Sign in to follow this  
hunt4horns

Camo job on 7mm mag

post-876-1254939781_thumb.jpgI just did this gun last weekend, all by hand and many hours. Give me a little feed back if you would. Maybe different ideas etc. . .post-876-1254939714_thumb.jpg

I did mine just like that kinda back in the day..Looks good.

post-2094-1254940345.jpg

Looks great guys! But I lose a lot of things in the field. That's got "lost" written all over it for me. On a good note, I lost a skinning knife back in 07 while skinning a bull. This year, while in the same unit, lo and behold, it was still there! Now if I could only find my GPS lost during that same hunt!

it looks great, I have an old .243 that I have been wanting to do this to but just haven't gotten the courage up to do it. we have some gun coat here at work now ,that will work great so I just might have to commit.

Okay, graph paper, blue painters tape, the wider the better and exacto knife. Lay out several strips of masking tape on something smooth like glass. Using the graph paper draw out several different patterns and different sizes. After you have about 3 or 4 pages of patterns cut them out using the exacto knife. Now you will have a page of cut out patterns. Now lay your paper over your layed out masking tape and start tracing your patterns that you made. Once you have what you think is enough patterns drawn out on your masking tape get to cutting them out with exacto knife. (Yes this is time consuming). Heres the painting process. First shoot a good primer on your gun or stock or whatever it is your painting and let it dry over night. Then shoot your base coat first. In my opinion it looks better to shoot lighter colors first. Let your base coat dry over night and the next time you have time to work on it start laying out the decals you made by using the axacto knife to lift your tape patter from the glass. Place them randomly all in the same direction until you have about 30% of the gun covered. Then shoot your next color preferably the next darker color and let it dry over night. Then lay out more decals using the same method maybe even overlapping then slighly and periodically. Then do it again on the next color and coat and so on, but remember do not remove any of the decals (tape) until you have finished with your last color. Some people may use more colors than I did. After you shoot your final color let it dry overnight and remove your decals and there you have it. I used a matte clear coat when I was finished to give it a dull and even look. Krylon camo's seem to work best but use your own judgement on paint selections. Good luck and let's see them when your done. Thanks guys and appreciate all the pm's I received. I may just take you all up on some of the offers but give it a try first. If I can do it you can do it too!

Chris

I am not sure I see the utility in camo painting a sniper-type rifle? Like the deer is going to make it out at 500 yds?? It is an interesting pattern however, but just does trip my buzzer. I guess I am too old school.