Sign in to follow this  
mason a

my 11 year olds first elk, 580 yards

My son, Mason jr. drew his first cow elk tag . We had done some scouting ,so we had a good idea where to start,but we had not taken into account other hunters messing up our plan(not there fault they had no idea we were there). needless to say the heard of elk we were watching took off over the hill , so by the time we made it up the hill they were on the other side 500-600 yards away. My son said he could make the shot ,becouse the day before he was hitting the 12 inch metal target at 800 yards. We quickly got the tripod and the claw set up ,ranged it , we turned the kenton ind. turret to 580yards,he took his time,pulled the trigger and dropped her with one shot . I was so proud of him. He was so calm, despite my buck fever , we had the tripod raised fairly high becouse of all the thick brush,so he had to do a standing shot, but the gun claw was awesome.

We both have 30a tags this upcoming weekend for coues ,we are hoping this will be his first deer also,we bought him some new camo for the hunt, that blue coat will stick out like a sore thumb.

I dont post much but i love learning from everybody

thanks Mason Sr.

sorry still learning how to post pictures

post-1975-1255853668_thumb.jpg

congrats to the young hunter, but do you think its good for a young hunter to start out shooting animals from that kind of distance? Im sure you have practiced alot of shooting but what are we showng our young ones. I thought taking youth hunters hunting was about the experience and the essence of the hunt? Just a my thought.

good luck on your deer hunt.

Wow. What an amazing shot that is crazy!! For a 11 year old to be pinging stuff at 800 yard. All I can say is PHENOMINAL! Great job kid. Oh ya could you please tell me what kind/type,(model, caliber) of rifle that is in the picture.

Congratulations Mason Jr. Now go get that first deer and post it for all of us to see. Nice shooting. :)

TJ

Wow good job!! Congratulations and I cant wait to see the pictures of your cues hunt Mason, please keep us posted.....you the man!!

Ernesto C :)

Wow. What an amazing shot that is crazy!! For a 11 year old to be pinging stuff at 800 yard. All I can say is PHENOMINAL! Great job kid. Oh ya could you please tell me what kind/type,(model, caliber) of rifle that is in the picture.

Yes , we both practice a lot at longe range, browning a bolt 30-06 with a zeiss conquest scope6.5-20x50,hand loads with berger 168grain vlds ,for some reason that gun is freakishly accurate. we ranged the distance with my leica 15x56 geovids so i knew that distance.

the other post about that maybe too long at such a young age. I agree but we had put a tone of time in reloading, and practicing.He knew he needed to be good at long range for our coues hunt ,becouse he was with me last year on my coues hunt ,so he was ready. my son wanted this picture instead

post-1975-1255929005_thumb.jpg

Wow great shot!!! Hands down to your kid and yourself for putting the time in! Great Job

congrats to the young hunter, but do you think its good for a young hunter to start out shooting animals from that kind of distance? Im sure you have practiced a lot of shooting but what are we showng our young ones. I thought taking youth hunters hunting was about the experience and the essence of the hunt? Just a my thought.

Hogwash. If the kid can make the shot consistently which it sounds like he proved he could then why not. Everything was legal, ethical, and humane. If you put enough time and $$ into your rifle, amo, and rest then you can be consistently lethal at those ranges. My wife shot her first deer at 500 yards with a similar set up. Double lunged it with one shot. As far as the experience and essence of the hunt who is to say he didn't experience it? Look at the smile on his face. Isn't that what it is all about? I personally love long range hunting. Adds to the challenge. Some people like to sneak in close for the challenge which is fine if that is what they enjoy. Not everyone's essence of the hunt is the same. As long as you are legal and humane and it puts a smile on your face then Mission Accomplished!

Nice job kid! Those coues bucks are in serious trouble!

congrats to the young hunter, but do you think its good for a young hunter to start out shooting animals from that kind of distance? Im sure you have practiced a lot of shooting but what are we showng our young ones. I thought taking youth hunters hunting was about the experience and the essence of the hunt? Just a my thought.

Hogwash. If the kid can make the shot consistently which it sounds like he proved he could then why not. Everything was legal, ethical, and humane. If you put enough time and $$ into your rifle, amo, and rest then you can be consistently lethal at those ranges. My wife shot her first deer at 500 yards with a similar set up. Double lunged it with one shot. As far as the experience and essence of the hunt who is to say he didn't experience it? Look at the smile on his face. Isn't that what it is all about? I personally love long range hunting. Adds to the challenge. Some people like to sneak in close for the challenge which is fine if that is what they enjoy. Not everyone's essence of the hunt is the same. As long as you are legal and humane and it puts a smile on your face then Mission Accomplished!

thanks brian,

my son was right there with me every step of the way as we worked on every aspect of being able to shoot long range . we watched the best of the west videos ,had mark at kenton industries build us a turrett for the scope ,not only did we buy the claw but cade smith shared with me lots of good tips on how to use it effectively, so it became my sons passion also to be able to make the long shot if he had to.Trust me he will never pass up the short shot if its there ,but man it was great to see his face,he was so excited,he turned to me as i was screaming myself.and said,DAD I DID IT. He new I was proud of him.

I do appreciate buckhunters comment, he may not have know the whole story, As we left for the hunt my wife reminded my son to make a good humane shot , dont just wound it.

+1

It sounds like the kid made a great shot and has practiced before at these long ranges with consistancy. He made a great one shot kill. I think we should congratulate the kid not question him on how he got it done. These days we need all the youth hunters we can get to keep our passion alive and strong. ;)

DAD I DID IT.

PRICELESS!!!!!! :) That captures the essence of the hunt. I remember saying those same words to my father. Doesn't get any better.

Awesome post!!! Congrats!!