Sign in to follow this  
scoutm

Blacktail and Mule Deer

I was back in Oregon for the long weekend and a family reunion of sorts and was able to talk my uncles out of some great old photos of some of my grand parent's trophies.

post-1361-1252470563_thumb.jpg

This photo came with a fun story. My grand parents were pretty competitive with there outdoor activities and the photo shows a great day for both of them. My grandma kill the biggest mule deer either of them had kill early in the morning. Not to be out done, later that day my grandpa topped it iwth the really nice 4X4.

post-1361-1252470576_thumb.jpg

No one could tell me who killed these two blacktails but the kid in the back ground is my uncle who is now 64 years old so the picture had to be taken over 55 years ago. The crazy thing is it looks like tags on their antlers but I have a hard time believing they issued tags that long ago.

post-1361-1252470585.jpg

Can any one give me an idea of how old this one is? I'm guessing over 65 years ago. My grandpa is the one on the right. The body on this deer is huge!!

• Like 2

Neat photos, Scoutm.

As for the pic showing your uncle as a boy with the two blacktails, if your uncle was born in about 1944, and was ten years old, that would make the year 1954 or so. I can assure you that game departments across the west sold tags for all big game hunts then.

I know, for a couple of reasons:

1. ! shot my first buck after buying my first Arizona deer license and tag in 1948. I was 12 years old, Arizona's legal minimum for big game hunting then.

2. 1954 was the year I graduated from Yuma Union High School. I wanted to apply for an elk tag that year, but I badly needed the $25 application fee to help pay my tuition at the UA that fall.

As for the bottom photo, that's a good guess. That sedan is from the late 1930s, and it looks like it has been around a while. I’d say those deer were killed just before or during World War II -- or 64 to 68 years ago.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

I am a Ford guy, but that Chevy with the gun hanging on the racks is awesome.......

My Grandpa was always a Chevy guy - I can remember a lot of his trucks he would turn them over about every five years and not one of them was a ford.

That truck in your picture is the first truck I ever drove. We were moving cows from one pasture to the other. I was 8, my dad put it in first gear, told me to reach down and turn the key off when I got to the gate.

I was up on my knees on top of the world driving down the dirt road when all the sudden I had to take a leak, but knew I didn't dare turn the key off til I got to the gate................wet my pants, what a way to ruin my first driving experience :( :(

• Like 1

Really cool pics, good too see a blacktail.

The one of Mr./Mrs. is my favorite and the little side note of the hunt is great!!

They were probly prouder and more in love in that picture than on their wedding day.............

Thanks for sharing those :)