Sign in to follow this  
sjpitts

Road Closures in Tonto National Forest

The Tonto Forest has posted maps of their proposed changes to the road system in Tonto National Forest.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/travelmgt/

You can download individual maps and see the changes. Those roads in red are being closed, those in purple are closed to the public.

I like to hunt unit 23, and took a quick look at the maps around Young. They seem to be proposing to close a lot of roads. And even more troubling, a bunch of roads are being labeled as "administrative"-- which I guess means that only the Forest Service, the Ranchers, and their buddies will have access to those roads.

They are having public meetings about this-- starting tomorrow.

Jared

:angry: :angry: it's all just another way,(through the back door) for the government to try and control us just a little more....!!!!!!! enjoy "YOUR NATIONAL FORESTS" while you still can. :blink: :(

I know something has to be done with the ATV use and am fine with that.

What jacks my jaws with their report is the quality of the PDF file they give us.

They have the BEST maps of everywhere and just give us a crappy, take for ever

PDF to view a smaller image.

I looked pretty close at the area I know like the back of my hand and know they have

left off a bunch of stuff that WILL be closed.

Come on Forest Circus and stop being another pull the wool over our eyes government

run lying agency.

WE, the hunters dislike the rip it up 100MPH more than you as they screw up our hunts.

All we want is to be able to get part way away from the road hunters and then pack in the rest of the way to our favorite little spot.

I sure hope they do not stop the use of vehicular travel to recover game but maybe add a clause

that if you adversely tear up terrain you could be fined?

Very tough subject and I hope all that can will make the meetings.

One other thing to note-- they are changing the rule from "closed if posted" to "closed unless on the new map". Basically, it could be a highway and if it is not on their new map, and you drive on it, you can be ticketed.

I really agree that something needs to be done with the ATV crowd, but I see no reason to close roads that go into remote areas and are only really being used by ranchers and hunters.

And a lot of little spur roads that go to campsites are being closed. Basically, you will no longer have the ability to get off the main roads to find a secluded place to camp.

Jared

I am mad as heck! More rules, nothing done to mark closed roads, you have to read the map to know which road you can go on.

We need enforcement, not more rules or closures.

I will chill before the meetings. Need to figure out how to rally the sportsman, Jeep clubs, motorcycle clubs etc and come up with a joint counter proposal

I think the whole thing should be put on hold until they assess the impact of the AZGFD hiring their enforcement guys paid for by our $25 additional tax each year.

The tonto basin meeting is tonight. The globe meeting is tomorrow. Is anyone planning on going? We need to spread the word on this. If you guys are on other hunting/fishing forums you should post the links and spread the word.

The thing that really gets me about this is that the Sierra Club and their allies always seem to be organized and represented, and the ATV crowd is always represented, but it seems like the hunters who really just want access are not.

Jared

Here is the schedule of meetings:

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 6:30-8:00 pm

Tonto Basin Elementary School

445 South Old Hwy 188, (Punkin Center)

Tonto Basin, AZ

Thursday, November 5, 2009 6:00-7:30 pm

Old High School Auditorium

401 High Street

Globe, AZ

Monday, November 9, 2009 6:30-8:00 pm

Black Mountain Elementary School

33606 N. 60th Street

Scottsdale, AZ

Thursday, November 11, 2009 6:00-7:30 pm

Pleasant Valley Community Center

47533 Hwy 288

Young, AZ

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 7:00-8:30pm

Broadway Recreation Center

59 E Broadway Rd

Mesa, AZ

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 6:00-7:30pm

Julia Randall Elementary School

601 S Greenway Parkway

Payson, AZ

One more thing-- the FS appears to be claiming that only the roads in highlighted in yellow are having their status changed.

But that appears to be a complete fabrication. I just spent some time looking at the maps for roads north of Superior and Globe, and there are miles and miles of roads that are now labeled in purple as "administrative only", but are not highlighted in yellow. Now I know that these were official roads that were open to the public. Most of them were used by ranchers to build tanks and such. But now the forest service seems to be implying that they were never official open roads, and that they can close them to the public without including them in the list of newly "closed roads".

Jared

hello - good ness - OPEN THE ROADS -- whinnin about needing a map - take the time to know the area you want to go when you have a weekend outin in - don't go and then grip - all the roads are closed -

They can't be in all places at one time - most these rds have been on the closed list since the fire - especially in unit 21 -- i've seen countless times where PEOPLE have removed the rd closed signs and or went anyway - ignorance is no excuse -

Just like checking to see if its no fires - its not a big deal - just make it part of your preporations - really easy - the attitide i got the rgiht to do anything i want and go any place i want it HISTORY !!

I like having a map to know what rds are open and closed - i can show it to prove that i can have access - especially if it was just printed off the officail tonto national forest website - which means they have to keep it up to date - makes it easier for me to argue if there is a disagreement - i got something to fight back with !!! Gary

"But now the forest service seems to be implying that they were never official open roads, and that they can close them to the public without including them in the list of newly "closed roads"."

this does have me a little confused i must say - kinda hard to close a rd and then not list it - kinda defeats the purpose of having a map!!??

"But now the forest service seems to be implying that they were never official open roads, and that they can close them to the public without including them in the list of newly "closed roads"."

this does have me a little confused i must say - kinda hard to close a rd and then not list it - kinda defeats the purpose of having a map!!??

If you read the FAQ, it says that all the purple roads are going administrative roads, and that they will not be included on the official map. This means if they catch you on one of those roads they can give you ticket, even if the FS and the ranchers use the same roads.

And my point was that many of these roads now labeled in purple have been open for a long time-- and the forest service is not admitting that they are changing the status of these roads-- if they were admitting that, those roads would be highlighted in yellow.

Jared

AS Far As I have known for my entire life here in AZ if it has a sign marking it as a FS numbered ROAD it is legal to travel if there is no sign labeling it as a road it is an easement and technically not an open road for public use ..... SO are these restrictions on Forsest Service numbered roads or easements that many hunters have just been using ???? Since I was a kid (now 35) I can remember my grandpa and dad stating no number on the road means it is a closed road ???