Sign in to follow this  
ACTS_238

Last Year on the Bab!

Last year was my first trip to the bab, and what a great time we had.

A little afternoon rain and a good chill in the morning! thats the best kind of weather for me.

Saw lots of deer and mostly small bucks ( which is fine for me) Also later in the week saw a group of very large bucks traviling together. Big boys and were very impressive. I never did get close to those. :(

The second day I missed a 30 yard shot at a spike, missjudged the yardage and the arrow passed right over his back and slammed into a tree! It's a very distinctive sound when your arrow hits a tree! Needless to saw I was depressed a little for such a boneheaded shot! :unsure:

Anyway it would be 7 days before the next oppurtunity presented itself, a 40 yard shot that passed through both lungs and out the other side with my 12 year old martin impala bow.

After the shot I thought I had missed again, not chasing the animal I let him run and waited till he was out of site.

Walking the distance to the shot location it was indeed 40 yards and I felt great when I spotted my arrow covered in blood!

post-3421-1250870454.jpg

Remembering to not pursue the deer I went back to camp and found my buddies still not back from the morning hunt. So I waited about 30 min and on my way back to the kill site I was stopped by a camp just down the road from ours and spoke with the gentelmen there. Telling my story they offered to help and suggested we wait a little longer.

About an hour later they helped me begin my search and we found some blood, (although not much) it gave clues to the direction the deer had left the area. An hour went by and no luck, these guys were packed to leave and wished me luck.

Checking camp and no help yet I went over to another road where some hunters were we had fellowshipped with the days before they came over to help search. It began to rain a little which did not help the blood situation at all.

They were exicted to help, but we had no more luck. Meanwhile my buddie came by and joined in the search. No luck still!

He left for home and I was left alone to search. The other guys I was with were searching for our fellow hunter who was turned around in the woods a few miles north of me.(although I was not aware of that till much later)

By myself and not sure what to do, I began to ask the Lord to help me find this deer as I did not want to waste my kill and leave it for predetors. Walking over the trail again I went to the bottom of the little drainage and felt I should go up the other side and walk down about 100 yards and the then cross over and back along other side. So I did, about an hour later I was making my way through some thick stuff and much to my suprise The deer jumped up about 25 yards right in front of me. I was stunned and instanlty froze in my boots!

He did not run but hobbled a few steps and just stood there staring at me. The trees were thick and I could only see his horns and his rear quarters. I thought I should just wait for him to lay down and die so I just stood there and so did he. It must have seemed like 45 min or longer. Many thoughts running through my mind I decided the best thing to do was take another shot with a mecanical to get through the sticks. I could see a clear shot to his hide quarters so I took the shot and it hit him solid and he broke the arrow in half. He bolted and I thought I lost him again. Making my way to look for him I could hear him breathing, but the little draw I was in the sound bounces around and I could not pin point his location.

Finally I turned around and walked about 50 yards and caught site of him laying down, going over to him just as he let out his last breath. The rest of the story is me gutting him there and getting him back to camp, up in a tree and skinned and quartered into a large ice chest.

He my not be a big fellow, but to me this was an adventure I will never forget.

I hope you enjoy the story,add I just want to say that hunters are are some of the greatest people you will ever meet. Solid folks who are more than willing to help.

My buddie who was lost? every hunter in a five mile radius stopped what they were doing and helped look for him, and continued until he was found.

post-3421-1250872048.jpg

Glad it worked out and you found the buck and some benevolent hunters.

Was the first shot the one seen in the photo- ahead of the shoulder?

RR

Yeah it sure was if you look at the lung/heart you can see where the cuts to the lungs are, the top of the heart also was sliced a little.