Hunter1432

What do you think of this terrain...?

So I was out scouting this weekend and came across this little water hole... I thought it was a pretty interesting area.

The pictures were taken looking north and the order of pictures is from left to right starting with #1 and going through #5. Picture #6 is the water hole centered between all the pictures, due north of the cameraman (me).

A little about the area... on the north part of the ridge in pictures #1 through #3 is a good bedding area...

There is a lot of deer sign on the ridge in the upper right part of picture #3...

In picture #5 there is a game trail that you can barely make out that runs up/down the ridge in about the middle of the pic...

A game trail runs east/west at the bottom of all the pictures to and from the water hole...

I am sitting on a large ridge straight south of the pictures with a very steep decline down to the water hole... > 60-70 degrees!

Just wondering what you all thought about the area and what areas you think would be the most productive to glass.

When I was there I put much of my focus on the wooded hillside that leads down to the water in picture # 3(unfortunately to no avail).

post-3632-1254095329_thumb.jpg

post-3632-1254095395_thumb.jpg

post-3632-1254095442_thumb.jpg

post-3632-1254095473_thumb.jpg

post-3632-1254095512_thumb.jpg

post-3632-1254095549_thumb.jpg

You think so...? The path(road) is posted at the trailhead as non-motorized, do people not care...?

Cactusjack, if you can tell me where this is I will be completely dumbstruck! That would be amazing to see six pictures of some random terrain and actually know where it is! C'mon now, don't let me down :P

I would be facing the big hill in the background at first light ready to glass. I will tell you that more than one hunter on here may know that water hole. There is no such thing in country like that as a new secret spot. Just my opinion on that. If you want to find a secret spot then you will learn to locate those spots holding Coues that you would think should not have coues deer in them. I think your spot has some deer in it for sure, and i would look in the location i said. This will get you away from the guys that will drive the road. They are useing that hole to drink and then they head back to the area they will bed and eat.

Wow... :( I guess that my novice coues scouting skills have been revealed! This next weekend I will go out and find a NEW "secret" spot I guess Haha

COUESAZ, that was what I was thinking exactly, but apparently this spot may be a little too well known. I prefer to to hunt less pressured areas even if they're not as "good".

What do you think, is the extra effort to "get away" worth it?

Since you have the late December hunt, it won't be too crowded. But if those pics are from around Rosemont, its not a great place for hunting with all the non-hunting activity in that area.

It would be a great spot if there was no road there. Its has a perfect ridge with nice hills on both sides the water hole is a plus but keep in mind during the rut the bucks are really not thinking about eating or drinking but that being said if the ladies are going to drink there then you will see a buck or two. I can tell you that the odds of a monster bucks showing up is not in your favor because of the traffic and if there was a monster there he has long been hunted down. Look at it this way ask yourself how long did it take you to find that spot how easy was it to get there and is there sign of people all over the place if so HEAD FOR THE HILLS. But if this is your first time and if you just want to get some experience under your belt I would give that spot a chance for two days and if nothing, move on to another spot. A good way to tell if there is some deer movement there or if there is a buck put up a trail cam not on the water hole but find a deer trail close to the water hole and set up

Get your self a good set of binos and glass glass and glass

Good luck

I would be facing the big hill in the background at first light ready to glass. I will tell you that more than one hunter on here may know that water hole. There is no such thing in country like that as a new secret spot. Just my opinion on that. If you want to find a secret spot then you will learn to locate those spots holding Coues that you would think should not have coues deer in them. I think your spot has some deer in it for sure, and i would look in the location i said. This will get you away from the guys that will drive the road. They are useing that hole to drink and then they head back to the area they will bed and eat.

+1

I'm sure you will find deer there but maybe not a quality buck.