Sign in to follow this  
josh

Blueberry Eater Down

Finally made it back up to one of my favorite places on Earth, The Alaskan Bush. Was invited last year to go back up and help a good friend and alaskan guide Willie D. he owns Jim River Guide Service, but could not make so I vowed that this year I would go. On day four we glassed this boar at about 4 miles and cut the difference to get a better look ,and then the hard part of the stalk came crossing a creek full of nasty alders that was loaded with bear trails and sign. Then up the face of a mountain and with our luck the bear was still where we had left him from our last glassing point still chowing down the blueberries. We stalked up a small hill and had a little farther to go till we crested the top and Willie saw the top of the bear's back. We had a small alder bush to hide behind , but with the wind perfect the brute had no idea we were there. I took my pack off and gave it to the hunter for a rest. The bear stepped past the alder bush and Dave let him have it. The shot was thirty yards. The boar went down after a couple more for good measure. As we started giving high five's we spotted a bear charging towards us from a couple hundred yards away it was a sow with a cub she got within a 100yds and stood up on her back feet wondering what was happening. After a couple tense seconds she whoofed at the cub and took off. It was a truely exciting hunt and I was glad to be part of it. Going back next year to get one for myself.

We glassed up 55 bears in eight days. Saw plenty of caribou but no big bulls they still nead a couple more good years to come back , one wolverine about 100 yds from camp while eating some Mountain House ,but could not get to the rifle fast enough.

Here's home

One day we watched a sow with three cubs that were ready to be kicked off. They were beautiful bears.

WOW!!!!! One day i will be there!!!! Great pics and great job!!!!

Beautiful bear! Sounds like a great time. Thanks for the pictures and for sharing your story!

Awesome hunt- I've been waiting for a grizz hunt to be posted on CWT- !

AzP&Y

Josh, thanks for sharing the hunt and story with us here on coues.com. For most of us it will be as close as we get to an Alaskan hunt. Great pictures and a congratulations to the hunter. You're a fortunate person to experience such beautiful. I'm so jealous! :)

TJ