Sign in to follow this  
Coues Archer

Cleaning optics!!!!

I have both Zeiss and Bauch&Lomb and usually use the latter as they tent to be moister but I also use the brush on a lens pen and used to have a mini duster from my old film days but haven't seen one for a while.

I've used these wipes for some time now without any issues. The only thing that concerns me is the wording or that lack of on the box. The box shows eyeglasses,computers, cameras and phones, it does mention "other optics" and states "safe for use on lenses with anti-reflective coatings".

I have an issue with binoculars and keep finding new pairs in the closet. Started with Steiner moved to Doctors bought some Zeiss and ended up with Leica Duovids. Not to mention the Vortex I bought my son. I won't touch the lens anymore than absolutely necessary. I try not to clean them in the field and if possible, I clean after the hunt. There has been times during the hunt when I had to clean my lenses and these wipes work great after I blew the glass and dabbed the lens.

All my binos are water proof, I know it sounds bizarre but my Leica and Ziess say to submerse into water which I do each year once the hunt is over. I'll fill the kitchen sink up halfway and move them around slowly, I also have a very soft brush that allows me to get any dirt/dust out of crevices.

I had to call Leica before I did this the first time, just sounded wrong. They assured me it would be fine, all my binos still look brand new.

"YOU WILL RUIN YOUR BINOS IF THEY"RE NOT WATERPROOF"

Good luck Kyle's Dad.

I've carried a pair of Leica 10x42's since 1992 and used a ton of ziess wipes and the glass is pristine. I do use air and a brush also. The z wipes are great in the field.

• Like 1

I use Zeiss wipes on all my optics and have never had a problem. Use a lens brush to clean off the dust and debris then follow up with the wipes.

Never use wipes. These can scratch coatings.

I use Zeiss spray and a new microfiber towell.

You can buy a whole bag at SAMs.

I clean my sunglasses OCD

Use the same on my binos and scopes

When I'm in the field I lick my binos. Sounds dumb, I know, but after that I use a lense pen and silk cloth. A little dirt won't kill ya and that way I know I'm not grinding sand and debri into the coating with the cloth

FWIW, I have a pair of Euros (meopta) and emailed meopta on what to use for cleaning. They replied with this... "to clean the lenses here we use acetone. As long as what you are using does not contain ammonia, you will be fine."

Years ago my eye doctor to told me to never wipe my glasses with anything without first running them underneath water to remove the fine dust particles that will leave micro scratches as you press the particles into the lenses as you wipe.

Obviously, you would run your binos under the sink. Instead, use compressed air to blow away the particles and then wipe with eye glass cleaner that you can pick up in any eye glasses store or department.

I was told by a gentleman who works at a leica repair facility that he personally ( NOT OFFICIAL LEICA PHILOSOPHY)  would prefer to dip them in a creek than to hit them with a cloth.  even if alcohol does damage the coating, it cant be nearly as bad as the damage that dust will do being ground across the lense.

That being said when I called the leica facility the gentleman was extremely chatty and incredibly ready to share his experience.  I am sure if you pic your glass brand of preference and make a few phone calls you will find someone with 100 times the experience of any of us to give you an educated answer.  Keep calling and you may even get a technician who actually knows what the coatings are made of.

Most important lens *not* to F up is the ocular lens. You scratch/mess up coatings on it, will have 100x the impact on picture quality than if u did the same to the objective lens.

I have a pair of Swaros that ~25 years old and they are in great shape.  Lens pen, wipes, spray and glass cleaning cloth.  I have cleaned them with all of them. I just try to blow off or use the pen to get off as much of the loose dust ad possible.  Keep them in a case and they are good. 

Lens cleaning should only be done when one is properly prepared to do so properly.  There are a number of methods. 

IMO, best practie is to: 

1) Use a lens brush and LIGHTLY remove  loose dust & debris. 

2) Use a liquid to (I prefer distilled water or better yet, DI water with 3% alcohol although lens sprays are OK) to "float" additional debris from the lens surface.   Shake off excess.

3) Lens paper or optical alcohol wipes to DAB the lens surface dry.  Rubbing your lenses is a dicey practice.

4) Finish with a CLEAN microfiber cloth made specifically for optics.  The cloths will eventually "load up" and need replacement.  Change them often.