Sign in to follow this  
TwoGuns

2009 Archery Bull hunt

I was lucky enough to draw a bull tag this year in 11m during the second hunt. It was a difficult hunt with a weak rut most days. Anyway, I was able to get an arrow in a herd bull on Oct. 6. We were hunting A-1 mountain and I hit the bull about 4:20pm with a pretty good shot, but most likely in the liver, but quartering away. The herd ran about 200 yards, and I saw the bull start to stagger like he might go down. But then, a few minutes later as we were waiting, another hunter ran in and chased the elk away, including the bull I shot. We tracked the blood quite a ways, but after dark, knowing he had gone quite a ways, we felt like we should wait until the morning to come back and try to find him rather than bump him in the dark if he was still alive. We came back in the next morning and looked and looked for hours, and finally found where he died. The only problem was all that was left was a gut pile. Someone else had already got to him....

I don't know what happened between when I shot him and when I found his remains, only that the rest of him was gone. My best guess is that he was somewhere between 320 and 335 maybe. I suppose he could have been a little better, but a nice 6 either way. I am hoping someone might know someone who was in the area that day. It was a Tuesday afternoon when I shot him, and found what was left on Wednesday the 7th. I know that there is not really anything that can be done, but I have been depressed since and would love to know more.

Twoguns

bummer deal sorry to hear that..... what time did you go back the next day? was he hit bad enough that you think he died that night? I have heard of people killing bulls in the rut that had arrows in them...

That's a real bummer deal man. I'm really sorry to hear that news, after being drawn for a tag, arrowed a nice bull, then that happens. Sorry bud.

bummer deal sorry to hear that..... what time did you go back the next day? was he hit bad enough that you think he died that night? I have heard of people killing bulls in the rut that had arrows in them...

we were back looking at first light the next morning, but there was a lot of country to cover and several possible routes he could have taken. Anyway, we were right in the area he died by 10 or so. I dont know if he died that night, but I think he probably did based on the shot and his wobbly legs when I saw him last. Hoping somebody might know more than me...

That sucks. I have a friend that had that tag, when I get a chance to ask him, I'll see if he knows anything.

-Ryan

That sucks. I have a friend that had that tag, when I get a chance to ask him, I'll see if he knows anything.

-Ryan

Thanks Ryan.