Sign in to follow this  
TAM

It's Game Time!

The Mecico coues deer season is finally here!

Many of you know that with the help of Steven Ward we were able to secure the tags and hunting rights to a private ranch in Sonora. Only ten hunters (eleven tags) and nearly 50 square miles of prime coues deer country. We have the entire season to hunt and plan on making multiple trips as necessary. Some of us were able to scout the ranch in August and some real nice velvet bucks were located. Expectations are high and the excitement is mounting. Many of the hunters are members of this site so I'm thinking we should get to post pictures of most of the buks that get killed.

To start things off Phil and his buddys Mike and Jim will be heading down tomorrow to hunt through the 18th. Myself, Josh, Gail, and Mike will head down next week on the 16th to hunt through the 22nd. Those of us that don't kill will head back after Christmas and/or in January to fill our tags.

Good luck to eveyone and stay tuned!!!

Got a text from Steven last night of a pickup head with nontyp points they found yesterday on the ranch. 121 and some change. Wow, nice! You guys should have a great hunt.

Amanda

Best of luck to you on the hunt, sure wish I had an opportunity like that!

And may you have even more luck getting across the border. My Dad hunts Mexico for Coues every year and there's always a new story of him nearly going to jail trying to get his rifle and ammunition across the line...

Amanda that was a nice pick up but it was off of another ranch that Steven has for mule deer.

Tim I'm all loaded and ready to go, I'll see you down there buddy! I talked to Manuel today and it looks like we'll have some prerut activity going on so my hopes are high!

And may you have even more luck getting across the border. My Dad hunts Mexico for Coues every year and there's always a new story of him nearly going to jail trying to get his rifle and ammunition across the line...

This will be my fourth year going to hunt Mexico and I have never had an experience like that. In fact my experiences have always been the exact opposite. I'm not sure what the difference is, but as long as our paperwork is in order and we mind our manners we are treated well.

Phil, I hope you slam a monster!

This will be my fourth year going to hunt Mexico and I have never had an experience like that. In fact my experiences have always been the exact opposite. I'm not sure what the difference is, but as long as our paperwork is in order and we mind our manners we are treated well.

Phil, I hope you slam a monster!

+1

I am always amazed how easy the gun crossings go. Sometimes you have to wait awhile at the army depot, but once the right person comes to check the paperwork it goes super fast.

Amanda

Phil and Tim,

Good luck you guys. Hope the big ones come out to play for you. Was down south of the border last weekend to do some scouting. The feed doesn't look near as nice as last year but they got early enough rains for good horn growth as you guys have already seen. Slam some BIGGUNS!!!!!

I can't believe how fast it snuck up on us! I'm pumped for sure. I can't wait to hear what type of stuff Jim and Phil see the few days before we get there on Thursday.

SWEET MOTHER LETS DO THIS!!!!

Man, Tim, I wish I could have taken you up on that offer!!!! Next year for sure. I am saving my money already!

Good luck to everyone going.

I was down in Mexico for a few days and did take a few rifles down, I bet it took no longer that 20 minutes total to check at the entrance to Mexico and the military. Good luck to all headed down to the Hunting Club. Glass hard and shoot straight. I hope to see some good pictures and hear some good stories.

Last year at the Federally inspection my Barnes TSX received quite a bit of scrutiny. The refered to them as expansivo's, which I took as "bad". I would have thought that something with a white or red plastic tip would of looked more menacing. Next time I will have to give some thought to a non-threatening looking bullet. Shayne