W.O.T

using a ground blind

Just wonderin how you use the blind... Window netting down or up? I'm out here right now in it and my buddy is sitting in my tree stand.

If you leave the netting up you will be more unseen and make sure you only have a few windows open leaving the back closed so it will black out like cactusjack says.

I shot my buck last week with the netting up. Up until that day, I was sitting with the netting down, but the breeze was blowing the netting around a little. It also let too much light in, making me more visible inside. Don't worry about shooting through the netting. It won't make a difference.

I keep all the windows closed except for the one that I would hope to shoot out of. If I have a viewing area behind me or to the side, I will fold the corner up a tad to give me something just to peak out of, I keep it as dark inside as possible, I prefer to where a black or very dark long sleeve shirt and black face mask and or cap. On my recent antelope hunt, I wore short sleeve shirts and no face mask, it was just too darn hot! I also like to set my Double Bull up so I am shooting corner to corner and that puts me as far away from the open window as possible. Move slow....I do not always use netting but I have shot Coues and turkey both thru netting with no issues.

If you are using fixed blades, keep the netting up to take full advantage of the cover. If you are using expandable blades, keep it down unless you do some testing to show that netting will not effect your expandable point of impact. I thoroughly tested Rage 2 blades through netting, and found that the netting affected the point of impact significantly about 50% of the time.

In either case, keep it as dark as possible by keeping all other windows closed. Keeping all other windows closed will also help contain your scent. Fill the cracks between your blind and the ground with loose dirt. Fill the cracks in your windows with black material. Put the blind entrance zipper on the front or side of the blind. If you put it behind you, light will leak through and silhouette you. Lay down an old flannel sleeping bag in the bottom of the blind to keep the leaves, needles, rocks, etc. from making noise.

If you shoot with the netting down, wear all black. If you shoot with the netting up, wear black or camo.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Mark