Sign in to follow this  
RFactor

Cold Deer! My First Non-Typical

Woke up 4:30 Sunday morning to pouring rain and talk myself out of going after a big buck I had seen on Friday. I went back to sleep and got up at 8:00 am to bright blue skies and cussing myself for not going to my spot earlier. I told the wife I was going out anyway but probably would not see one to shoot. I arrived at the spot I wanted to hunt with the snow and cold wondering what the heck am I doing. I put on my pack and headed out right away, I noticed two sets of large tracks and was hoping it was the big one I saw earlier in the week with his messed up buddy. I followed the tracks no more than ten minutes and walked right up on the two bucks less than fifty yards away. The big one bolted straight away leaving me no clean shot through the trees. The other one zigged when should have zagged and ran quartering away, I shot, hitting him high in the back, and then ran up and put him down for good. I guess snow can be a good thing sometimes. It has been a good deer season this year, my 13 yr old shot his first Coues deer in October (posted in Youth hunter section) and now I connected on my first non-typical Coues. Good Luck to all and Thank Heaven for hand warmers.

post-2060-1259635636_thumb.jpg

post-2060-1259635754_thumb.jpg

Wow super cool buck! Looks like the extra winks and the weather turned out pretty good for ya. Congrats on a heck of a character buck.

Nice buck. It is always more fun and memorable when the conditions are not as planned.