Sign in to follow this  
ACTS_238

Easy Meals while camping?

Not sure where to post this and because we will be Bow hunting this season it's here in the bow hunting forum.

My question to all is this, any Ideas for meals to pack that are easy to serve when in the field. Meals that dont require anything more than heating on a fire and serving? Easy cleanup and can last for 7 to 10 days in an ice chest?

I want to focus on hunting and dont want to worry a lot about what to fix for supper. Breakfast is null and lunch is packed in a backback for each day. Only suppers are in question.

I thank you in advance for your input.

Canned food!!! Cheap and easy. Doesnt even require an ice chest. Most of the new stuff just pops right open, no use of a can opener needed.

• Like 1

I would agree with the first two posts! 10 days???? Then canned or dehydrated would likely do best!

Maybe pack some pre-cooked frozen stuff in dry ice for the first few days, but it would be really tough to go the whole 10 days on 'frozen' stuff..... That being said, it's easy to pre-cook and freeze all kinds of stuff. Stews, green chili, red chili, meat/potatoes, etc... Just pre-cook and then seal (vacuum is preferred....). Pack in single portions and bring a fairly large pot. Boil each individual frozen bag and then dump it on a plate! Easy!

Bon' apetite!!!

S.

:)

Steak & pre-baked potatoes.

You can cook your pasta meals ahead of time and freeze them in a good ziplok or vacuum seal bag and reheat in boiling water.

Stouffers entrees that come in a plastic tray like lasagna can be heated in a covered pan of boiling water.

Pre-baked spiral cut ham

• Like 1

Those pre-cooked rotissiere chickens and/or fried chicken will reheat well and can be great for lunch or dinner.

Some simple and cheap pasta meals include boiling water for lipton noodle packets (of any number of flavors...alfredo, parmesan, stroganoff) and then throw in some spiced tuna from a foil packet or a can of beef or chicken to give the meal some protein. Much cheaper than mountain house meals and can be spiced up however you like.

Amanda

OOh Mountain House meals. Be prepared for gas city ;) and I don't mean the convenience store. But I've not had a tummy ache on them yet! And they provide lots of food, fast, as long as you have a jet boil or something! They are pretty tasty too. The chicken and noodles...YUM. I'll eat this stuff at home if i'm broke and I have some left over. MRE's have nothing on Mountain House. ALSO Backpackers Pantry...REALLY GOOD and higher in calories. (When I say REALLY GOOD...it's relative...it won't be like your mom's meatloaf, but it's a helluva lot better than McDonalds or Ramen!)

• Like 1

Some simple and cheap pasta meals include boiling water for lipton noodle packets (of any number of flavors...alfredo, parmesan, stroganoff) and then throw in some spiced tuna from a foil packet or a can of beef or chicken to give the meal some protein. Much cheaper than mountain house meals and can be spiced up however you like.

Amanda

+1 on the lipton noodle packets. Those are tasty and fairly quick although it does mean some cleanup with the pot. Better tasting imo than Mountain House, but nothing beats Mountain House for easy and quick with little to no cleanup.

Ron

I will throw a vote in for the MountainHouse idea. Those meals are quick, easy to store, have a good variety and I think they are great. Try the lasagna! Good luck... 10 days??? Wish i could pull that off! One of my other favorites is Hormell or Stagg Chili with a Mortons steak from Costco. Mmmm, my mouth is already watering just thinking about it.

When rifle hunting in Tucson

In the morning coffee and milk mixed with oatmeal in a cup good energy just takes about 10 min in the morning to make. Pre made coffee from home is fine if I don’t feel like oatmeal I will eat some good cereal its all good energy for the morning and best of all its inexpensive

Afternoon I pack about 2 to 3 sandwiches with me it ranges from peanut butter to ham and cheese

Thought out the day I also eat a lot of bars that I buy at Wal-Mart don’t get a height sugar bar or a bar with no good health value keep in mind you need the energy to stay out there. And a bar with only protein is not ideal ether. You need a good balance also I keep in my pack some fruit orange is what I like.

At night at the camp I ether will cook some pasta takes about 5 min to boil water and 10 min to cook the pasta its really fast I will alternate cook some chicken pork sausage meat what ever is on sale at Wal-Mart and will fit in the cooler good over the camp fire food.

:o

Wow what a great community of hunting nuts like me!

Thanks you all for the input, these ideas will go great with the stuff we had planned.

I was very lucky to draw a Kiabab deer and a Bull Elk for 7west this year. I have saved ALL my vacation time for these 2 hunts. I want to make the best of it as I may not get drawn again for a long time.

One thing is new this year is I had to get a sticker for my quad which cost me 25 bucks! (One more way the GOV is transfering my money to thier account)

Anyway thanks again for all the input.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!"

I have one of those little burner jet things about the size of your hand, just big enough for a large can of soup.

I get a couple big cans of chunky soups, some spaghetti-O's and anything chocolate to keep my calories up and call it a day.

I hunt so hard I could care less whats going in there, and I don't have the energy to cook . . . just want something in there to stop the belly-noises and get some shut eye. Heck I ain't camping . . . I'm huntin! ha ha.

Can goods don't need any preparation either. Just throw one in for every night out. Easy. And no mess.

My only advice is skip ANYTHING that has garlic, is spicy or has peppers in it. . . that could haunt your hunt something fierce. . . . keep it bland and plain to keep the scent and stomach cramps to a minimum.

• Like 1

I always cook with the dutch oven. I will do a whole chicken or roast. Just throw it in with some potatoes, carrots, and an onion and seasoning, and some water. Build a fire with a hard wood like oak. Let it burn down to coals, then bury the dutch oven with the coals around it. When you get back from hunting that night it will be done. Make sure you have enough coals to put all around the dutch oven.