Sign in to follow this  
king4wd

Carrying a side arm while bow hunting?

I've heard both sides to this debate. Some say it's legal some say it isn't. I'd like to be able to carry while I'm hunting. Not really worried about the bears and lions and such. I think people are more scary than any wild animal. Some real weirdos out there. Seems that keeping us from carrying is hindering our 2nd ammendment. Anyway, just looking for some more knowledge on the topic. Thanks.

It's my understanding that it is perfectly LEGAL to carry a sidearm while bowhunting. What I've heard from most is that it used to be Illegal but G&F changed that about 5-10 yrs ago?

If your not worried about (bears and lions, javelinas,Feral dogs or hogs, rattlers, etc.etc.) ............well, you should be. I could wright a small novel to back this up from my experiences.

And yes there are some Ill minded people about in the wilds on occasion who you may have to defend yourself from....... Granted they do not kill with their Claws and Teeth ,Venom , Rabies, and serious Bacterial infections....... They might go Ape S*#@! on you for busting a dope ring, A satanic ritual, or make sure they've made it across the border unnoticed etc. etc.

But I'm totally more worried about the " when animals attack" than the occasional idiot human acting like one.

Hopefully someone will chime in associated with G&F or law enforcement to back this up. Or, you can call the G&F office, they are allways more than happy to answer a question first hand...

King4wd, my advise for you would be to contact G&F yourself and ask for the ruling on this or even go there if you live close by and have them show you the law. The G&F Hunt Draw Information booklet is only information and is not a legal document. Even though you can obtain information on back post here it's always better to get it from the horses mouth. I carried one the last day of my hunt because of some foot traffic that concerned me. It's a good rule to have in these times. Good luck on your hunts. :)

TJ

I called Game and Fish a couple of years ago and spoke with the LEO on duty. He told me it is legal to carry a self defense type pistol while bow hunting. Barrel length under 6 inches and no scope. Don't take my word for it, but I carry my snubbie Smith 357 (scandium hand smasher), and hope it never gets used.

Don't take my word for it, but I carry my snubbie Smith 357 (scandium hand smasher), and hope it never gets used.

+1 I carry the same snubbie 357 scandium, it sure is a hand smasher!!!! :lol:

It is legal. I spoke in person with the Ranger for 23 North (Dave Daniels) during the past archery season. I carry a 357 myself and he told me he does as well while he hunts. He says that the main reason the department continues to permit archers to carry firearms is an increasing amount of pot farms in the mountains... along with bears and other weird people. Anyways.. if you are ever questioned, state that it is for personal protection and you will be fine.

Ask 5 different Game and Fish officers, and you will get 4 1/2 different answers...... On just about any law inforcement topic... Way too much "grey" area.......

Sorry in advance if YOU are the one G&F that knows the correct answer.

My advice is to go to the Arizona Rev. Statutes and look it up.

Whitey

It is not in law but a law enforcement directive that allows people to carry handguns, so you won't find it in ARS. People are correct in that if it is under a 6 inch barrel and open sites they can carry. Another thing to remember is that the gun is for self defence and is not to be used to take a critter if you are out archery hunting. Anyway, I hope that helps and if I am wrong someone can correct me.

Aaron