Coueser

White Mountain Apache Tribe Elk Hunt

My nephew has a Junior's tag for a raghorn (4pt or less) Bull elk hunt on any White Mountain Apache tribal unit between November 6-12. We have never hunted any tribal units before and apparently are unable to scout prior to the hunt since other it is tribal land. I wanted to see if anyone on here is familiar with any of the units and could give us some pointers as to general places to start so that we don't waste too much of what should be our hunting time scouting and trying to find a spot with elk. I'm hoping we can get the kid a chance for his first elk. Thanks in advance for any recommendations you may have.

Up around Holly lake and Horse Shoe Cienga there have always been a lot of Elk in the Sept/Oct time frame. Holly is at about 9000 ft, so by Nov. it may be a little colder and full of snow, and the road up may even be closed. Good luck.

Depends on the weather, but if you can hunt anywhere, I would start on the Rez side of Black River where it starts to drop off from the real high stuff. You can scout easily by purchasing a fishing license and "hiking into Black River". The other place you should be is in the burn off the rim below Black Canyon lake area.

Dennis

' any ' wmat unit means you can hunt east or west of highway 60 and there are no shortage of rags anywhere. a quick tag fill would be around maverick and pacheta lake. best wild country hunt would be on limestone ridge on the west end north of cbq. a westside hunt will give you the opportunity to look at monster bulls like no where else in the milky way.

luck,

lee

I can't be sure about the unit without any maps, but the area North of Bog Tank (across from Horseshoe) is always a good place to check out. My dad used to get us "affiliate" tags since he worked on the rez. and the elk were always easy to find there. In fact, that is where the Apache G&F posted their checkstation in the old days because so many hunters were coming out of that area with their kill and in those days, you had to check each cow elk for age, etc..

That would be the first left turn after Bog Tank and Horseshoe Cienega on the left if you are heading East on HWY 260 between McNary and Springerville. If the first snow hits up high before your hunt, that area is an elk "super highway" of migrating herds heading out of the pines and into the cedar flats to the North. If that's the case, they'll be moving fast.

If I had that tag, I'd be on the West end. No doubt. Lots of glassable country, and the chance to see a true toad. Especially in Nov. Even if you can't shoot him, still fun to see.

Make sure what units his tag is good for. Couple years back they used to give out "East side" and "West side" youth tags. You also will get a map showing the unit numbers. You may be close to Sunrise area or you may be closer to 3a/3c. Check that out first so you are safe. Also, like someone else said, get a small game license for the rez and you then can legally be out scouting........Allen.;....

You may want to pull up the regs online or call them..... The hunt is not "any wmat unit" it is basically all the units to the east, units 1-5. You can scout on your own but it is only a certain number of days prior to the hunt, like a week or two, can't remember for sure.

Richard

I have an archery rag horn tag there, and we can scout 2 days prior to the hunt........we start thursday so i will be out in the morning checking some spots.... pm me if i can help you out.....cbryant

Thanks for the information everybody. I appreciate the idea for a nice "fishing trip" up there a week or two before the hunt so we can see where the elk are at while we fish. I was wrong originally, the tag is not any unit. It is units 1-5. Hopefully, we find some and it's an exciting time. Thanks again.

I'm from the Rez and for sure you'll see tons of elk out behind the bog tank lake area those back roads start from McNary and end up across the Sunrise lake/Ski area. Another good place to go would be up by Tonto lake Pacheta Lake area... Depends on what area your allowed to hunt. I got drawn for zone 2 bull and am hoping to bag a monster!! This is where the 7 or so 400+ bulls were taken this year!! I'd be willing to take ya around out here and show you a few spots.

I'm from the Rez and for sure you'll see tons of elk out behind the bog tank lake area those back roads start from McNary and end up across the Sunrise lake/Ski area. Another good place to go would be up by Tonto lake Pacheta Lake area... Depends on what area your allowed to hunt. I got drawn for zone 2 bull and am hoping to bag a monster!! This is where the 7 or so 400+ bulls were taken this year!! I'd be willing to take ya around out here and show you a few spots.

+1 if you can hunt NW of Bog Tank...

There always are 400 to 500 elk along the reservation's boundary near Sunrise Lake, especially on the forested little hill that used to be a ski run and now has communications equipment on it. Also, take a look around A-1 Lake and the outhouses at the reservation's border on the upper road to Big Lake.

Bill Quimby

hey i am a tribal member and hunt there every year i would say take your first left after mcnary hit the rail roads for a little and then turn left and head towards the rez line i get an elk in there every year and if its on the side by 3c i;d check out past hops canyon i have that hunt for rifle bull in november looking for a monster