lionhunter

I hope we didn't spoil him

post-2950-1259899043.jpg

This hunted started, as most do, with a phone call from my good friend and long time hunting partner Richie. He informed me that we had drawn late Nov. tags in a good unit that we have hunted many times before. He also informed me that he would be signing his tag over to his 15 year old son Cody. Cody harvested a cow elk last year, but had never hunted deer do to his football season overlapping hunting season. He was very excited to give coues deer hunting a try.

Richie and I discussed our strategy for the hunt, and came up with the following plan: I was fortunate enough to have harvested a 105 last year in the same unit, so Cody was welcome to shoot any deer we glassed under 110 inches. (I truely thought he would kill the first 85 that we found). On to opening day....

Opening morning found us hiking into my favorite glassing spot in the dark. I was proud of Cody in that he never complained a bit about walking in the dark further than most adults are willing to hike in the day light! We arrived at our glassing spot with about 40 minutes until sunup. (OK, I might have been a bit over zealous for the hunt to start. We had taken 5 coues deer in this unt during the October hunt in 3 days of hunting, and could hardly wait to get started) With 40 minutes to kill, no pun intended, we took a "dirt nap".post-2950-1259897425_thumb.jpg

10 minutes into glassing light we had 4 different bucks located. I was looking at a mid 80s buck at 608 yards, my buddy Dean had another 3 point at around 800yards, and Richie was looking at a buck 250 yards under us. As Richie and I were talking it over as to which buck was the highest percentage to get Cody on, out steps a forth buck! One look through the 15s was all it took. A 5x3 with 3 inch eye guards! Game on!

Richie quickly and quietly asked if Cody could shoot my .270 wsm; he was not completely confident in the rifle he brought for Cody. I said sure and found a flat spot on the rock to prone out. Nope, too many occotillos (sp) in the way. I moved over and few feet to the right, perfectly clear shot, but no buck! He had moved into some thick stuff. "Game on hold" We glassed for a few more minutes that seemed like hours, and big boy stepped back out to feed. I had Cody get behind the rifle, but he could not find the deer. After several attempts to find him, I suggested nicely that he move... (OK, not so nicely I was ampt up) I found the deer in the scope, and built my jacket up behind the but of the gun and asked him to crawl up behind the rifle without touching it. OK, I have it. I wispered in his ear that the top crosshair was 200 yards and the next one was on at 300 so just bracket the deer between the two, and let it eat. OK, can I shoot? Yep, wack! Big buck down......post-2950-1259898755_thumb.jpg

Cody was in shock, but his dad was shaking like a leaf.post-2950-1259898884_thumb.jpg

The buck scored 100 and 2/8. He is a 5x3 with 3 inch eye guards. What a first buck. Keep in mind that this was Cody's first wt hunt and in about 20 minutes he was done with a great buck. He has know idea how fortunate he really was.

Great job Cody what a great first buck. Also congrats to you Richie I know your one proud pappa. Exallent write up Daren, you guys are having some pretty good luck here lately. How many bucks is that in the last couple of months? You had wood pile full of them from Utah now this monster. All I can say is WOW. Way to get it done. Manny's going to be pretty stoked as well can't wait to hear his reaction.

Again congrats to all involved and keep the streak going.

Jason

Thanks tail chaser. It has been a good year. Antelope in Sep, 7 good mule deer in Utah also in Sep , last month our camp took 5 mature Coues deer, and 5 more on this hunt. Having a ton of fun..

Whitey

Congratulations!! You didn't ruin him... Better to make this first hunt experience so easy and memorable so it will fire him up to keep hunting!

And i hope you had him entered in the Coues Buck Contest!

Amanda

Great buck! Congratulations on a wonderful first buck! Great write up as well, thanks for sharing his short but sweet hunt with us.

Spoiled, but not ruined. I agree, there is no better way to keep a kid excited about hunting. It took me quite a few years until I was successful.......

Awesome teamwork and go get umm attitudes, I know the frustration of not being the shooter and being the spotter and haveing to help the shooter put the crosshairs on umm too :lol: .

SWEET!!! Yes he's spoiled, as I was until haveing a small forkie down after missed opps on monsters and finally filling the freezer after a long grueling hunt this year.

way to show him the ropes whitey... should make next yr a bit of a fun chore! dude, whats up with the cute yellow scarf? its killin your camo

Hunter 72, he might get it mounted, or possibly a European. The kid is deffinately hooked, he is talking about a Mexico tag!!! WHAT?

W.O.T ? "Yellow scarf"??? I am pretty sure I have NEVER worn a yellow scarf, (at least not that I talk about) LOL You might want to put the drink down and look again.

Thanks for all the possitive feedback, I will pass it along to Cody.

Whitey