Sign in to follow this  
tjhunt2

Dad's opening day buck

The alarm rang at 4am and Dad and I were up and ready for our half hour quad ride followed by a half hour walk to get in our blind. We were to hunt together the first morning on a spot that I've been after a buck I named the Geritol buck. Everytime I get his picture on trail cam I get so fired up I can't sleep or eat without thinking of him. I have always been a first deer meat hunter but changed my priorities this year to pursue him or nothing else. I was unsuccessful during archery season when he turned nocturnal. After all the hard work I've put in on Geritol, Dad wanted me to shoot him, but I insisted he take him. Not knowing how many days Dad would last getting up that yearly, I was hoping he'ld score on this morning. Dad was about done in by the time I got him in the blind and so I decided at that moment to leave him alone or we would be argueing who would shoot if old Geritol would show. He asked where I was going and I said I wouldn't be far. I climbed the nearby mountain and settled in for the day over looking a nice saddle and hoping to hear a shot ring out down below. The day dragged on and after many sleeps a shot woke me and I immediately turnrd on my radio. I hear " Tom do you have a copy? I think I got one. He ran off." I said "I'll be down in 15 minutes so stay put."

Now Dad hasn't shot a deer in about 15yrs or so and at 80 yrs old I don't know how many more years he has left in that worn out body of his. By the time I got to Dad he was sitting next to his deer with the biggest grin I have ever seen on anyone. I was hoping he was Old Geritol but he wasn't. It really didn't matter. You would have thought he killed the biggest deer ever. Sorry so long winded but here is Pa's trophy after a very long dry spell.

post-1903-1256976547_thumb.jpg

One of my most memorable hunts with Dad

post-1903-1256976691_thumb.jpg

My last day at 25deg with a little snow.

post-1903-1256976976_thumb.jpg

Up at 4am and sitting 12 to 14hr days with nothing but tag soup this year.

post-1903-1256977101_thumb.jpg

Can you spot the deer? Only one of three does I saw the whole hunt. Old Geritol stayed nocturnal. I'll post his picture after I harvest him in Jan. Hopeful thing!

Outstanding!! Congratulations to you and your dad! I hope old Geritol becomes yours someday!

And yes, I see the doe, in fact you can see some more deer legs behind her. Neat pic.

Amanda

Great story and pics TJ-Way to go Lenard. Hope your good fortune continues on your elk hunt this year. Keep your feet warm and your powder dry! ;)

Wow this is just AWESOME. A hunt that will be in your heart/mind for ever! Congratulations on a job well done.

Yes I can se the deer in the right side of the picture.........Thaks for a great story/post.

Ernesto C

A big congratulations to your Dad. Its great to see you guys are still out hunting together, and having a good time! :)

Can't wait to see that Geritol Buck ;) I am sure you will get him!

Outstanding!! Congratulations to you and your dad! I hope old Geritol becomes yours someday!

And yes, I see the doe, in fact you can see some more deer legs behind her. Neat pic.

Amanda

Thanks Amanda and yes there is a second set of legs but I didn't want to mention it. Just wanted to see if someone would notice. Good eye! :)

TJ

Great write up of a very neat story/hunt. Congrats to you and your father on a very nice buck! I hope that I'll still be able to hunt with my Dad when he gets to that age. Good luck on the Geritol buck.

Memories of gold right there! Now thats about as successful of a hunt as you could ever have. Great story and pics TJ! Congrats to both you and your dad!

-Tracy