Well I have one that truly stands out over the years spent in the field.

It was probably about 15 years ago when we drew a tag in 12B and we were so excited that we decided to go up and scout around in late summer. We took 2 trucks just

in case we had any mechanical issues. We drove up early in the morning and spent all day pounding the roads and checking tanks. At about sundown we decided to pull into some cedar trees and crash for the night. We were all drinking a few beers before calling it a day and that is when the star of the prank decided to show up.... A very small bat was flying around and decided we were interesting so he stuck around us for quite a while, sometimes getting so close you could have reached out and grabbed him. Well this went on until it started getting too dark to see him anymore and we decided to turn in for the night. I am sure you guys have all pulled the same scouting trips where you just throw a pad and a sleeping bag in the truck and go. Everyone had just got in their bags and was going to sleep when I noticed I had a cedar branch leaning over my side of the truck. I reached up and pulled a small clump of cedar off the branch and told the guy that was in my truck to watch. I tossed the cedar over into the other truck parked beside mine, what happened next was the result of a lucky toss.

The cedar flew through the air and landed on the neck of one of my buddies in the next truck. I have NEVER seen someone in a sleeping bag go from horizontal to vertical in one motion, the sleeping bag was still around his chest for a moment and then fell to his feet as he was screaming like a little girl grabbing his neck and beating his chest and head violently with his hands. The other guy in his truck jumped up too and was freaking out because he did not know what was going on. He kept asking him what is wrong. All the other guy could get out was he bit me, he bit me. What bit you he asked, the BAT was the reply, the BAT bit me on the neck. They were both freaking out looking for the bat in the back of thier truck. Me and the guy in my truck about passed out from laughing so hard. This story has brought alot of laughs in our camps over the years.

Probly one of the funnest things i have read in a long time! wish i could have seen this

The most constant prank we all pull on each other is to sneak a big rock into someones pack. I am usually the victim having carried may share of granite and limestone around various forests and deserts. There is the one with the biting lizard that I caught onto before I was bit but the best has to be my buddy not completely closing the cap on a water bladder resulting in ice water running down my back in 30 degree weather.

Hint: Don't let your buddies near your pack or adjust your gear on the go. Also beware of lizards as some bite.

when i was about 13 or 14 my dad had taken a myself and bunch of his buddies from work to go fish the black river.

we were camped at george's basin and had come back to camp from a morning on the river.

everyone was sitting around drinking beer and a couple of them tossed out some catfish poles as there are some pretty big flatheads in there.

while everyone was bullstienin i was down by the poles re baiting 1 of them and took some extra line out of my box.

i tied 1 end to the tip of 1 of a pole and ran it straight down under

a rock and ran it back to where i was sitting about 20 yds behind the poles.

i start pulling on the line and 1 of the guys starts saying "Bobby yer gettin a bite!"

Bobby at the time was around 50 ish and not in the greatest shape.he ran from about 50yds away stumbling over all the rocks

beer in hand.

he finally got to his pole and set the hook........ nothing.. reals the slack and sets again.... nothing.

by this time everyone was on the ground laughing so hard :lol: and it finally sets in he's looking at the extra line on his pole

what the..... he vowed to get me back but it never happend.

that was 1 of the funniest things to watch he really thought he had a monster cat.

james

Well this time around our victim was Daniel a friend's sons buddy that went scouting with us we always have something you can expect from a newbie in our camp .We scouted 3 days in 27 and loaded up on Alberts all 3 days on Saturday night the 13 years olds were so exhausted from staying up late the night before and waking up super early we decided to fill his hands with candy and put some tootsie rolls on his eye brows gave him a mustache etc heres a pic he looks like super Mario Bro LOL :lol:

post-4762-1288314591_thumb.jpg

Good prank we do is when we stop to glass, then when our hunting buddy is not paying attention, put a rock in their pack. Every time you walk and stop or whenever you can. Keep adding one rock at a time they'll keep wondering why their pack feels heavier and heavier. Very funny!

P.S: Recommend putting in a pocket their less lickely to open.

While deer hunting in UT I was mid-day napping and my dad laid this mormon cricket on my face! Theyre about like a mouse!

DSC00883s.JPG

I redeemed myself an hour later. He was snoozing and I shot a rock pile across the canyon with my 300 RUM (+ MUZZLE BREAK!!!) about 2 feet from him. I needed a defibrillator to revive him! :lol:

I've got a buddy who works for UPS and is always legged up for our hunting treks. To slow him down, I started loading his pack with rocks so we could have a more equal pace. Works every time. He won't even find the rocks unless I tell him about it. He doesn't look in the bottom of his pack very often so it makes it even funnier. Thats what you get when you use your buddies stuff more then your own....lol

Most of our best pranks have come during dove season. There's the dead snake prank that y'all have written about (which, by the way, never gets old and never loses the desired effect no matter how many times it's executed), the annual dove cleaning gut fight with my brother but another of our common pranks is the "you have to bite the head off your first dove rite of passage." We pull this one on the first timers and friends from out of state. The trick is that everyone eggs them on to bite the head off and then, right as they're about to do it, someone sneaks up behind them and saves them from the big chomp.

One year, we weren't quite quick enough to stop someone from the chomp...

Several years ago my buddies and I went on our annual fishin trip to Big Lake. We spend the evening drinking beer and telling stories. One buddy was getting quite obnoxious and started getting on our nerves. I got to relieve myself and grabbed his Copenhagen when I walked by him. I dumped the Cope in my can and filled his with Worm Dirt. I put it back on the stump next to him when I came back. He kept making funny faces every time he took a dip but kept on dippin. The next morning he took a dip and his eyes bugged. When he looked in the can and found a worm he threw up! Great times.

i have one.

on my last years elk hunt i was with my dads buddy and i shot my bull found him and gutted him and so on,left him there needed some more help so on the way back to camp we got an idea to mess with my dad.so we get back to camp and i told my dad i hit a bull and tracked him for a mile and cant find him.so the whole ride back to the watertank my dads all excited/bummed that we didnt find him intel we stopped and jumped out of the truck and there he lay.he was like i knew you guys were messing with me lol

My hunting buddy Jim never brings any snacks and mooches of everyone else. So I decided to play a prank on him. I bought a carton of whoppers and emptied them into a ziploc bag. The week before while on an elk hunt I must have picked up a quart sixe bag full of old elk droppings from a bedding area. I put the droppings in the carton and had a handfull of whoppers in my hand. I was sitting in my chair around the campfire munching on the actual whoppers acting like I was getting them from the carton. I set the carton of dropping on the table and said I was going to go to the bathroom and told him in no uncertain terms NOT to wat my whoppers because they were all the snacks I brought to camp. I snuck around the back of the pick-up and started watching. He waited a second, looked to see I was gone and grabbed the box of whoppers. I yelled stay out of my whoppers so that he would have to hurry. He poured a handfull in his hand and popped them in his mouth and crunched away (for a second). He started spitting out mashed up elk crap out of his mouth and was cussing up a storm. Needless to say, he has never tried to take anyone's snacks since!

We were at my buddies cabin in Happy Jack one year and we had brought up a few guys that don't exactly like the outdoors. Well my buddy has a Big Foot suit that he made and we were all drinking so I told him to sneak up stairs and get suited up and I would take everyone for a walk out to the water hole at the back of his property. I rounded everyone up and walked out to the water, I was the only one with the flash light so when we got close to the water I got everyone to huddle around me and look at some tracks on the ground with the light. While everyone had there heads on the gound you cuold hear my buddy start growling and just came out of no where and tackled one guy to the ground! They all freaked and ran back to the cabin. It was pretty hilarious.

A buddy of mine and I went fishing on the river close to my house one time. We were seining helgramites, but I didnt have anywhere to put them, so I finished off a can of copenhagen and started to fill it with the 'mites. We fished for a while catching a few cats and decided to head home. When we got to his house we had a beer or two and we were talking about where to go fishing the next day. He didnt want to go to his fridge for a new can of copenhagen so he asked me for a chew. You can guess what can I threw him, when he opened it there was about a dozen lively helgramites to greet him. Not expecting them he jumped up and thew them across his house and yelling stuff at me. I just laughed and told him "oops, wrong can". Now every time I go fishing with him and he asks for copenhagen he shakes the can and listens for them moving in it.

A good one we all do to eachother is when we are driving into a new area mid day someone always falls asleep with their arm out the window. As we are driving along we run their arm into yuccas, mesquites and catclaws. It is a rude awakening, but we never learn. The best one happened to me. I had got off night shift and was too tired to drive so I had my brother driving. He saw a cholla on the edge of the road and tried to run my hand into it, but he caught it with the mirror and a pod flipped into my lap. I thought it was a yellowjacket stinging me so I smacked it. I drove cactus into my leg and hand. I spent the next two hours pulling cactus out. Now we have one rule, no chollas.

My last one is one I pulled on my wife. I was always picking up pebbles or droppings or something and holding it in my hand where she couldnt see it and dropping it to hers. One time I picked up a grasshopper and dropped it into her hand. She jumped a little, and cussed me, and I said it was just a grasshopper. She explained that it wasnt the grasshopper that scared her, it was that it moved, and that she wasnt going to take anything from me again without seeing it first. So the gears were turning then. We walked probably 100 yards and I was still trying to figure out what to put in her hand when I saw it, a medium sized trantula. I scooped it up after my wife passed it and didnt see it. I told her to open her hand, and she said NO, she couldnt see it as I had my hand cupped over it. I asked her if she wanted to see it and she told me to put the grasshopper down. I finally got her to turn around and look, but when I uncupped it, the dang thing jumped on her chest. She screamed and flopped to the ground and rolled like she was on fire. When the dust cleared she picked up a big stick and glared at me. She thought I threw it, but I explained to her that it liked her and jumped on her. She still puts in for elk, but hasnt put in for deer since then.

I have a lot more, when we cant find animals, we mess with eachother a lot. Gotta keep eachother awake somehow.

My dad and I were hunting together on the north side of Ridge. We decided to split up for the morning hunt, and meet in the saddle around lunchtime. While hunting alone I found a nice glassing spot, and invariably got into my lunch early. I ate one sandwich, put the empty bag in my pack and continued on. While rimming around through a canyon, I noticed a pile of dried bear scat, that broken into small wafer like chunks, complete with juniper berry seeds. I gathered several of the bronze colored nuggets and put them in the empty sandwich baggie. Meeting up with my dad, we found a good spot, with visibility, to eat our lunches. I took out the baggie and placed it where he was sure to notice. He asked what they were, and I said they were “Nut Rolls”, brought by our hunting partner.  He said he hadn’t noticed them when making lunches that morning.  He picked one up and was examining it, contemplating popping it whole into his mouth. I just couldn’t go through with it and had to come clean. We both had a good laugh at what could have happened. 

• Like 1