Sign in to follow this  
Kilimanjaro

AZ bird hunting question

Well guys, I have a question for all of you AZ natives. I have always heard that the are a few spots in the state that have a huntable population of Blue grouse.

Now, being pretty new to the state, I wouldn't have the first clue where to go to find a few. Everything I've tried to look up has been pretty vague on details. Just basic info..

So, have any of you seen any Blue Grouse while out scouting or hunting before? Last year, we took a trip to the south rim from Flagg. That highway ( I believe it was hwy 180) out of Flagg seemed to have good grouse habitat off of it. Good aspen stands, tc.. It looked good to me anyways.. We were thinking of going up there to try. Maybe out around unit 1 as well. Like I said, we have no idea.

So, can any of you help me out? I've been wanting to try this hunt with the dogs since I moved to AZ. Sounds fun. Mid. Sept., bulls bugling all around, nice cool mornings, and me and the dogs knocking down a few grouse in the quakies. Cool!! :D

Let me know!!!

Unit 27 has them around Hannagan Meadow. They like spruce and fir habitat with interspaced aspen patches and those short conifer looking shrubs that have berries on them, we always just called them grouse bushes. Someone told me they saw one once on the Escudilla. I have seen them myself in the high country between Carnero Lake and Green's Peak and seen sign along the East slope of Baldy in unit 1. They also have them somewhere up on the Kaibab. There is a group of guys who hunt up near the Sunrise turnoff on HWY 260 every year specifically for them with dogs, they must do OK or enjoy it because they are always up there year after year. I am not sure if those guys hunt the Reservation or the National Forest area around it, either way there is not a ton of them anywhere that I know of. I only know a few people who have killed them and that was mostly by luck while hunting ducks or squirrels and then seeing a grouse and killing it. I used to always keep the bigeye out for them while up there cruising around hunting ducks in the fall but I never did get one. In fact I think last year they closed grouse season before duck even opened, but that might be changed now. I think with dogs and focusing on timber patches you should be able to get into some though. Good luck.

Bret M.

I saw two Grouse last year while upon the Kaibab around Timp Point.

every ridge above about 8500 ft in the white mountains has blue grouse along the north side. they're real dependent on water and drought hammers the herd bad. a couple good wet years and there are grouse every where. a couple dry years and they almost disappear. just about like quail. they're sorta hard to hunt because they don't make a lot of noise or anything. best way to get em is to stay on the north side and walk around until you see em. a .410 is the best gun. use real light shot. no bigger than 8. a 12 guage is ok, but you hafta be carefull to keep from splatterin' em. they're real tame and it's easy to get too close and mess em up pretty bad. i've had to actually back up before shooting em before, because they won't run off to a good range. a .22 would be best, but it ain't legal. a .22 is legal in colorado. shoot em in the head. i've shot bunches of em over the years. they are as good to eat as anything there is. just about like a quail but a lot bigger. i've shot some that were as big as chickens but they were as tough as an ol' firestone. you need to get a stamp before hunting them too. but they are great to hunt and fry up. grouse, biscuits and gravy. good stuff........Lark.

If you like hiking I have hunted them on the San Fransisco peaks. I just skirt the timber line but haven't hunted them in the last few years.

azyoung

Scott,

I hunted up on the north rim two years ago for a day after I first got Rica, and we got one. The guys went last year, but said it was real tough/few birds. Gotta go early before the berries shrivel up.

There are grouse on the peaks by Flag, but are real limited in numbers, I'm told.

AZYOUNG- About how many birds have you come across in a day?

Doug

Hey Doug, I have hunted above the snow bowl and found some birds usally 2-3 but above the weatherford trail I have seen more birds. enough to make the hike. I think the last few years have been to dry. Some of the tanks and springs are dry but I hope this years spring was wet enough help the bird numbers. If anything it's a great view and a good way to prepare for the coues hunt!

Jeff

Doug, what do ya say? Want to give it a go? I have been wanting to try this hunt since I moved here. I'll load Penny up and we'll take her and Rica out into the hills for a couple of days. Jeff, want to give it a go too? Sounds like it could be a fun way to kick off the season. We'll call Casey too. Give me a shout.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Blue Grouse season opens Sept 9, the same weekend that archery deer on the Kaibab opens. Are you thinking N. Kaibab or SF Peaks? A fall fishing and grouse trip to the White Mountains sounds inviting also.

A friend and I are going to Utah for a week of archery deer, connected with the Labor day weekend. I am trying convince him to schedule it for the week before Labor Day, but we should finalize it after the AZ draw comes out.

Doug~RR

If we can find a bird or 2 in the SF peaks, why not just hunt there? It'll be easy traveling on you and Rica!! But if the White Mts are callin ya, you know I'll be game to head there too..Either or...Both sound good to me . We'll see after all the tags come out to make any final dates. Would late Sept- early Oct. be a good time?? I'll be in TX on Labor day weekend anyways. Gotta be in another wedding... I guess their trying to make me practice for my own!! And on Sept. 17th, we are still headed to MT for the week. But after that, I'm game.

Maybe we can get azyoung to spill his beans on a few of his honey holes!! :D :lol:

Give me a ring when ya get a chance to....

scott, doug, you boys know i am down for any hunting! if we head on over to unit one, the grandparents have a real nice cabin in pinetop lake side that i am sure it would be ok for us to crash there for a few days everyone would have their own room and man can my grandma cook! let me know whats up!

Casey

Scott,

Let's forget about the Grouse. Rica just pointed 3 mallard ducklings in the backyard. Gently caught and mouthed em. Momma's having a conniption flying around the neighborhood.

Think we'll take a hike on the north side of the Peaks tomorrow and scout for grouse (and deer).

RR