Sign in to follow this  
coues7

What contributes most to harvesting MONSTER BUCKS

One last point. Bob, if you are so against trophy hunting why do you have a BIG muley buck as your avatar? Why don't you put a forked horn picture in there to prove your point?

Brian, I am not against your trophy hunting ambitions. My post was listing my reasons I don't do it and for a plea for people to keep their perspective and honor all the animals. In addition I have met a few hunters that are probably considered the best Coues deer hunters in the world. Let me just tell you those little grey devils have driven these guys mad. Their whole life, to the detriment of everything else, is devoted to Harvesting A Monster BUCk. Even though they have harvested the biggest bucks ever taken my reaction was not jealousy, but of pity. At the end of the day all they have is some impressive mounts and their name in a book. Big deal. Now for my forked trophy! You may have to reload your cache to see it enjoy.

Bob

Brian, I probably got that Muley 10 minutes from your house.

Its probably a little different for everyone, but for me, I would choose the area I hunt.

Being that my unit of choice is so far away, I never seem to find the time to scout for individual deer, but I have hunted there for many years and know that there are big bucks in the spots I hunt.

Just have to put in the time behind the glass an on the boots, or get real lucky! ;)

Gladiator: what a great movie.

It just urkes me a little when I don't get any credit for it...........dismissed at Begginers luck, or luck peroid. Is there no such thing as a good young hunter?

that's just the thing. whats the deal with needing credit?

there's something called left handed clapping. it goes a long way.

in terms of credit... the guys I give the most to are the guys who kill big deer and don't feel that they need credit from anyone else. Many hunters, who kill many big deer year after year, don't bother with these types of forums, or sending pictures out in emails to everyone in the world, cos they don't need the accolades. there's something wise in that. they're the guys that say more in 10 words than most others do in 100. you clue in to that, and you join good, respected company.

Thanks for the Humble pie Firstcoues. really.

I did not mean to come across as arrogant or " toot my own horn" too much or anything, I was simply trying to get it across that I worked very hard and put everything I had into harvesting that buck. And it could work for others and myself again hopefully.

It just urkes me a little when I don't get any credit for it...........dismissed at Begginers luck, or luck peroid. Is there no such thing as a good young hunter?

No king kong here, or pro coues hunter. Just a young man, cursed by a Big buck, that will try his best to make the majic happen again, believeing he did everything right and can do it again. Yes, your right, I've set myself up for even more badgering if I get a small one or none at all. Seems, I have put most the pressure on myself of course.

This is what Bobbyo was saying about competiton within your own mind I guess. I should probly lower my goals to make others feel better and myself if I fail, or just not listen to all this and go Git-R-done. Food for thought, Time will tell.............

If he really is my Buck Of A lifetime, or just the first of many........ I'll be happy either way I guess. Ok, Forkie or bust!!! lol , there, I've now set myself up for great success, and tender meat :D . no wait, spike unicorn or nothin!!!!!!!!

Not, 100in will satisfy me, personally. no wait 85, no a straight 3x3, o brother, I'm competing with myself again :lol: :lol: :rolleyes: :P

Before you start back peddling, denying the "arrogant or tooting your own horn" Remeber this..

You WERE arrogant, you were tooting your own horn to an EXTREME level. Saying your not lucky, your good after you kill ONE COUES DEER... Eat that humble pie, hunt hard, and kill a buck you want to kill whether it be a 130" 10x11 nontypical, A 80" 3x3 who has awesome mass, or is super wide, or a dang spike that is going to make a nice steak or two. But PLEASE have a HUGE slice of humble pie, and quit TELLING people how amazing of a coues hunter you are. IF you are as "good" as you say, the trophies you hang your tag on year to year will do the speaking for themselves and you wont have to say another word but type up the story. That will win you respect more than anything.

Come on guys! Is this going to turn into a Monster Muley Website where everyone ends up in a forum brawl because of a difference in point of view? If you don't think like me, then I am going to bash you for it????????????????

The original poster asked an honest question about hunting tactics!

I will let ya know when I shoot a big one what the secret was!

On the other hand, I am TERRIBLE at passing on deer! Take for example my December hunt... Shot one of the first good 3x3's I saw. Also, not rushing the shot is important too! Had a really really nice buck (105 +/-) in my scope last year.. Didnt get him becaise I didnt have a perfect shot.

Skull plates are pretty small on a Coues Casey

Maybe you should start shooting for the boiler room ;)

I also have not held out for a larger bucks except for last year.

Oh and 2 years earlier when I passed a 90 +- because of the 100 +-

that just did not come all the way in the day before

I really feel other than luck, time spent scouting and hunting

play the biggest roll in harvesting a big buck.

Scheduled surgery today for Nov 6th and after recovery,

look out because the GameHauler will once again be the

BIG GameGetter :D

Time is coming for Amber to roll ;)

You must be taking your Ginko Biloba old man, because you remember MY hunts more than your own...

Can't blame someone for remembering your hunt over theirs. I have seen you in action and all I can say is aim for the heart not the head!

Brian, I am not against your trophy hunting ambitions. My post was listing my reasons I don't do it and for a plea for people to keep their perspective and honor all the animals. In addition I have met a few hunters that are probably considered the best Coues deer hunters in the world. Let me just tell you those little grey devils have driven these guys mad. Their whole life, to the detriment of everything else, is devoted to Harvesting A Monster BUCk. Even though they have harvested the biggest bucks ever taken my reaction was not jealousy, but of pity. At the end of the day all they have is some impressive mounts and their name in a book. Big deal. Now for my forked trophy! You may have to reload your cache to see it enjoy.

Bob

Bob,

I understand the point you are making and I appreciate it. There is definately such a thing as "unhealthy" trophy hunting addiction just like there are unhealthy addictions to gambling or alchohol. When you get to the point that you do anything at any cost to get it, that is an unhealthy addiction. Many people do gamble and drink responsibly though.

So the moral of the story is, TROPHY HUNT RESPONSIBLY! ;)

P.S. Nice forked horn! I personally liked the big muley better but that is just me ;)

One last point. Bob, if you are so against trophy hunting why do you have a BIG muley buck as your avatar? Why don't you put a forked horn picture in there to prove your point?

Bob

Wasn't that a 6 1/2. spike/ drop tine in 2006? Bob

Again another interesting thread. What I get from all of this is that we are all very passionate hunters. We all have our different views that's for sure. It is good to see that everyone can agree to disagree.

OK then. So far this year there have been some unbelievable bucks taken. I sure there are going to me a lot more. Maybe one of the best in the years. So again, Why are these big boys slipping up. It's not the rut. Could it really be as easy as there is no water out there? Maybe there are a lot of corn/salt buffets out there. Maybe it's "I'm trying to grow some antler's here dude, Can this wait until I can think straight". I don't know? What is bringing these guys out of their comfort zone? How do you harvest a Monster Buck? Not from here my friend..Not from here.. Peace :)

I guess other than the arguing this is really a great thread. Thus far the concensus seems to be scouting and patience with a touch of luck :)

Guest 300ultramag.

Casey good posts buddy! This guy rubbed you the wrong way, never heard you speak so well!

JMP good point! them lines is worth quoting....

I say kill a big buck and tell no one... then your the man..

some people seek validation through accomplishments which is quite common but the day you seek validation from the creator is when you that void is filled.... I dont go to church but I read that somewheres

Thanks for the Humble pie Firstcoues. really.

I did not mean to come across as arrogant or " toot my own horn" too much or anything, I was simply trying to get it across that I worked very hard and put everything I had into harvesting that buck. And it could work for others and myself again hopefully.

No king kong here, or pro coues hunter. Just a young man, cursed by a Big buck, that will try his best to make the majic happen again, believeing he did everything right and can do it again. Yes, your right, I've set myself up for even more badgering if I get a small one or none at all. Seems, I have put most the pressure on myself of course.

This is what Bobbyo was saying about competiton within your own mind I guess. I should probly lower my goals to make others feel better and myself if I fail, or just not listen to all this and go Git-R-done. Food for thought, Time will tell.............

If he really is my Buck Of A lifetime, or just the first of many........ I'll be happy either way I guess. Ok, Forkie or bust!!! lol , there, I've now set myself up for great success, and tender meat :D . no wait, spike unicorn or nothin!!!!!!!!

Not, 100in will satisfy me, personally. no wait 85, no a straight 3x3, o brother, I'm competing with myself again :lol: :lol: :rolleyes: :P

Before you start back peddling, denying the "arrogant or tooting your own horn" Remeber this..

You WERE arrogant, you were tooting your own horn to an EXTREME level. Saying your not lucky, your good after you kill ONE COUES DEER... Eat that humble pie, hunt hard, and kill a buck you want to kill whether it be a 130" 10x11 nontypical, A 80" 3x3 who has awesome mass, or is super wide, or a dang spike that is going to make a nice steak or two. But PLEASE have a HUGE slice of humble pie, and quit TELLING people how amazing of a coues hunter you are. IF you are as "good" as you say, the trophies you hang your tag on year to year will do the speaking for themselves and you wont have to say another word but type up the story. That will win you respect more than anything.

I was trying to lighten things up with my last reply to your bashing and make light of it and was even gonna turn the other cheek on your last post, but no more!!!!!! :angry:

I just looked at your profile and it says you just turned 24, 3 years younger than I pretty much.I thought you were at least 40 yrs old by how you were talking down to me this whole time, pretending to give fatherly advice on how to conduct myself :blink: . I think you are the one who is being EXTREMELY ARROGANT. Why don't you just go get your own monster buck and stop bashing me and my buck? If you think I have no experience in the field except for last years hunt, you are dead wrong.I probly hike and scout more in a year than you have in your whole life , have studied the habits and movements of mature coues for years before attempting to hunt them, picking up a pile of coues sheds along the way, and usually see bruisers each time out. And just because you shoot the first deer you see on every hunt gives you no right to degrade me for hunting hard and landing a true Monster on my first Coues tag.. All this comeing from a guy who brags about his first being a 80in buck-so what!!, then recently blowing the head off his biggest, good one buddy, woulda kept that to myself. :rolleyes: . If I change my name to "FirstCouesWas117" would that make me more or less arrogant? I have great respect for my ellders but since your not and have blatantly dissrespected me, Bug off!!! That's a nice way to put how I feel right now.

Eat your own Humble Pie, the whole dang thing!!!! You wanted a pissing contest and you've got it!! I got a long fuse and one helluva bang!! No more Bullying at my expense!!!!!!

Use the Personal messaging if you guys are going to go back and forth ;). Your getting away from the topic, although I like seeing people bicker sometimes :P

Shortpants said it Time and Luck.....I think its all about being patient and having the time to get out and scout more then anything but I think there is a little luck involved

Use the Personal messaging if you guys are going to go back and forth ;). Your getting away from the topic, although I like seeing people bicker sometimes :P

Shortpants said it Time and Luck.....I think its all about being patient and having the time to get out and scout more then anything but I think there is a little luck involved

EXACTLY my point thank you! ;)

Alright, Back on topic. A little prespective on the odds of getting Monster bucks year after year. One of my hunting buddies is probably the busiest taxidermist in Arizona. I get to hang around the shop when I have time. It is real nice to be able to get to handle a lot of true monster bucks. The reality is that about 70 % of the B+C bucks from Arizona are shot by people that just lucked into them. Most don't even realize they shot a true trophy. It is a real kick in the pants to tell them. They think they are getting their leg pulled until they are shown replicas of world record bucks. 15% are brought in by people who were professionally guided. Remember these guides may fill 30 tags a year, but they would be real lucky to get one client a year a 110 inch buck in Arizona. The other 15 % come from the hard core get a nice deer every year type. But most of those do not shoot a 110 " deer every year. Many are able to break the 100 threshold year after year, but the 110 is a huge barrier to most. Think about it. I have a pretty good memory. Of all the CWC members that post pictures, I can only think of 3 that have gotten 110 inch bucks in back to back years in Arizona. Maybe there is more than I realize. Lets do an informal poll. How many of you were able to harvest a 110 inch buck in consecutive years? Second question; How much time was put in to accomplish this? I am betting on a real short list.

Bob