Sign in to follow this  
Redman

Rifle Kick....looking for suggestions for next rifle

"ain't it kinda sick to bruise stuff to death?" LOL !!!

Just sprayed coffee. That cracked me up. :lol:

--Bill

I hate brakes on rifles especially when I am standing next to someone shooting one.

On my 270 WSM I put a Mercury Recoil Reducer in it. Brownells sells them and you have someone put it in for you unless you know how.

You must be careful to make sure it is level when installing for maximum effectiveness. I put a 14 oz one in and it cut recoil but 35% at least. It is actually fun to shoot now.

It adds weight to the gun but I hardly noticed it on couse hunts.

Luke Duke and I are probably getting a .270 WSM shortrac BAR in left hand for Christmas. We've been good boys all year. It should be a softkicker right out of the box.

Please offer suggestions, I currently have a 300WSM and looking for a deer rifle with less kick and one that is a flat shooter (will use factory loads)

I really do not enjoy shooting the 300WSM due to the kick and knocking me off my aim (plus I flinch....yeah I'm a [you add the adjective]).

My 300WSM does not have a muzzlebreak...wondering if I should install one and go from there.

Couple of questions to go with your suggestions

1. What does a muzzlebreak cost to get installed (this comes into consideration if I should purchase a new rifle), any suggestion on where to get one installed?

2. Does a 7mm have noticeibly "less" kick than a 300WSM?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Redman

Hi All,

Thanks for all the help, I went with a Tikka T3 .25-06 and the thing shoots like a dream, the adjustable trigger is sweet. The kick is so nice, I love watching the bullet hit the target threw the scope. Plus ammo costs are reasonable for "custom" factory loads.

Redman

the .25-06 is a great choice, i use mine for deer and love it! I like to see so many people preaching on hearing protection!! I have gotten in the habit to not do any hunting or shooting at all with out them. I wish i would of started young so i could of saved what i have already lost!! congrats on a great caliber!

I got the light magnum ammo at the Cabelas store, but it can be found on the internet. I don't know if they are carrying the Superformance in stores yet, but the have it on there website. I can't wait to try some of the 80 grain in my .243 on coyotes. David

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0065871216933a.shtml

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProd...erOfResults=100

Redman, if your still interested in putting a muzzlebreak on your 300 you might look at Accuracy Speaks. They up at Usery Pass. They did mine on my Lazz. Patriot and it made a huge difference. They did an awesome job and it wasn't that much.

RR is 100% right on....

Contact VIAS and have a brake installed - they can be contacted at http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/Default.aspx

Thier brakes do not deafen you and reduie recoil better than ANY other.... My daughter has a VIAS on her 300 RUM and it kicks less than her 270 with a standard brake.... and nice people to deal with to boot!

The comment about practicing with a .22 is a good one also - but the VIAS brake is the ticket when shooting a CF rifle.

One last suggestion, most people flinch because of noise more than actual recoil, wear ear plugs and muffs when shooting.

D.D.