Sign in to follow this  
sjpitts

Eberlestock J107 vs J104

I am looking for a new pack. My brother has the Eberlestock J104 and really likes it. I was under the impression that the J107 was the new replacement for the J104.

But I just saw an outdoorsmans.com ad that had both being listed as available. The J107 is at $329.00, and the J104 is at $249.00.

Looking at the ads, the packs appear to be very similar. They both have the same size capacity and rifle scabbard. It does look like the suspension is different, but I am not sure how. And it looks like the J107 has a removable top fanny pack and more hydration pockets.

So is the upgrade to the J107 worth the price difference? I don't care too much about the fanny pack. But if the suspension is improved that might be enough of a difference to justify the cost.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Jared

The 104 is a flat out awesome pack. There is not a whole lot of difference in the two packs, as I have seen them side by side. I own a 104 and the suspension and distribution of the weight is awesome. I think its 4500 cc without the additional pack that you can add. Its a flat out huge pack that can haul some serious gear. I love it. There could be a few more compartments added to these packs for smaller items, however the comfort of the pack makes up for everything.

I love my 107!!!! adjust it for your torso and pack away!!!

I think these packs are way overrated, which is sure to get me some looks down the nose from lots of guys on here, but...

here is my review. I bought my 107 to use on 3 to 5 day bivy hunts.

The things I like.

Expandability.

quiet material.

Ability to add lots of accessories.

The scabbard.

It just looks cool.

Things I don't like:

The aluminum stays need serious tweaking. After several attempts to save my lumbar spine from an awkward anterior pelvic tilt I took the stays out of my arc teryx bora 80 and copied the curves. It carried much better after that.

The packs are heavy, it's smaller than my bora, but weighs much more.

They are great in that they expand, but they do on an axis away from your back changing your center of gravity in an awkward way. Most packs expand bottom to top, this pack is designed front to back.

There are no webbing straps on the bottom of the pack that allow you to strap your tent to bottom. When your pack is full of animal quarters and the compression straps are extended, you'll have to find a place for your tent on the inside or get creative with rope.

Camo is not a necessity in a long haul pack, but at least the material is quiet.

The pack is very rigid, almost like an external frame, although the straps and belt are comfortable to wear.

The compression straps are not long enough to extend around a fully loaded supper duffle. You can get a set of straps from cabelas that will fit the hardware sizes, but this just adds weight and money (not much).

I don't think that all of the webbing straps on the belt and sides of the pack are necessary, and just add weight. I cut a lot of them off of my 107.

There are two mesh pockets on the side for water bottles or something, but are pointless considering the lower compression strap fits right across them. I cut them off of my pack.

The suspension is very adjustable for height, but is not comfortable for my shoulder width (I am thin). Make sure you try one on weighted prior to purchase.

The scabbard is cool, but heavy and positioned poorly for most situations (maybe not for quick draw shooters). It is difficult to sit down on a rock to rest with your rifle in it. I have also had it impede my left foot while scrambling down off boulders causing me to stumble.

I know I'm not the only guy that thinks these are overrated. Most of my friends that like to bivy hunt cycled through them also.

Anyway, I just wish I hadn't spent the money on mine. I figured I'd voice some things to think about before you drop your cash on one too.

Interesting point of view, JMP.

I have the 107 and have used it for over night outings of scouting and as my everyday pack for a coupe of seasons now. It is the perfect pack for what I do. I recently purcased the Blue Widow pack and the Super Duffle for my over night and (future) bivy style hunts as the 107 (alone) was not as large as I would have liked for the over night trips. All of these pack shrink down small enough that you can have a big pack with you and not feel like it is in the way. I pack all my boned out meat out in my j107 and it is about as good underweight (or better) than anyother internal framed hunting pack I have used.... but when I am just hunting or scouting it is compact which is also very important. J107 or bigger all the way!

I picked up the Blue Widow this fall and have been very satisfied with it so far. I added the gun scabbored and like the fact that it is detachable for bowhunting, yet I can still use the scabbord slot for throwing in a tripod with binos to move to different locations quickly.

My only complaint with the pack it the lack of small compartments particularly on the hip belt. I know they have ones you can attach. I just like the quick access for callls and other items.

The thing thast sold me on the blue widow versus the 107 is the larger meat shelf and the double attachment. It seemed more functional.

Jay

I bought the J104 a few years before the 107 was availible, there was no adjustments on the suspension. I lucked out and it fit my back fine and have packed 70 lbs with no pack issues. I did get it for the scabbard and run a bladder in the sleeve, the weight of the gun and 3 to 5 liters of water up against my back could be key to my success. The stays need to be adjusted on any pack for your shape, same with my backpacking packs. If I was buying now I would get the 107 for ease of fitting. I would say these are mainly gun packs and if that's your focus they are very good.

Since I archery hunt mostly I have went another direction but my brother still uses the 104 and loves it. My wife loves her X1 and I use a MR Nice frame with an X1 combo at times, best of both worlds.

Here's the 104 with about 70 lbs of deer, optics, gun, water, pack and misc. 4 miles out hands free.

DSCF0142.jpg

Kent

I have packed out three coues with my j104 and i have to say it is the most comfortable pack I have ever used. It is a pretty big day pack but can be tightend down with the straps. My only complaint would be it not having some small compartments on the belt, other than that its great and I wouldnt spend the extra money on the j107.

post-1889-1258004897_thumb.jpg

With my 107, I have packed out 4 coues, 1 pig, and Scottboy's elk quarters. Plus the weight from my pack, plus my rifle. I absolutely love the pack! It rides comfortable, has more than enough room, and is quiet!

The only improvement I would do is add better padding to the straps!

Plus, I got mine when I worked at Sportsmans Warehouse, so it was half price :D