Sign in to follow this  
devilincatcountry

FIRST DEER

What a day! First off, a big thank you to Adrian and Charlie for allowing me be part of your hunt. I will never forget what a great time we had. It all started Friday morning when Adrian picked me up after his night shift. We left town at 7:00 and were making tracks to get to the area we were going to hunt. We finally arrived around 8:30. When we pulled up to one of the access gates the truck didn't want to stop! :huh: I looked at adrian and he said, "I have no brakes!". I got out and the brake line was in two pieces. We drove the truck through the gate; as the truck rolled past me, I heard air coming out of the rear tire. After stopping, the tire had a nail in it and the brake line had been rubbing for some time; luckily, we weren't on the highway and had to use the brakes to find out we didn't have any! Well, we called Charlie on the radio and told him what was going on; he gets there and we made a plan (get the kids hunting i.e. Reyes, Eric, and Carlos). I made a phone call to one of my buddies to see if he could bring us some tools; he lives just down the road. Thanks again Nathan! Charlie called his wife, Maru, to pick up parts in Green valley. Maru was there within the part five minutes after Nathan showed up. We got right to work, think Nascar pit crew i.e. much slower! :P :lol: We got the truck fixed and were on our way. We got to a glassing point around 10:15; not 5 minutes later Adrian glasses up a buck. After getting a good look at the buck, the boys are ready to go after him. Adrian and Reyes are getting ready while Charlie and I are glassing the hill the buck is on. The buck started to act like was is going to bed down. When he goes to bed, a bigger buck stands up. WOW! What a toad :o I told Charlie and Adrian to get the boys while I stayed behind and spot for them. We ranged the buck at 880 yards across a wash. About an hour later, they were within 224 yards of both bedded bucks! I called Adrian on the radio and told him, "Everything that happened this morning happened for a reason." Let's wait them out. Those bucks had no intention of getting up any time soon, so we waited and waited, and waited... Mind you, Adrian and Charlie are trying to keep three, ten year old boys under control. Finally, it's game time, the smaller buck stands up. The boys are ready! Reyes fires, and as soon as he gets one off, Carlos follows. Reyes missed, and Carlos nailed him. :D

I watched it all unfold, 880 yards away. I swear, I heard cheers of joy. The big buck stands up and goes about 20 yards and stops! I called on the radio and told them, "Shoot the other one! He's broadside, shoot, shoot!" They answered, he;s behind a Saguaro we cant get a bead on him. :huh: The big buck trotted around the little buck ,stoped for a split second and then bolted.

I loaded up and started their way. When I arrived, the buck was much larger than I anticipatd! I didn't know who was more excited. Three grown men or three 10 year old boys! Thanks again Nathan for your tools, we owe you one. After seeing the joy on the boys faces, I knew they were hooked for life! Im glad I could be part of it.. :rolleyes: I Will repost when it gets scored!!

post-3949-1259032911.jpg

post-3949-1259033368.jpg

post-3949-1259033494.jpg

first off welcome to the site. and secondly that is an awesome buck for anyone let alone a youth. Congrats to the hunter, and glad you got your rig fixed up. Thank God for good friends.

-sam

What a great way to get these boys hooked on hunting. Congrats to the kid that got the deer. The bigger buck must have been a dandy.

Welcome to the site. That sure is a beautiful buck, way to go.

Congratulations,

--Bill

What a beautiful deer, great looking buck. My initial impression was mid to high 90's but not sure, I like the rest wonder how big the big one was, way cool.

Nice job! Congratulations to the hunter(s) and particularly to the shooter!

That buck looks like it will score in the 90's like most of the other people have guessed although it's hard for me to tell with a 10 year old as a reference.

Way to go!

Bret