hoghntr

**UPDATE!! * i need some prayers please *

I have had medical problems since shortly after first gulf war and sommalia deployment. i have put up quite a fight but have started loosing my grip on things.. it is easy to forget this matter is not in my control, GOD WILL PUT ME THROUGH WHATEVER HE FEELS NECCESSARY TO MAKE ME THE MAN, HUSBAND, FATHER THAT I AM OR THE PERSON HE WANTS ME TO BE.

I love the outdoors and hunting but i am puting alot in jeopardy doing thes activities. i had multiple hip surgeries to try and put off needing replacements and then hiked, hauled gear, animals etc. in and out of woods. NOT GOOD! i have jeopardized my relationship with wife by pushing myself to the point of needing surgery after surgery and with that comes the responsibility for her to take care of me every single time post op.. how do i quit doing this thing i love so much? how do i quit and not teach my children the thing i love so much.

my prayer request was for the pain i am suffering and the hip replacement that is now imminent. but i need prayer for the whole thing. i am always in pain and frankly my wife is sick of hearing it. i am 37 and hips only last so long and they can only do so many... for now i will still hunt elk next week then come home and face reality. thanks and GOD BLESS. MIKE

July 28, 2010

I have myself a new hip!!! :rolleyes: less pain the day after surgery than the day before without a doubt! i had an anterior aproach so through the front instead of rear. none of the same restrictions as when they cut the muscles when they go through the butt. :( scary letting them go crazy with a knife up front but well worth it. 4.5" scar and i was cruisin a walker around nurses station the day after surgery. i am 6 days post surgery at home alone and doing fine. AMAZING what can be done now. I fully feel God guided me to this other method of replacement and my surgeon who turned out to be big hunter and a religious man. Let go and let God and things turn out just how He intended them to be ya know. NOW I MUST SAY THIS... an anterior hip is not as commonly used less doctors are trained in it and he had never done one on a 38 yr old 6' 2" tall guy weighing 245#. i knew he was a little nervous yet confident and saw my situation as a challenge and when i saw his face after and it was full of pride in his work i thanked God immediately!!! if anyone has questions about this type of hip i will answer what i can and give you progress reports. I.M.O. i have no idea why every surgeon does not learn this method and put it in to practice. 6 days after surgery and i just got back from celabratory cold stone ice cream trip, yes i used walker but my bone pain and torn everything pain is 100% gone now just a little confused muscle pain but NO pain meds except at night to help get me some zzz's.

thanks for all the prayers and all the support since i am a vet please pray for those in harms way now and those that are returning so messed up in many ways. to the soldiers we have lost i thank them and their families for the ultimate sacrifices they have given for our freedom and safety. God Bless, Mike Misker

Wow, I feel for you. And I will pray for you. Constant pain is not something easily dealt with and it surely will wear on any relationship.

I can't imagine giving up what you love, but perhaps you can just find a way to do it that isn't so hard on your body. Hunt smarter somehow. Smaller mountains, ground blinds, something that can get you out but not be so hard on your joints. Let your friends help you more by carrying some of your gear or packing out more of the animal. There is no shame in leaning on friends. Just remember, most everyone loves to help someone and you are just giving them the opportunity to help. It's hard to accept that help sometimes, but think about all the times you gave someone help and how it made you feel; it's a good feeling isn't it?

Hang in there!

Amanda

Mike, I have know of your condition since your deer hunt and my prayers are with you.

I also live in constant pain and have an idea what you are going threw :(

As you know, I am friends with the guys that helped recover your deer and let me tell

you that it was a true pleasure for them to help you out and they look forward to doing it again

on your upcoming elk hunt more than anything.

I also would feel blessed if I were able to help you. (Amber is ready to roll as is my pack)

It truly is hard to ask for help but I have learned that people love doing it for people in need.

I am scheduling my surgery for nov. after my deer hunt and know I will also have to ask for help.

The Docs. are saying 6 months before I can shoot a gun :(

I understand your condition is worse than mine but please try to live your life to the fullest and do not be ashamed to let people help you as they love doing it ;)

Stay the course, my Friend! You are a very tough man... and I know there is much tug-o-war in your life with the physical He!! that you endure. Hang tough.... our prayers will be for you during this tough time and in your special hunt.... I only wish I could be there on opening day to see you hold that big bull! Find the strength to trudge forward... embrace you your family... and challenge your fears. God Bless. ;)

Thanks for the prayers and words of encouragement and offers of help. I may just take the offers for help, well see when he hits the ground. I have some help first couple days but if he hits the ground on say the following wednesday :o i would definitely be dialing every # i have to save the meat!!!! After all, trophys are nice but meat is edible ;) THANX, MIKE

Mike, I will be sure to pray for you as well. Not too sure what to say, but will definitely speak to HIM on your behalf. I think you are doing the right thing by sharing things with friends and asking for help. Shows humility. Thought I might share a few thoughts that came to mind as I read your post. Don’t know if they will help, but I hope so. There have been a few people to have to endure pain before, like Job, Paul, David and obviously Christ. I love how Job responded to his situation, after his “conversation” with the Lord, and God had questioned him, his response in 42:5 after all the pain he had suffered through, was “My ears had heard of you, but now my eyes have seen you.” And his relationship with God was much closer because of the pain he had gone through.

David, when he was on the run from Saul, had to deal with a lot as well, and through the book of Psalms he learned a lot about dealing with grief. Here is what he wrote in Psalm 20:

1 May the LORD answer you when you are in distress;

may the name of the God of Jacob protect you.

2 May he send you help from the sanctuary

and grant you support from Zion.

3 May he remember all your sacrifices

and accept your burnt offerings.

4 May he give you the desire of your heart

and make all your plans succeed.

5 We will shout for joy when you are victorious

and will lift up our banners in the name of our God.

May the LORD grant all your requests.

6 Now I know that the LORD saves his anointed;

he answers him from his holy heaven

with the saving power of his right hand.

7 Some trust in chariots and some in horses,

but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.

8 They are brought to their knees and fall,

but we rise up and stand firm.

9 O LORD, save the king!

Answer [a] us when we call!

Then in Psalm 37 he said:

4 Delight yourself in the LORD

and he will give you the desires of your heart.

This verse applies to your situation I think. He knows your emotions and desires and he feels your pain. For whatever reason, but surely there is one, he has allowed you to be where you are, and experience what you are going through. You are right on when you say “GOD WILL PUT ME THROUGH WHATEVER HE FEELS NECESSARY TO MAKE ME THE MAN, HUSBAND, FATHER THAT I AM OR THE PERSON HE WANTS ME TO BE.”

I don’t want you to feel like I am preaching at you, just sharing from the heart. I also don’t want to give advice or tell you what to do. Scripture tells us what David said, delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. If you can do your part of that, He wont fail in His part.

Also, thanks for your service to the county, means a whole lot to a lot of us.

Darren

Mike, sent you a PM.

I agree with Amanda and Mike, well everyone actually. Just keep the faith. You do not have to give up your passion, as Amanda said you will need to hunt smarter. There is always more than one way to skin a cat! :lol: :lol:

Kathi

Hang in there buddy! Amanda and the others gave you some great advice. We can only do,what we can do, even if our pride gets in the way of our physical capabilities. Hunting will not be over for you, and the pain will lessen, you will just have to adjust for it.

Even though my situation is not as severe as yours, my bad back needs attention, and with no insurance and pre existing condition B.S, I will probably have to pay for it myself when I can.

I have had to take a different approach to some hunting, especially when it comes to packing out game. I can't throw a hundred pound elk quarter on my pack, with out fear of possibly throwing out my back, and if I go down, it will be hard to walk out of the mountains unassisted. I would love to do backpacking trips on my hunt, but I can't risk all that weight on my back for days at a time.

My prayers and best wishes for you and a speedy recovery!

hey Mike - ya need help = prayers - hunting -packin- I got no real plans other than the prayers sent your way - give a call - never be afraid to ask for help - Gary

Hang in there brother. He has a plan for every one of us. My prayers are with you. You may have to change the way you do things but it doesn't mean it will be any less challenging or less enjoyable. Keep an open mind and heart and things will improve. Guys like you give me inspiration. Since I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis I tend to get caught up in the pain. Not because it's unbearable but because it's annoying. Then I hear from guys like yourself who manage to accomplish a lot more than myself while suffering a lot more and I kick myself square in the butt and tell myself to count my blessings!

Lee

Mike, I just received this in an Email.

I thought it fitting.

SPECIAL GROCERY LIST

Louise Redden, a poorly dressed lady with a look of defeat on her face, walked into a grocery store.

She approached the owner of the store in a most humble manner and asked if he would let her charge a few groceries.

She softly explained that her husband was very ill and unable to work, they had seven children and they needed food..

John Longhouse, the grocer, scoffed at her and requested that she leave his store at once.

Visualizing the family needs, she said: 'Please, sir! I will bring you the money just as soon as I can.'

John told her he could not give her credit, since she did not have a charge account at his store.

Standing beside the counter was a customer who overheard the conversation between the two. The customer walked forward and told the grocer that he would stand good for whatever she needed for her family. The grocer said in a very reluctant voice, 'Do you have a grocery list?'

Louise replied, 'Yes sir.' 'O.K' he said, 'put your grocery list on the scales and whatever your grocery list weighs, I will give you that amount in groceries.'

Louise hesitated a moment with a bowed head, then she reached into her purse and took out a piece of paper and scribbled something on it. She then laid the piece of paper on the scale carefully with her head still bowed.

The eyes of the grocer and the customer showed amazement when the scales went down and stayed down.

The grocer, staring at the scales, turned slowly to the customer and said begrudgingly, 'I can't believe it.'

The customer smiled and the grocer started putting the groceries on the other side of the scales. The scale did not balance so he continued to put more and more groceries on them until the scales would hold no more.

The grocer stood there in utter disgust. Finally, he grabbed the piece of paper from the scales and looked at it with greater amazement.

It was not a grocery list, it was a prayer, which said:

'Dear Lord, you know my needs and I am leaving this in your hands.'

The grocer gave her the groceries that he had

gathered and stood in stunned silence.

Louise thanked him and left the store. The other customer handed a fifty-dollar bill to the grocer and said; 'It was worth every penny of it. Only God Knows how much a prayer weighs.'

THE POWER: When you receive this, say a prayer. That's all you have to do.

Just stop right now, and say a prayer of thanks for your own good fortune. Then please send this to all your friends and relatives.

I believe if you will send this testimony out with prayer in faith, you will receive what you need God to do in your and your families' life .

So dear heart, trust God to heal the sick, provide food for the hungry, clothes and shelter for those that don't have as we do.. Amen & Amen

I will take time, right now, to pray for you.

Even fully able bodied men need help, so don't feel bad. And I've seen Quadrapalegic men take fine animals. You are somewhere in between

it seems. Your heart wich sounds as big as Texas and the great spirit, will pull you through. In God we trust.

Going to sit on the swing and pray now...............

God Bless you brother! may our lord Jesus bless you and grant you a complete healing! I will stand in faith and believe this in Jesus name. Amen!

no better way to pray for a brother with my 1300th post ;)

I really appreciate the fact that you want to get out and hunt whilst feeling the way you do.

I've had chronic pain before and it definitely hinders your spirits and quality of life.

I hope you get through this and eventually live pain free. You are one tough man.

Thank you for your service and prayers sent to ease you along the path ahead. I hope you are back up to speed soon, and your treatments are successful.

My wife is severely disabled and I am her primary caregiver. I used to live for hunting and fishing, but for the past several years have very limited time afield. Knowing that you are doing the right thing helps ease the ache, at the end of the day.

I've also spent some time in the service to, although not on tour.

You ever need someone to chew the fat with, let me know

Marshall