Jo Hunter

javelina calls

I've used the bear squler by quaker boy and its worked great for me. I found that calling wokrs the best after you have gotten in on them and they get all busted up.

+1, well after ur busted. I never call unless i already busted em up. i have called in quite a few yote callin though. any jack distress works well for me. woofin workes too. Ive called them in with a sock, true story. whippin it around sounded like a woof. i was dryin my socks out and they came runnin

Wow, a sock? never herd of that one before.

My first pig, busted them up after a couple of misses then called them back useing the quaker boy, and finnaly conected at 10 yards.

post-1770-1260473494_thumb.jpg

In my exerience of using that call in the last 8 years of archery javelina between my dad and I (15 pigs total), the j-13 works BEST when you're within 30 yards of the herd, I found that outside of 30 yards they know it's not coming from a pig and they'll question whether a herd member is hurt or if it's a person. If you're right ontop of them it works great, making stands and dry calling does not work great, once in a while you'll call them in but MOST of the time you won't, all you are doing is educating them to stay away from the calls, use it when you need it...javeilna hunting ain't like coyote hunting

You never know whats going to happen, my dad has called pigs in that were at least a few hundred yards away and we didnt even know they were there. They came within 20 yards and walked a circle around us. Other times you call and they take off the other way. I think the closer you get to them the better though. If you dont think you can finish a stalk then give it a try.

my dad once caught a piglet and heard it squealing the heard ran back in, he learned to make the noise with his mouth, he hasnt had to shoot a pig at over 5 yards in the last 15 years, my shot on my pig this past season was like 3 feet, i have called them in sucking on the side of my hand like i am holding a varmit call and opening and closing it with like you do a varmit call

In my exerience of using that call in the last 8 years of archery javelina between my dad and I (15 pigs total), the j-13 works BEST when you're within 30 yards of the herd, I found that outside of 30 yards they know it's not coming from a pig and they'll question whether a herd member is hurt or if it's a person. If you're right ontop of them it works great, making stands and dry calling does not work great, once in a while you'll call them in but MOST of the time you won't, all you are doing is educating them to stay away from the calls, use it when you need it...javeilna hunting ain't like coyote hunting

+1 agree 100% you have to be less than 100 yards for the call to work.

+1 agree 100% you have to be less than 100 yards for the call to work.

+2 Should not blind call. It can work but we only use the J-13 when we bust the pigs up that when it works the best.

I have called pigs back 3 or 4 times and still missed. :lol:

Have worked well for me when I have busted up a herd. Have also tried it as a blind call and it has never worked that way for me. Website that I bought it from actually discourages using it as a blind call.

Have worked well for me when I have busted up a herd. Have also tried it as a blind call and it has never worked that way for me. Website that I bought it from actually discourages using it as a blind call.

A hundred years ago, the late John Doyle and I called in a pair of javelinas from a herd of maybe twenty. We used our voices to make the "woofing" sounds javelinas make when they are spooked, and then shot them both at close range with our recurve bows. I tried "woofing" a dozen times since then and never got it to work again. It may require two or more "woofers."

I had much better luck using mouth-blown varmint calls and called pigs often by loudly imitating high-pitched jackrabbit-distress squeals and guttural squawks. My friends and I found the secret to getting them to come in had nothing to do with how far away they were or how many times a herd had been called. The secret was to keep calling, non-stop, especially when we could see them.

If they were within 100 yards or so, they frequently bolted when they first heard the call. If we continued calling, they often stopped, turned around and returned single file, their teeth snapping and their long hair erect.

Bill Quimby

Though I haven't been in a successful situation with the J-13 yet, I think it sounds great and will one day help me out when busting some pigs. I've seen calling work before, a buddy and I were on a day scouting trip and saw some javelina about 100 yds away from the road and moving away from us. He'd been telling telling me that calling works, so he pulled off of the road and started blowin through his Zepp's Rattler, and would you believe they immediately turned and ran straight to us! Once they started in our direction he stopped and we just watched them come in and cross the road, got a couple good close up pics too. Anyway, I'm a believer and in fact, I've recorded myself on the J-13 and have it looped on my FX3.

Try this website, AP is the maker of the J-13 also, very knowledgeable on javis. A great little book comes with the call too. http://www.javelinahunter.com/

i use a pig call that sounds like "GET THE heck OUTTA HERE YOU STINKIN' MUSKHOGS!! RUN OFF NOW!!" takes even more of the chance of me shootin' one away. i'm also appalled to know that amanda's feet look like javelinas. did you have on fuzzy slippers or what? fuzzy stinky slippers? Lark.

I don't know exactly how many I have called in over the years but it's been a few. I use the circe cotton tail and it doesn't always work out the way you plan it. I got Jackshoe in position a couple years ago and told him to get ready and I would show him how it works and he turned and said, after they ran away, so that's how you do it huh? :lol: I would say over the years it's been 50/50 on which way they go. If I'm over looking a valley or thicket I always blow it before leaving. Even if you chase them out of there you usually can find them again. :)

TJ

i use a pig call that sounds like "GET THE heck OUTTA HERE YOU STINKIN' MUSKHOGS!! RUN OFF NOW!!" takes even more of the chance of me shootin' one away. i'm also appalled to know that amanda's feet look like javelinas. did you have on fuzzy slippers or what? fuzzy stinky slippers? Lark.

LOL!! :lol:

Amanda

I was out deer hunting today and busted up two different herds and called both of them back with a circe jack rabbit call. Had one come into 15yrds and I thought that was close enough so I tossed a rock into a bush to scare him off and he attacked the bush! :lol:

Good to hear about the experiences...

I tried it once and a yote came in within 20 seconds, and then with Javy's, after walking into a group of them and when spooked, i blew lightly into the j-13 and they spooked further and ran .. I think AZP&Y/Doug hurt himself by busting a gut laughing so hard. <_<