seek100plus

What weird stuff have you glassed or happen well glassing for game?

Great stories fellas! Figured I better throw my two cents worth in and probably forgot better times but these come to mind:

Had an owl swoop into my tree right before light and thought I was being attacked by Barnabus Collins! (for you young bucks that is the dude from Dark Shadows)

Nobody has yet to admit to the time you were out all day waiting for that monster buck when "duty" calls and you are "manuring" when that buck finally shows and you are not in a position to do anything!

Sleeping on cots with my brother and Father back in 74 in the desert around Sunflower when a weird light goes by in about 3 seconds, then we hear and then see two fighters (we presumed) take the same path of the weird light but three times as long in doing so!

9 years old, hunting alone with a 22 single shot for rabbits and ran into a pack of Javelina that I swore wanted me dead and chased me for almost a mile! Father told me later once I started running they probably didn't follow me more then 10 yards or so but you couldn't convince a 9 year old of that!

Found a couple newborn Javelina in the 3 bar area jsut outside that fenced in area they were doing tests on for years, complete with i guess their imbellica cord!

Found a fairly new fawn up on a ridge in 27 with my brother years ago that couldnt get up it was so new and weak! Didn't touch it for fear the mother wouldn't come back to it.

Had a doe blowing and dancing on two legs a few years back down in 36C and wtching her some more then saw why! She had a mountain lion circling her and man was she ever dancing her butt off! Lion left and the deer took awhile to calm down and so did I.

while glassing in 35b i saw a doe and her fawn walking in a wash. they came up to what looked like a peice of broken pumpkin and mama was liking it a lot and everytime the fawn tried to get in on it mama would kick the fawn in the face and she was swinging for the fences. saw her strike the fawn 5 or 6 times. also saw a couple doing the deed near oracle ridge from 5 hills away i think they were copying the kama sutra it went on a while. i also watched a wolf near alpine traverse 200 yards feeding on mice right to my blind i could smell him it was really cool.

i onc saw a cow elk down by the sheep bridge on the verde, took me a minute to figure out what the heck i was looking at..same trip had about 20 or so quads come riding in and 3 of the girils got off there bikes and went skinny diping....my brother in law and i were on the bridge.....

i shot a rattle snack this year while dove hunting, let it sit there for a minute and when i came back there was a buzzerd on it, that bird tore the s-t out of it..

had a black bear in 23north witin a 100 yards and didnt know he was there till he got up to leave...

I Love the outdoors!!!!

I was hunting with my brother and nephew down near Bisbee on top of the tunnel. We hiked up and found a creepy site with lots of ladies clothing torn up, an empty half gallon Wesson bottle, and Vaseline smeared on trees. There were 3 or 4 disposable cameras and a book with all sorts of pics of sex acts and stories. We called the cops and took them to the "site".

That is so weired ,I found the same thing in 6 b

I HOPE you meant 6A! :o

Sycamore

well back in janurary when i was archery hunting in 37b (close to home) i was watching these doe s (4) make there way down towards a gorge below me. sat there watching them go off in different directions waiting for a buck to chase one of them. thirty minutes go by and now can only see 3, slightly moved around a tree and spotted the forth doe staring at me. I knew i was busted but stood still anyway. the two younger ones were jumpy and started to run away. the (what i'm guessing) the alpha female was the only still left looking in my direction but didn't know what was out there (good camo and shade). so she would pretend she turning and running away. then automatically turn back around run up couple feet and stop . . looking and looking. this went on for next several minutes. untill finally they moved off to the next hill.

also when i was watching deer while hunting with archery. i noticed when they on alert/looking out i noticed if everything is ok free to frolic around there tail whips around. if not they don't they do that weird fake you out running away thing . . .akward

ok i know i'm boring you guys now. but 3-4 years ago hunting in 30b. i was coming back to camp to eat lunch. it was a long hike in and out that mourning and haven't seen anything. as i was making my way threw the cat claws i stumble upon a rabbits foot!!! ya and it was still pretty fresh too. i picked it up and put it in a bag. when i got to the road, a doe yelped and jumped across the road nearly running me over ! i could of reached out and touched it.

it was a really cool experience.

In 2008 i was on a 120+inch buck and had a lion chase him then the next day had a female and cub chase deer on the same ridge.-up in redington.--- on 2 occasions saw does trambel bobcats---saw a muley doe beat the heck out of a coyote---saw a hybrid deer---spooked 2 does and they ran by a rock pile, lion leaped off it missing them---last fathers day i checked my cam and had a lion sniffing the cam and 100yrds away found a lion kill with the blood still runing out of the punctures in the deers neck---saw a javalina with a white butt---had a buck bed by me at -10yrds while i was glassing[3 times]---had javalina run in between my legs---had 2 guys chase a buck [that i was on all day] with a truck and get out 1 guy with bow 1 guy with rifle who was about to shoot the deer until he saw us, i lgot that buck later that day--- me and my dad glassed up a lion sleeping and had a 95 buck run into him,wake him up and get chased, my dad ended up killing that lion later that day-heres a pic-post-4675-1283052455_thumb.jpgpost-4675-1283052595_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Last weekend I was walking back to the truck along a fence line that drops into a wash and just as I dropped into the wash a roadrunner comes running up the wash with a coyote in hot pursuit. The roadrunner jumped up onto the highest fence post in the wash and I noticed it had a small snake it its mouth. The coyote finally noticed me after walking up within 5 yards and the bird just jumped/flew away and the yote did a 180 and goes back up the wash. Reminds me of a cartoon I used to watch minus the TNT.

• Like 1

Last weekend I was walking back to the truck along a fence line that drops into a wash and just as I dropped into the wash a roadrunner comes running up the wash with a coyote in hot pursuit. The roadrunner jumped up onto the highest fence post in the wash and I noticed it had a small snake it its mouth. The coyote finally noticed me after walking up within 5 yards and the bird just jumped/flew away and the yote did a 180 and goes back up the wash. Reminds me of a cartoon I used to watch minus the TNT.

LOL!! good story!

Was thinking about this post and realized some stuff thats not that wierd to AZ hunters must seem strange to hunters from else where. Such as:

Rocky Mtn Bighorns in the cactus.

Desert Bighorn at the lake.

Elk in the desert.

Pronghorn in the pines.

Mulies in the low country.

Whitetails in the high country.

How about bull moose in the desert? I'll have to see if I can find my pictures and scan them.

One year a friend and I were still hunting elk in a canyon that was chuck full of them the day before. We'd each take a side and then use radio's if we saw something across canyon and guide each other to them. It worked well. This day I was glassing across the canyon when my friend walked into a small patch of quakies. Not 10 seconds later a large black bear walked out on the same trail. I got on the radio and asked if he was OK, he said "Yes, why?" It told him to turn around. The bear was still within 15 yards of him overturning rocks looking for bugs. About an hour later he came on the radio and asked if I could see anything behind him? He was in oakbrush about chest high and I couldn't see anything. He said something would walk when he walked and stop when he stopped. He finally decided to throw a large rock to where he last heard it. When he did a lion and two half grown cubs took off up the hill. We decided to call it a day. Unfortunately, for me, my friend hadn't brought any changes of cloths and we were in a Chevy Blazer so I had to smell the results of these two close calls all the way home...

(I'll let someone else get the bigfoot ball rolling....)

Not too weird, I imagine you guys see stuff like this all the time. I was making my way down to a waterhole around Bitter creek in 28 close to the NM border. I hear a quad coming up the road below. I was thinking"dang, I just spent half the day walking to get here the hard way and he comes waltzing up the easy way" I don't like being seen, so I sit down in a rock outcropping to watch him go by. He stops right in front of me, pulls out a tootsie pop and THROWS THE WRAPPER ON THE GROUND. He takes a few licks and putters on up the road, did not even check the water hole. I march down the hill, pick up his trash and leave two size 15 footprints over his tracks. The road dead ends, so I know he is coming back, not that he would notice someone cleaned up after him and was watching him anyway :rolleyes: I was hoping to shame him a little at least. I carry on down to the water, see tracks and notice a real nice hide due south. Jumped a nice muley out of the hide and popped him as he checked his backtrail at the nearest saddle. Never saw ole litterbug again. Felt like the good guy won that one.

Well these stories are great and hit home on alot of points but the weirdest most recent thing that happened to me and a great hunting buddy is we were scouting for Deer and javalina in January in the supersitions for an other friend that had a ham hunt and trying to get familiar with the terrain so we hiked on top of a good sized hill and found a cut out at the top . A comfy spot to do some glassing that had sun to our backs and decent shade and a cool light breeze hitting us in the face this would soon become a bad decision on my part . As we were at the top nature called and I opted to move down wind a bit and found a weird suicide note that looked like was in a home made shrine there was a faded out picture of some girl very hard to make out as the weather had wiped most of the note and the picture out .As I finished my business sat down and went back to glassing for about an hour when all of a sudden we heard the craziest distress /fight call ever I looked to my left just in time to see this huge owl flying up the ridge headed towards us with a huge black animal of some kind in its clutches as it got closer I realized it had a big skunk by one legs and back of its head and this skunk was going nuts .we both just watched as this owl decided to fly right over us not more than 15 feet above us we could hear his wings flap and the crazy skunk sreaming his lungs out my Buddy and I were both paralyzed just gawking at this when as soon as I realized ( that wind I mention in our face) we were getting a golden shower from the flailing skunk! I couldn't out of the way fast enough the owl flew up about 30 or more feet and just let the skunk do a peter pan right on the rocks below then sat down for a nice tenderized meal. However I got the worst of the spraying and my buddy mainly got his pants with it but my hat my pack and my shirt was never the same so I made a smelly donation to good will :blink: