Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Would you go?

I drew a NM unit 27 muzzle-loader hunt this year. Through some strange twist, I had put in on my friends' application and I was drawn but he wasn't - we assume it had to do with his changing credit cards around the time of the draw - no matter. He is willing to take me in to an area he has done well in on previous hunts as a pre-season scouting trip. On the actual hunt, I'll be going solo. I'm not exactly sure where the area is yet, but my assumption is that it is in the extreme SW corner of NM.

I know there are great coues in there, he killed a 97 inch buck last year at 8 AM opening morning and has seen many much bigger bucks in there. But with all the threads about border security and gangs of heavily armed drug runners along the Southern border, I'm getting cold feet.

On the one hand, I've had a great year so far taking a nice coues and a nice mule deer with a bow. Wrapping up the season with a solid coues buck with my muzzle-loader would make this by far my best season ever. This hunt is no slam dunk but has the potential to complete what I consider a "dream season".

On the other hand, backpacking solo into an unfamiliar area that close to the border really gives me pause. I'm not afraid of lions, bears or even the chance I could get injured in the back-country due to a fall or other "normal" accident. I'm more concerned about having a serious run-in with drug smugglers.

Just looking for input here. I don't want to let the bad elements tell me where I can go and what I can do, but I also have a responsibility to my family not to get myself killed just to pursue my hunting goals. My other hunting buddies have hunts coming up of their own, so unfortunately, it's either go solo, or stay home.

What would you do?

Guest 300ultramag.

i have a buddy that lives in NM. He would go with you no doubt but hes a "strange bird" but a heck of a hunter!

2 guys is always better then 1.... I hunt alone and always dream up some dumb way to die.. shoot even a piece of beef jerky could "end it" it out there by yourself.. but if ur buds there to slap your back... well... .. i would take anyone....... other then no one...

That's a tough one. For me it would be hard to enjoy the hunt. I am always on edge and jumpy when backpacking in by myself, but when you add to the situation that armed smugglers are around I would not get any sleep. Good luck

That's is a tough situation, but I would go...the question is do I bivy or not?

If I did bivy, I would be sure to setup at night in a location that is not "conducive" for smugglers to travel (top of the mountain or rocky slides, etc), once your hunting its like hunting in any other Southern Unit...

Redman

A helicopter could fall from the sky and crash into your sleeping bag at night while you are in it. There are a lot of things that could happen to us when we go hunting. The odds of most happening are usually pretty slim. I think it's ok to be aware of the possible problems you may encounter and to prepare yourself for them. But don't let them keep you off the mountain.

Go kill a big buck!

I've done several solo trips overnight down south, now that I think about it. Nervous? Sure, but like the other say, get off of trails on rocky hillsides up out of washes where it's work to just get to camp and you'll be fine. Although I'll say this.... that type of terrain in southern AZ is where you'll find a lot of bear scat. I'm more afraid of them once it gets dark then any of the human passer-by'rs. I also make sure that my pistol is along on those trips even though I hate the extra weight.

I guess we do not hear much about southern NM. is it as bad or worse than southern AZ? heck do you ever go outside when it is raining? you could get struck by lightning. how about driving a car? that is pretty dangerous. I am sure there are a lot of things you do on a regular basis that could potentially be dangerous and you do not even think twice about it. get a satellite phone. take a hand gun and keep it under your pillow. good luck. really surprised you can not find someone to go with you.

Wish I was free next weekend, I'd go with you. I've got rifle tag the next weekend. Sending you a PM.

Sun Devil, yeah it's pretty bad. I've heard some stories that would make me nervous being there by myself.

Kevin

A helicopter could fall from the sky and crash into your sleeping bag at night while you are in it. There are a lot of things that could happen to us when we go hunting. The odds of most happening are usually pretty slim. I think it's ok to be aware of the possible problems you may encounter and to prepare yourself for them. But don't let them keep you off the mountain.

Go kill a big buck!

+1. I'd go.

I say go. Like others have said picking the areas you camp will makes a big difference. Look at it this way if you camp at the top of a moutnain you just have to roll over and start glassing!

I say go. Like others have said picking the areas you camp will makes a big difference. Look at it this way if you camp at the top of a moutnain you just have to roll over and start glassing!

Yep, that's what I'm thinking! I'm 99% sure I'm going - all this talk about roaming gangs with m16s just got me a little spooked.

I hunted the rifle hunt in 27 and had a great time.Didn't see any smugglers or have any problems at all.I did see more drug agents than hunters.I hope to draw that unit again.