Sign in to follow this  
Apatkelley

Two deer down

Here are a few pics of the kids on their deer hunt. Ashlen and Forrest both did a great job. Ashlen shot her mule deer spike on Saturday morning about 8:00. It was with several does and real hard to see the spikes at just over 200 yards. We couldn't lay or sit down for a better rest because the brush was too tall. Ashlen had to shoot from the standing position (not easy to do). She used my tripod to rest the front of the rifle and made a one shot kill. It was a great shot and we were all excited! We went up to the buck and took some pictures and field dressed it. Then, Ashlen and I carried it back to the road skinned and de-boned it and got it in the cooler. Then the hunt was on for Forrest. After an hour or so, we found nice whitetail buck bedded at about 700 yards. Forrest said he would like to try to shoot it so we stalked to within 400 yards. Forrest got set up for the shot but was having a hard time seeing the buck through the scope (it was even hard to see thru the spotting scope). After about 20 min, he could see the buck and was confident he could make the shot. We adjusted the scope for 400 yards and he squeezed off the shot. First shot missed about an inch high. The buck stood up and he put the second shot right thru both lungs. The buck ran down the hill about 40 yards and was finished. I couldn't be prouder of my kids. Karlie didn't have a tag this year but she will take the hunter safety course this year and hopes to have a tag next year. Special thanks to our good friend Kyle for all his help!!

post-1922-1255659336_thumb.jpgpost-1922-1255659365_thumb.jpgpost-1922-1255659406_thumb.jpg

Sweet! Congrats to all of you on some fantastic deer! I can't wait for my girls to hit that magical age when I can get them out with tags of their own.

Once again, great job and congrats to the kids! I was going to ask where I can get one of those cool hats, but I think I know the answer.

Congrats for sure that is awesome! Looks like your daughter got a non-typical spike.....

That is sooo Awesome! B) Congrats to you all! Nice bucks, way to get it done!

KIDS ROCK!

Lance