Sign in to follow this  
SO I HUNT

Just finished European Mount

This is my the 3x3 taken down south hunting with Cramerhunts. What do you think

DSC_0187-1.jpg

Steps taken to make european mount:

1. Shoot coues buck (he he)!

2. Use a pale or bucket that the head will fit in.

3. I take tin foil to wrap around the burrs of the antlers so to keep down discoloring of the antlers.

4. Fill your bucket or pale to with in 3" of the top of the bucket. If you are using a bleach or a kit this would be the time that you add it too. If in a kit they will give you instructions how to use it. I didn't use a store bought kit.

5. Bring to boil and watch the head close because you will need to add water so it stays up above the head.

6. At this point more than likely you will loose the bones that attach to the front of the nose (or I did on both deer that I have done).

7. Once you are happy with the boiling of the head carefully remove the jaw and start cleaning it till you have all the meat and jaw removed, I than replace all the water and start the boiling all over again. If you have loose bones to reattach to the nose area don't worry to much because you will clean them bones and just glue them in place :lol:

8.Here is where I leave the road of usual standard of european mounting and use POOL ACID for bleaching and cleaning (soak the head up to the tin foil for about 30 minutes than naturalize the head with water and soda powder than clean again in warm water. Let dry and than I hand sand the ruff spots with 220 grit and 600 grit for the last sanding.

9. If you don't want to use acids or bleach, you can spray white spray paint to whiten you scull.

10. Find what wood you want to use (I used rough tonge and groove and cut out a design to my liking)

11. Once you have your board cut and stained to your liking position the head on the board, then drill a hole where the neck and head bone connect (heaver in that knuckle) 1/8" hole in the wood and in the scull, you than can use a deck screw 1-1/4" long will work great (do not over tighten the screw)[/b

12. You are ready for placing it on the wall :D

Hope this helps and for the ones that thinks this doesn't sound right well it works for me :)

Looks real nice. Here is my European mount that I just did of my 2009 deer.

Jeffro, you mind if I ask where you got that wooden placard? That looks really nice.

I make them my self. I usually make around 4 at a time while I have the tools out. That way I dont have to make one every time I need one.

Looks great could you list the steps you took to make it look like that.

Another trick I use, is to use a high preasure hose to blast some of the crap off the skull. It works great for the brains. It can get a little messy, and nasty when it splashes up in you face, but I have found it easier to just suck it up and get it done instead of messing with it for hours.