Sign in to follow this  
DCMHunter

40 caliber ML

Hi

I am a new member and would like to know what you hunters think about hunting coues with a 40 caliber muzzleloader. I am looking at getting a green mountain barrel and building a new gun.

DCM

DCM, I don't know anything about black powder rifles, except from what I have learned from watchin Jerrimya Johnson ;) But welcome to this great site :)

Yes it would work. If you get good at your shot placment you will knock them right down.

never hunted coues with a muzzleloader. have shot a buncha deer, elk, pigs, etc with one and always used a .50 or .54. most of the timed choked down either a .44 or .45 via sabots. i'm sure a .40 would work, but never had any experience with em. Lark.

I don't know much, but what I have read is that the .40 works great as long as you keep your shot distance relativly(SP) close. Since it starts off at a lighter weight it tends to shed energy rather quickly.

All in all I think it would work great if shot placement and as long as distances were in check, energy wise.

It sounds like a cool project! To start something from parts and to finally get to use it would be a unique. I have always had lots of resect for the guys who make there own long bows and take ANY game animal with it.

;)

In my experience the weight of the projectile is more important than the caliber. Years ago I shot 20-25 whitetails in the Texas Hill Country (the limit was 4 per year) over seven or eight years with a .45-caliber half stock rifle I'd built from Dixie parts.

My first few deer were shot with round balls with indifferent results. After having to chase one buck a country mile after hitting it I switched to hand-cast bullets. Although my barrel twist was made for roundballs, I had no problem dropping deer in their tracks up to 60 yards or so.

I also borrowed from a friend an expensive English sporting rifle in .45-caliber that had been built by Alex Henry in the early 1800s and killed a bison in Colorado with one shot. I used a 500-grain paper-patched bullet at 1800-1900 fps, which is almost (but not quite) as powerful as my .458 Win Mag.

I think you'll have fun with the .40, but if it were me I definately would choose the heaviest projectile you can. Forget roundballs.

Bill

Lets try this again. I dont know if my last reply worked. I don't see it.

Thanks for the information gents and ladies. I am triing to find a bullet mold for the 40 but have only found ones for round ball. I have killed deer and elk with my 54 cal and enjoy it a lot. I have been putting in for goats for ten years and am hoping to draw a tag in unit 2B for ML. I have been drawing a tag for 27/28 whitetail and think it would be a blast to hunt with a smoke pole. I hope I can get this to shoot good enough to hunt with. If any thing it will make a sweet target gun for my kids.

DCM

Lets try this again.  I dont know if my last reply worked. I don't see it.

Thanks for the information gents and ladies.  I am triing to find a bullet mold for the 40 but have only found ones for round ball...........

DCM

Try Dixie Gun Works in Tennessee.