to see two desert Tortoise mating. If you ever wonder how it's possible they do it like all other animals! I still can't figure how that works with the shell but I saw it with my own eyes. They were getting it on and making some pretty funny noises. They were literally "knocking shells".

• Like 1

Glassed up 50 LBS of Hippy Lettuce (marijuana) Then about 5 minutes later glassed up a nice buck about 30 yards from the dope. Ended up shooting the buck and turning the greens over to the boarder patrol.

Hey that bail has a hole in it and it looks like a handful of lettuce is missing! ;)

Once I was sitting on a ridge near Safford glassing the opposite ridge for javelina when I noticed the tops of some electric poles that were visible above the ridge I was glassing. As I glassed the ridge I saw one of the poles slowly topple over. I thought that was strange but it became even stranger a while later when I saw another of the poles take a fall. My curiosity got the better of me so I went to where I could see into the canyon where the poles were located. What I saw was two guys with a chainsaw cutting down the poles so they could steal the copper wire to sell it for scrap.

Town was only 10 miles away and I had no cell phone so I drove in to the nearest business with a phone and called the sheriff. A deputy came out, picked me up and had me guide him to the scene of the crime. Unusual, but as I was the county prosecutor he knew me and was ok with me going along with him. The thieves were caught and prosecuted.

Jack

I spent my youth hunting unit 32 in the Redington area. Me and my dad were sitting on a ridge glassing and heard a very loud plane flying over. That is the flight path for the military I guess from Tucson over the Galiuros heading east so the sounds of jets are typical but this one was louder than the rest. So I looked over my shoulder to see the Space Shuttle piggy backed on top of that monster plane that hauls it around. It seemed like it was only a couple hundred feet off the ground and I was sure it was going to smack right into the side of the mountain. It went over the mountains and was gone at what seemed to be slow motion speed. That was cool to see.

Nasa actually stores the 747 that hauls the shuttle at the pinal airpark, north of marana. I thought it was a airplane graveyard for the longest time until I went through flight school and took a couple of flights down that way and talked to the people there..