Verndog

Lori's Luck.....

Well I'm finally getting the chance to sit down and get this done. My buddy and his son came down to the house for the October hunt and both tagged out early with Cody getting a great first deer! See "Cody's First Buck." Well, with them tagged out, and still with a few days off, I kept the scouting going for our November hunt. After a good hike in on one of the scouting days, I found several good bucks bedded deep in a tree, at the bottom of a canyon. After waiting on them for five and half hours in a howling wind, they finally stepped out with one of them I thought to being around 90". Here I am a week and a half before our hunt dreaming that this would have been a perfect opening day scenario for my wife, as her goal was to improve upon her buck from last year and biggest to date. A 90" deer at 250 yards, with another 3x3, taller but appeared smaller, lots of time......just dreaming for her. After a couple of pics, I left them to be, hoping that they would be under that same tree in a week and a half.

post-1614-1259439082_thumb.jpg

Well opening day came and after glassing up some smaller bucks way up in a canyon, I located some other hunters on the top of the ridge that I had spotted the bucks a week and a half earlier, I thought we were doomed. They eventually went over the top and Lori and I we went ahead and hiked in to my spot and sat down, with me showing her the tree that I had taken all the pictures of the buck from. I got the glasses out and set up and immediately went to that tree and told her I got a small buck. She said, "Ya right." Then I showed her the little spike. Looking closer, I seen two other bodies way up under the tree. Occasionally, as they turned, you could see their antlers. To my amazement, at 251 yards, all three deer were buried under the same tree a week and half later. So the waiting began, with no opportunity to take them out of their beds. Three and half hours later, they finally got up for their afternoon stretch and Lori was able to harvest her biggest buck to date. After a couple of misses, she hit him at 293 yards. The smile on her face was priceless when she finally put her hands on him. I gross scored him at 92 6/8".

post-1614-1259439751_thumb.jpg

post-1614-1259443723_thumb.jpg

Once at home, she couldn't believe how much bigger he was than her 3x3 from last year in the same area.

post-1614-1259440568_thumb.jpg

With really dry and hot conditions in Southern Arizona, not to mention coming off a full moon, hunting and glassing seemed alot harder this year, with deer bedding real early and not getting up or moving as much. But on Veteran's Day, with only one day to hunt, I had previously located a deer route to a different water source. My son and I went in there and after a couple of hours located a nice 3x3, that also had two additional cheaters off each of his G2's, so maybe a 4x4. At 151 yards and heading hard to water, my son was able to harvest his biggest coues to date. To watch him get gittery, excited and to get to see the same smile I did when he was 10 harvesting his first deer was just plain awesome and why I still hunt to this day!

post-1614-1259440301_thumb.jpg

I seen alot of bucks, mostly little, but just never found the one that I wanted. I know that there are some bigger bucks in the area and that I still had an archery tag to look forward to, so I decided to wait till December. But after watching this critter for about 10 hrs over a couple of days, I decided that he would make a great addition to my living room. I went back in after the hunt was over, located him on some water and he went down at 197 yards. I had one of the most memorable hunts, with good friends, family and the awesome opportunity to be out in nature's glory! Thanks guys.

post-1614-1259440538_thumb.jpg

post-1614-1259439163_thumb.jpg

post-1614-1259439809_thumb.jpg

post-1614-1259440164_thumb.jpg

post-1614-1259440496_thumb.jpg

That is just awesome Vern! Huge Congrats to You, Ashton, and Lori!! I am wanting to get me one of those desert monkeys for my living room as well!