desertbird

left handed right eye

iam right handed and left eye dominate, i shoot right handed, I would take him down and let him shoot both ways, right and left, and see whats more comfortable to him. as long as he shoots the same every time there would not be a problem of closing eyes or anything as long as he is comfortable.......

Thanks everyone. Like the post above this one suggested, I guess we'll go to Cabela's and let him shoot a few arrows of both and let him decide what he feels more comfortable with before we buy anything. He will not be shooting at any pigs that are more then 25 yards.

I would consider the right-eye dominace to be the controlling factor. If he start with a RH bow set at a lower poundage, it will help overcome the initial awkwardness of shooting with his wrong-hand. At first, it will likely feel unnatural to him, so it will take a while to get used to.

If he closes his right eye to shoot left-handed, he will be losing important peripheral vision and depth perception.

eye dominance has pretty much been proven to be a non issue. if you close your dominant eye, the one that is open takes over. bow or rifle, doesn't matter. look at all the shooters in the military. every rifle is made for a right handed shooter. eye dominance doesn't matter. you close the eye you don't aim with. it's real simple. let him shoot which ever way he handles the bow the best and close the appropriate eye and don't worry about it. as long as the sights are lined up, the projectile goes where it's aimed. all the other rumors about are BS. your eye can't bend light, it can't do anything but look at what you point it at. Lark.

IMO, get him a right handed bow. In the heat of the moment both eyes will be open, he will want to leave his dominant eye slightly open, and that will be enough to cause double vision.

One of my archery mentors is right handed, left eye dominant; he would consistently screw up high pressure shots for years until he finally switched to a left handed bow. He is good friends with Randy Ulmer (the Chosen One), Randy is the one who helped convince him to switch over.

I might think that he would be a somewhat better shooter using his stronger, more coordinated left arm on the riser to stabilize the bow, while using back tension to release the string with his right.

IMO, get him a right handed bow. In the heat of the moment both eyes will be open, he will want to leave his dominant eye slightly open, and that will be enough to cause double vision.

One of my archery mentors is right handed, left eye dominant; he would consistently screw up high pressure shots for years until he finally switched to a left handed bow. He is good friends with Randy Ulmer (the Chosen One), Randy is the one who helped convince him to switch over.

I might think that he would be a somewhat better shooter using his stronger, more coordinated left arm on the riser to stabilize the bow, while using back tension to release the string with his right.

i agree i am right handed left eye dominant, i learned to shoot left handed, if he has never shot a bow before it should be very easy to adjust. good luck!

Contrary to some opinions posted, eye-dominance is a big factor; that said, you can overcome it if you want. Let him shoot both ways and see which HE prefers. You can shoot with glasses on and put a patch on the eye you don't want to use. The one thing that won't work is to look through the opposite eye from the side you shoot.

I am left eye dominant but right handed. I normally shoot right handed. I can shoot my son's left handed bow about as good as I can right handed but I have trained a lot with both eyes.

Some eyes are overpowering in their dominance, in this case, you will have a hard time shooting otherwise. Often, the dominant eye is only mildly so and doesn't present a huge problem.

Eye dominance is a huge factor. I'm lucky I'm left handed and left eye dominant. I shoot a shotgun both eyes open. If I switch to the right side all I see is the side of the barrel. My daughter used to shoot her bow right handed and could not hit the broad side of a barn. We switched her to the left side and she started hitting the target every shot. If you get your kid shooting his bow on the dominant eye side it will not take him long for it to feel natural.

I right handed left eye dominate. I shoot rifle and shotgun left handed with both eyes open, bow right handed with left eye closed. Never felt comfordable pulling a bow left handed. I can also pull more wieght right handed.

I'm glad to see that we all agree to disagree. Count me on the list of right handed/left dominate shooters. I do quite well closing one eye or smudging my shooting glasses just a tad to switch my eye. I would have changed to a left handed bow, but with a bad shoulder it isn't an option. I say start him out with a Left handed bow, then he wont have to come up with tricks to fix the problem. Just sayin....

My oldest kid is right handed and left eyed and my youngest is left handed and right eyed. Both of them learned to shoot the same as there dominant eye with no problems.

This may also help I use one of these. Not sure if it will help with the eye dominance thing but it should.

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/in...l=double+vision