Sign in to follow this  
roninflag

dedicated whitetail rifle

while i know that hunters make everything from a 22-250 to 300 rum work; it seems to me a 257 weatherby accumark with a 6.5Xto20 leup would be optimal for coues. see the cover of the regs with the hunter with the big buck and an accumark. roninflag

I don't think you'd go wrong at all with that rig.... My "Coues' specific" setup is a remington Sendero in 7mm RUM with a target turreted Meopta 4-16X44 atop.

Guest borderboy

One of my buddies has a "deer system" similar to that. He's had it for many years and knows it well. Just get to know yours and become proficient with it. My buddy says, "become one with your system. Be at peace with it." I've been shooting a Remington 700 with open sights for 25 yrs in .243. I love that thing. I'm buying a new system this year though. Cool bro.

Ron,

Welcome. :)

One would have to look at ballistic minutia to come up with a better coues cartridge than the 257 WBY.

Very flat and very tolerable recoil. Only negative would be having to buy Weatherby factory ammo $$$ if not a handloader.

Just as flat and near equal wind drift with bullet of near equal SD, within a couple of inches for all) considering the 257 WBY, 264 WM, 7RUM, 300 RUM. Just that the WBY has em beat in recoil.

Sure, one can go lighter in bullets to be flatter, or heavier to get less drift, but I tried to compare apples to apples with equal SD. ( Ballistic Tips in 115gr .257 vs 120gr .264 vs 140gr 7mm vs 165gr .308)

But then I went with the 6.5 WSM for coues and antelope ;)

Doug~RR

Anybody who know me knows what my "dedicated" medium size big game rifle is. It all about the accuracy.

Take a look at the 6.5 cals they have a high bc and shoot very flat.My fave is a 6.5-06 imp rifle.There are alot of great bullets for the 6.5 also.

.270 wsm with 130 Gr. bullet, hits harder, bucks the wind better and is a flat shooter to boot (if that even matters anymore with all the target turrets, and graduated cross hair set ups) That being said the .257 weatherby mag is a great Coues rig.

Whitey

red rabitt you are in flag?? you shoot a 6.5 wsm?? when i started the post i was thinking of a ready made factory gun. i own and shoot a couple of 6.5-284s but i was thinking that a 6.5 rsum would be interesting especially on a rem 700 titanium action and a krieger barrel. you have virtually what i was thinking of.

Ron,

Actually in Kachina Village.

I took a Model 70 SG in 300WSM and had it rebarreled in 6.5 WSM. PacNor 1-9" polygonal. Kirby Allen in MT did the work. A 6.5 RSAUM like you are thinking or 6.5 RCM would be nice also. I would think the 6.5 RCM would be close to the 6.5-284 you already have.

Seth out in Parks made a couple of accurrate 6 RSAUMs. Eric at Ruffs has one.

Doug~RR