seek100plus

What weird stuff have you glassed or happen well glassing for game?

one morning back in the 90's i was sitting on the rim slopes above the old zane gray cabin site glassing some velvet bulls. a half dozen of these little yellow birds were flitting around in the snag about a foot or two above my head all morning. i had to lift my head and look when i heard a sound like a bat hitting a softball about a foot above my glasses. all that was there was a bunch of yellow feathers floating down on me-i followed the trail of feathers going down the rim to a little yellow bird in the grasp of a perrigrin falcon doing about 80 knots.......very close encounter of the lethal variety.

i was sitting on a stool glassing for bear in 24a once-gun was left back in the jeep a hundred yard away. all of a sudden i hear rocks being rolled in the manzanita about 10 yds under me....a bear is coming up the hill right into my lap...i am so glad that bear turned out to be javalina-so close it actually kicked my big foot when it turned and blasted outa there. never carry a stool instead of a rifle....

lee

insanity runs in the family-it practically gallups!

• Like 1

A few years back a group of us were down between Sonoita and Patagonia hunting for coues when me and a friend were glassing a ridge top and saw another hunter doing something ( how do I put this for the sensorship ) let's just say it looked like he was shaking cactus out of his hand at waist level :blink: Me and my buddy couldn't believe it. Needless to say we left that area and glassed somewhere else.

A few years back a group of us were down between Sonoita and Patagonia hunting for coues when me and a friend were glassing a ridge top and saw another hunter doing something ( how do I put this for the sensorship ) let's just say it looked like he was shaking cactus out of his hand at waist level :blink: Me and my buddy couldn't believe it. Needless to say we left that area and glassed somewhere else.

I really love to go hunting, but I think this feller takes it to another level!

Glassed up 50 LBS of Hippy Lettuce (marijuana) Then about 5 minutes later glassed up a nice buck about 30 yards from the dope. Ended up shooting the buck and turning the greens over to the boarder patrol.

why is one shorter than the other,,, take a little off the top to cover cost of the hunting trip???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Once I was sitting on a ridge near Safford glassing the opposite ridge for javelina when I noticed the tops of some electric poles that were visible above the ridge I was glassing. As I glassed the ridge I saw one of the poles slowly topple over. I thought that was strange but it became even stranger a while later when I saw another of the poles take a fall. My curiosity got the better of me so I went to where I could see into the canyon where the poles were located. What I saw was two guys with a chainsaw cutting down the poles so they could steal the copper wire to sell it for scrap.

Town was only 10 miles away and I had no cell phone so I drove in to the nearest business with a phone and called the sheriff. A deputy came out, picked me up and had me guide him to the scene of the crime. Unusual, but as I was the county prosecutor he knew me and was ok with me going along with him. The thieves were caught and prosecuted.

Jack

This has to be one of the most unique glassing stories. Thanks for posting it!

Amanda

just this weekend my dad and i were scotting at 36b

and out of no were is a lady a white anglo lady was joging by

we were out there we were about 30 to 40 miles from anything

You guys have seen some neat stuff. About 3 years ago we were hunting 29 and were glassing in a canyon when two A-10 jets came through we stodd up a waived. One of the pilots saw us and did three more fly overs tipping his wings. That was cool.

About 8 years ago hunting in 6A we watched another hunter pick his nose for about 30 minutes straight. We still laugh about that evertime we go to that spot glassing.

I was hunting with my brother and nephew down near Bisbee on top of the tunnel. We hiked up and found a creepy site with lots of ladies clothing torn up, an empty half gallon Wesson bottle, and Vaseline smeared on trees. There were 3 or 4 disposable cameras and a book with all sorts of pics of sex acts and stories. We called the cops and took them to the "site".

let us know what that is all about

A couple of years later I was hunting on Camp Navajo and met a Customs Agent who worked the Naco crossing. We were talking about wierd things found while hunting and he started telling me about "the find" on the Bisbee Tunnel. I informed him that I was in the party that found that mess. He told me that we didnt want to know what was on those cameras, but he did say that the scene wasn't a rape site. It was more of a freak show involving a confused person. ( Sorry about the story Amanda, I'm trying to keep it clean) It still gives me the creeps!!!

While glassing during the fall archery hunt, I watched a guy attempt to set up a pop up blind about 10 feet from a cattle drinker, and 10 feet off of a road. This was at about 10:00 am, and it was at least 95 degrees. He struggled with it for what seemed like an hour, trying every method to get it set up. He would get it half way set up, then toss it up in the air, and try to end up in the middle of it. Poles kept popping out, and it would collapse on him over and over. He would throw it on the ground and stomp around in frustration. We laughed and laughed, wishing we had a video camera along. If that person is on this forum, thanks for the entertainment!

My buddy told me he was glassing once and noticed a man and woman out hiking looking for Javelina. The dude was quite large, and struggling to keep up. Without warning he reached down, dropped his pants and underdrawers to his ankles, and began shoving TP between his legs. He then pulled them up and continued on. Evidently some serious chafing had set in, and he proceeded to hobble along bow legged trying to catch up with his wife.

• Like 1

I was hunting with my brother and nephew down near Bisbee on top of the tunnel. We hiked up and found a creepy site with lots of ladies clothing torn up, an empty half gallon Wesson bottle, and Vaseline smeared on trees. There were 3 or 4 disposable cameras and a book with all sorts of pics of sex acts and stories. We called the cops and took them to the "site".

That is so weired ,I found the same thing in 6 b

I was glassing years ago in the 3bar area when I felt something crawling up against my chest. As I raised my binos to see what it was, I found myself starring straight in the eyes of a green racer. On the very next day I had the same type of snake craw up my pants while I was sitting glassing for deer. I don't know how I stayed so calm as I looked down at it's tail sticking out of my pant's leg. Yes, I am spooked now everywhere I go. :unsure: :lol:

TJ

I was glassing years ago in the 3bar area when I felt something crawling up against my chest. As I raised my binos to see what it was, I found myself starring straight in the eyes of a green racer. On the very next day I had the same type of snake craw up my pants while I was sitting glassing for deer. I don't know how I stayed so calm as I looked down at it's tail sticking out of my pant's leg. Yes, I am spooked now everywhere I go. :unsure: :lol:

TJ

Wow, I have always wanted to see one of those snakes. I think I briefly saw one once, but I was never sure. Can't believe you had two crawling on you in that many days!!

Amanda

Nothing too weird, but last December I got drawn for a cow elk hunt in unit 10. We heard gun shots over the ridge, and as I was heading up to investigate I saw a lone cow busting across the horizon. I thought I might be able to cut her off so I hustled up the hill. By the time I got to the top I saw her side hilling across an open field. Within seconds I see a hunter standing in the horizon with the elk running right for him. It was cool to see the smoke from his gun and then hear the shot a second later. He fired three times from about 50 yds and dropped the elk. Luckily I saw the rest of the herd out of the corner of my eye and was able to sneak in to get a cow of my own.

While archery hunting in 36c earlier this year I saw 4 illeagals moving down a hill. It was pretty intense because I was glassing from a rock outcropping not 20 yds from the trail they were using. I stayed hidden as they walked by and listened to them talk in espanol. They must have been lost because about 10 minutes later they headed back up the same way they had come.