seek100plus

What weird stuff have you glassed or happen well glassing for game?

Was out calling varmints in a canyon. Saw a gray fox across the canyon heading my way. Didn't have a gun... just a camera. Before I reached for the camera, I saw what I assumed to be a hawk coming over my head from behind me. Nothing new to have a hawk come to a call, but this one seemed big. I looked up & realized it was a VERY large Golden Eagle. I had never had one respond to a call, so I was interested to see what he was going to do. As he got closer to the call, I realized he wasn't going for the call, he was going for the fox! He dove for the fox & narrowly missed it as it dove down into a wash. The eagle circled a little bit & then perched in a tree & waited. Fox never re-appeared & the eagle left. I was so fascinated by the whole thing that I never thought to take out my camera!

• Like 5

One yr. Dec coues hunt. A bobcat stalking a buck. Even jumping on its back, which resulted in the cat flying end over end high in the air . They had a stand off, antlers blocking any advances from the cat, for another few minutes. The buck finally had enough and trotted off.  So cool to watch.

• Wow! 1

While WT hunting in 36B (California Gulch area) I was glassing this deep canyon when I see a Mt Lion emerge from a bush, then a 2nd lion follows.  Being that this was my 1st lion(s) sighting I was mesmerized. I couldn't take my eyes off them, then in my field of view of my Binos about 10 o'clock I see more movement and its 5 yotes in a train. The lead lion starts to head up hill while the 2nd one follows the ravine. The yotes see the 1st lion and circle it, after that it was the wildest National Geographic dog and cat fight ever. The dogs would dive in and nip at the lion and then haul butt when the lion would swat and chase em. The noises that the lion was making was so erie and loud coming through this canyon. This happened for about 20 minutes. I completely stopped looking for deer and just watched. As for the 2nd lion, I lost sight of it and actually started to get scared because I had no idea where it was at. The yotes lost the battle and took off up the hill. Never thought about sending lead down range, but the more I think about it I probably should have filled my lion tag that year. 

In 2010, I did end up killing my 1st lion at 10 yds. I was able to sneak up to it without it knowing I was there. Too close for comfort in my books, but at the time I had know idea what I was sneaking up too. I just saw something move and I was curious as to what it was.

• Like 2

I glanced up a hen turkey in unit 9 once... it was nose to nose with my sleeping, snoring brother trying to figure out what the F was in front of it. Deer tag in your pocket meant you saw 25birds/day for a couple years. 

• Like 2

I got this topic ping and had to join in .  Once saw a doe chasing a coyote across a ridge from me. She was really after him for a few hundred yds then I dropped the yote with a single shot and she stopped looked around and went up to the yote and nosed him before heading up the ridge. 

Also was glassing an old mine area and heard something we later called crazy Larry.  He was an old security guard at the mine I heard later. He popped out of his trailer laughing and yelling like he was Larry.  Errr crazy....  anyway  He had his pants down around his ankles and was just laughing his butt off for no apparent reason   

Lots of others To share but I will stop at these.  Happy turkey day. 

• Wow! 1

I was elk hunting one year and had been walking for about half an hour and thought I was pretty much in the middle of nowhere when I heard what sounded like a leaf blower start up.  Curious, I headed closer to the noise. It was a young gal, in the middle of the forest, with no road anywhere close that I knew of, using a leaf blower.  I stood there in disbelief, wondering what I was watching.  I didn't want to scare her since I had a rifle , so I just watched for a few minutes and kept walking.  She was wearing a Forest Service uniform.  All I can figure was she must have been working on a study area??  Never did figure that one out.

Another time while glassing from on top of a ridge line I walked over to check a different spot and as I stepped thru the shrub line I saw a huge Golden eagle sitting on a rock surveying the steep cut below.  The wind was blowing straight up the canyon into his face so he never heard or saw me.  I got to stand there, not more than 5 yards from him for about 3 or 4 minutes.  One of the coolest moments ever in the wild.

• Like 2

Couple weeks back was standing in front of a huge juniper stretching from the morning glassing session with the sun behind the juniper and I see this fox come trotting up the hill towards me. He doesn’t see me since the sun is behind me and the juniper. It looks like he’s got a huge chunk (as big as him) of burned log in his mouth. At 30 yards I go for my phone to take a video for the kids, he sees the movement, freaks out drops the thing in his mouth and takes off.  When I go to see what it was it was the entire head off a yearling elk.  Maybe been dead a day or two. 

I moved up ridge a bit and would alternately check the head as I was glassing and he and his buddy kept trying to sneak in there to pick it back up but never felt comfortable enough to break cover. 

• Like 2

On 8/14/2009 at 12:08 PM, vegasjeep said:

I have glassed up a few things that were odd.

I saw a guy walking with a big backpack and a AK type rifle. I was just out glassing and he spotted me. I swear he ran three ridges before he disappeared and he had never slowed down. probably crossed over 2 miles of terrain before I did not see him anymore. I carry a GPS so no matter what I see I call it in to game and fish on my speed dial. :lol:

Ive seen hundreds upon hundreds of illegals in groups of 2, 3, 20, 50 you name it. I actually have a hill I go to to introduce new people to the groups in 36b. At night within an hour I can have a group come by EVERY time.

I watched a hunter get stalked by a mtn lion for 20 minutes or so.

I have seen these new freaking packs that the "humanitarians" put out for the illegals which are new camo back packs full of a few cans of tuna, a few Gatorades, a few red bulls and a couple waters.

The humanitarians also put out these HUGE $60 black totes full of food now as well as their gallons of water.

I saw a group of drug smugglers on 3 different occasions. Im talking burlap sacks and all.

Never had fighter jets but I have had the BP heli buzz me less then 30 feet away a couple times as they were tracking some illegals.

I know where a white Chevy Durmax has been sitting for two years and all he did was break a tie rod and never came back for it. It was pretty much untouched as of last year

The black panther or whatever it was that was found dead in southern az i had seen as well as a few different groups of kudimundees and turkey in 36a and b

Where did you see the coatimundis if you don't mind. My grandpa has been wanting to get one mounted and we hunt in 36A

1 hour ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

I've never glassed up anything cool or odd. I did have a roadrunner come right up to me and circle me while was glassing though.

https://youtu.be/QqH5hlZmvOs

That is very funny.  I always liked roadrunners...maybe because he always outsmarted Wiley on a regular basis.  :D

I wonder if the RR was just curious or learned to associate humans with handouts?

Eddie

I glassed up a UFO one time, broad day light at 9 am.  Had two witnesses with me who also saw a 3 silver orbs attached and moving silently into the wind through a valley.  This was not a balloon or an aircraft.  Still scratch my head to this day, don't know what it was..