kybuckboyjr

Where Oh Where?

Where Oh Where could the DEER have all gone? I've been out scoooouuuuuuttttinnnng all the month long? Scene many of wildlife like coyote's, and quail!!! But you upped and l left the area for 2009/2010 late archery. O.K. I am not a song writer but it was an attempt.

I have been late archery hunting in 24B behind Queen Valley for the past 4 years and have found a couple nice pockets that have been holding both mule and coues deer as well as Javelina (i saw them today). This year however, I have just been stumped. I have been out quail hunting in there since the season opened and the hunting has not been very good. The birds are there just not as many as past years. Deer on the other hand have just been nonexistent!!!! I have been out hunting quail or scouting for deer every weekend but two since quail season opened. I have not jumped or even seen a deer at all this year! There has been plenty of tracks and droppings (some seem fresh, within a day or so) but no deer sightings. I know the deer population is very scarce out there but not seeing even one has got me just pulling my hair out. My feet hurt and my butt is sore from all the walking and glassing. Any advice, tips or suggestions. Am i missing something? I have even sat water and nothing!! Can't wait for next weekend! Deer or not I will be out there trying to figure it all out!

The reason the deer left is because someone keeps shooting a shotgun at quail. :blink:

Seriously you need to start at water sources and go from there. Tanks and pools that have water now may have been dry earlier. If so the Deer will move to more permanent water. Javelina are more resourceful then deer at getting water that is why they are still there. In Arizona it is about the water.

Bob

I was in QV about a month ago and was driving on the road, jumped 5-8 mule deer were on the side of the road just past the RR tracks......but it is a bummer when you out there as much as you and don't see one.

REdman

The reason the deer left is because someone keeps shooting a shotgun at quail. :blink:

Seriously you need to start at water sources and go from there. Tanks and pools that have water now may have been dry earlier. If so the Deer will move to more permanent water. Javelina are more resourceful then deer at getting water that is why they are still there. In Arizona it is about the water.

Bob

there is a lot of truth in that statement about quail hunters making deer less visible. I have glassed the same area just before and then during quail season. Before I would see tons of deer and after you would swear the deer were nonexistent sometimes when an area is hunted hard for quail. The deer are there, just hiding more due to the extra disturbance in the area.

Amanda

Guess I should bring a pillow or some sort of silencer on the muzzle before I shoot the quail as to not disturb the deer!! HAHA

I usually don't hunt the quail in the areas that I intend to scout for deer but that does not mean someone else has not been in there before me. I have been finding lots of spent casings all over. But on another note, thanks for the reassurance from the sightings some of you have had in your visits out there. I definitely have been focusing on the areas that I have located water sources but still not seeing anything. Now that the rain is coming I guess the tactics could change for huntinng this season unless the ground is so dry it sucks the surface water up immediately fast. I'll definitely be checking on the springs to see if any have started flowing again.

Happy Hunting and thanks.

Where Oh Where could the DEER have all gone? I've been out scoooouuuuuuttttinnnng all the month long? Scene many of wildlife like coyote's, and quail!!! But you upped and l left the area for 2009/2010 late archery. O.K. I am not a song writer but it was an attempt.

I have been late archery hunting in 24B behind Queen Valley for the past 4 years and have found a couple nice pockets that have been holding both mule and coues deer as well as Javelina (i saw them today). This year however, I have just been stumped. I have been out quail hunting in there since the season opened and the hunting has not been very good. The birds are there just not as many as past years. Deer on the other hand have just been nonexistent!!!! I have been out hunting quail or scouting for deer every weekend but two since quail season opened. I have not jumped or even seen a deer at all this year! There has been plenty of tracks and droppings (some seem fresh, within a day or so) but no deer sightings. I know the deer population is very scarce out there but not seeing even one has got me just pulling my hair out. My feet hurt and my butt is sore from all the walking and glassing. Any advice, tips or suggestions. Am i missing something? I have even sat water and nothing!! Can't wait for next weekend! Deer or not I will be out there trying to figure it all out!

I will chase some deer to your unit if you chase some hog to mine by Jan. :lol: