Antlerdog

Three tags---Three Big Bucks!!

This season has started out with a bang! Jay Christleman, a freind of my hunting partner Jake Pike, had an October tag, so off we went. We met early on opening day to glass one of our good spots. Before the sun came up, Jake glassed up a nice buck in a ditch below us. He had a couple of 90 inch 3ptr's with him and a small forky. The game was on! Jake-Johnny and Jay went on the stalk. The wind changed and the deer decided to get out of there. I was watching from the top of the ridge trying to keep them in sight. They went behind a small ridge and never came out. After an hour or so Jay, Jake and I went down behind that small ridge looking for that nice buck. Jay made a beautiful shot and his 108 inch buck was on the ground!! Congrats Jay!

post-1222-1258229847_thumb.jpg

Jake and I both drew the early November hunt. Scouting for our hunt we found several nice deer. We had decided on a couple of the nicer ones to keep a close eye on. Watching these bucks all through september growing their antlers and shedding their velvet in early october, we had a pretty good idea where these deer would be and how to hunt them. I still hadn't seen the deer I missed last year , but hoped he was still there. The second day of the hunt I glassed up a really big buck. I took off through the hills to a shooting position, and benched up my rifle. The buck was below me in a mesquite thicket when all of a sudden a mountain lion went into the same thicket and spooked him out of the country! I then realized this was the buck I missed last year! The next day, (my birthday) Jake glassed up a nice looking buck. We thought he was around 100 inches. He asked me if I wanted to shoot him on my birthday. I really didn't give him an answer, so after a few minutes Jake said, " if your not going to shoot him I'M GONNA!" Thinking about the buck that had spooked the day before made it difficult. But it would be cool to shoot a deer on my birthday. At this point I figured I better capitalize on my partners generosity and shoot. With some fine shooting, awhile later he was on the ground! When we walked up to the deer I couldn't believe how badly I had misjudged him! He was so much bigger than we had thought. Gross scoring 115 inches.

post-1222-1258234461.jpg

The next day we were at it again. The excitement was in the air. We glassed up several young bucks through out the morning looking for the bigger bucks we had scouted. It was getting into the early afternoon, when Jake say's he has a good buck! The buck looked REALLY GOOD!! Even better was the fact that he was heading in our direction! A couple hours later and some more fine shooting, Jake's buck was on the ground!!! This deer is a large framed 4x4 with no eyeguards. He has real light colored antlers with drop beams on both sides. Gross scoring 111 5/8 inches. Congrats Jake!

post-1222-1258233379.jpg

The amazing thing is that all the scouting we did revealed some really nice bucks, but we never saw the two bucks that we shot, while we were scouting.

With a couple more hunts in Arizona, and the season in Mexico coming up, I can't wait to see what else hits the ground!!

Jim. you da man! I think I know where that is, and for the right amount of per$uasion, I won't tell! :lol: ;)

How much per$uasion do you need to tell :P

Ya know I do still have a place for you to park your trailer

I have a few contacts here which is a bit away from the inferno

you live in my friend :lol:

Jim. you da man! I think I know where that is, and for the right amount of per$uasion, I won't tell! :lol: ;)

How much per$uasion do you need to tell :P

Ya know I do still have a place for you to park your trailer

I have a few contacts here which is a bit away from the inferno

you live in my friend :lol:

With that kinda offer you are high up on the bid list my friend. ;)

I was just messin with Jim a little bit. Jim is one cool dude! :)

Boomer bucks! Really cool killing a buck that big but to kill him on your birthday is just the right kind of icing on the cake! :D Congratulations on some great bucks and good luck on the rest of the hunts, looking forward to the pictures from them already.

Snapshot,I don't think you have enough money.30b is a great unit :P Good luck on your elk hunt.

Wow!!! Those are some great looking bucks! Congrats to you all - some very fine hunting there. Thanks for sharing the stories and pictures with us!

Congrats to all three of you on some awesome bucks and HAPPY BIRTHDAY Jim!