Sign in to follow this  
ajohunter

2010 Elk & Pronghorn Regs

What's the deal with combinding the general rifle bull tags in 5BS and 5BN :angry: . They put 831 tags for 1 hunt. The hunt is hard enough with 200-300 people. How does game and fish know that 831 people aren't going to hunt mostly in one unit and just slauter the herd. I think I would rather get a bonus point then deal with that mess. :angry:

I've been trying off and on to download the regs, but my dial-up modem is just too slow. Earlier, Doug had said some antlerless elk tags were added to the unit one hunts at the last commission meeting. Would someone check and see what the dates of that hunt will be? Thanks. I'm hoping they're in October while we're still in Greer.

Bill Quimby

What's the deal with combinding the general rifle bull tags in 5BS and 5BN :angry: . They put 831 tags for 1 hunt. The hunt is hard enough with 200-300 people. How does game and fish know that 831 people aren't going to hunt mostly in one unit and just slauter the herd. I think I would rather get a bonus point then deal with that mess. :angry:

That is what Terry Herndon was saying when he spoke in front of the commission. He thought most would be hunting in 5BS. G&F thought the better bulls were in 5BN, and now more could hunt in the northern part. Sounds like a loss of hunter and herd management to me. Ithought if one wanted to hunt 5BN, they should apply there.

Last year there were 775 bull tags, now 831, not counting the Hopi tags. According to G&F, the bull:cow ratio is above mangement guidelines in 5B, so the permit numbers were increased.

IIRC, they split 5B into N&S to manage the cow elk better. The cow elk hunts are still split into N&S.

I've been trying off and on to download the regs, but my dial-up modem is just too slow. Earlier, Doug had said some antlerless elk tags were added to the unit one hunts at the last commission meeting. Would someone check and see what the dates of that hunt will be? Thanks. I'm hoping they're in October while we're still in Greer.

Bill Quimby

3035 Dec 10 - Dec 16, 2010 Escudilla Hunt Area in Unit 1 Antlerless elk 75 permits

3036 Dec 3 - Dec 9, 2010 1 East Antlerless elk 75

3037 Dec 10 - Dec 16, 2010 1, 2B, and 2C Antlerless elk 300

3010 Nov 26 - Dec 2, 2010 1, 2B, and 2C Bull elk (rifle) 425

3103 Sep 24 - Sep 30, 2010 1, 2B, and 2C Bull elk (muzzleloader) 40

is it me or is the G&F going out of their way to target the youth.....

There was no real change in the number of junior cow elk permits, except to add 15 to unit 1 to help stabilize the population and I think 3 went to the Hopis in 4A

Bill Quimby

3035 Dec 10 - Dec 16, 2010 Escudilla Hunt Area in Unit 1 Antlerless elk 75 permits

3036 Dec 3 - Dec 9, 2010 1 East Antlerless elk 75

3037 Dec 10 - Dec 16, 2010 1, 2B, and 2C Antlerless elk 300

3010 Nov 26 - Dec 2, 2010 1, 2B, and 2C Bull elk (rifle) 425

3103 Sep 24 - Sep 30, 2010 1, 2B, and 2C Bull elk (muzzleloader) 40

Thanks, Doug. Looks like I tune up my homemade .54 caliber flintlock if I want to hunt an elk near the cabin. Wish they'd keep us old guys in mind when they set these seasons. I don't need to be fighting snow at that elevation at age 74.

Bill Quimby

I'll have 14bp going into the antelope draw this year, I hope 2010 is the year, Im tired of waiting for that opportunity. I'll pass up an archery bull elk tag for my antelope tag.

I have 15 BP for Antelope this year. Been putting in on and off since 1985. Hoping for my first tag this year! If I get drawn, I don't know what I'll do?? I think I'm too young to have a heart attack.

Five points going in for elk. Good luck everyone.

;)

Bill,

There is a rifle cow hunt in Unit 27 Oct 15-21.

Doug

Thanks, Doug. I intend to apply for it as my first choice, the muzzleloader hunt as second choice.

Bill Quimby

sam good luck with that rifle goat tag my brother is riding on max points and still waiting so we will see how it goes, he hates me i have put in for antelope 7 times and drew 7 tags(archery of course and killed all 7) i wont be putting in for a goat tag this year that way someone else has a chance to hunt :lol:

sam good luck with that rifle goat tag my brother is riding on max points and still waiting so we will see how it goes, he hates me i have put in for antelope 7 times and drew 7 tags(archery of course and killed all 7) i wont be putting in for a goat tag this year that way someone else has a chance to hunt :lol:

Thanks. Boy, that is pretty lucky draw odds. That's good that you are sitting out this year.

A friend of mine got his first tag this year - 31 years later!

sam i am sittin out this year and finally putting in for sheep instead of bonus points like i have been doing. arizona to me is not the best place in the world for antelope anymore the only good things is you can put in for the best of the best and hunt new mexico or Wyoming in the years you wait for your az tag.