Tines

My December Buck

What a hunt.... I mean WHAT A HUNT... what a deer hunt with a toad of a buck to take home with you for the memory of a lifetime! Huge congrats on your success. You guys busted some arse to get him and then to just get you and him out. Hard work pays off indeed.

I'll admit that hunting buddies like Andy don't come along to often and to know you can put your life in their hands if the time ever arises is something special. I have that much trust in my hunting buddy when we go out hunting. I just hope he's never put in the position to have to step up to do so but if we end up there some day... I'm confident he's going die trying to get me out in one piece. I'd do the same for him in a heartbeat. Having each others back tends to stretch well outside of just hunting trips though. Cheers to Andy for being there to lend the hand where needed at just the right time.

Congrats again guys!

What a hunt!

cmc

About time you made it out of the woods! ;) My nerves couldn't take it any longer! :unsure: :P

Jakes phone wasn't working right when he killed the buck, but he was able to get a picture text out to me. And then just before the pack out he was able to call me and tell me what was up and asked if I would send the picture to his family members. I said I'd send it to more than that! Thast when many of your received the first picture, when Jake and Andy were still on the mountain with the deer. They didn't have cell signal after they left that spot.

I called Ryan and let him know they would be late. When it got late Ryan went to an area and glassed toward where they were from many miles away. After a while he called me back and told me he had seen a couple of flashes of light way back in the canyons as if headlights were shining accross far ridges like when someone turns a corner on a mountain road switchback. But that had been some time ago and they should have made it to a part in the road where he could have seen actual headlights long ago.

So we knew they had made it to the quads and had driven one of them. But we werent sure why they hadnt showed up yet. When Ryan saw the lights, was the time when Andy had gotten one of the quads and took it back to jake and the deer.

We wernt sure if they had gotten flat tires, gotten hurt or what. We knew they could take care of them selves as they are both excelent woodsmen and medically trained but you just dont go to bed when someone is not "out" yet? So after some preyers and talking about it Ryan made plans to take his Rino and some gear and head up to look for them at 11pm. Ryan checked in with another local friend and let him know where he was going and then checked in with me regularly to keep me informed of his progress. Ryans last phone call to me was that he had found Jakes quad parked nicely on the side of the trail and it looked like Andy's quad had driven further up. Ryan said he was continuing up and would be out of good cell signal from then on.

At 12:30 am I received a text from Ryan that said. "Found them!!!" I texted him back asking what had happend? But the signal was bad and Ryan couldn' get his text out. So when it finally came through at 3:00 am it said . "Not sure yet. They r walking toward me. Let you know."

That was tourture! but I knew it was all ok and went to sleep.

At 4:am A text from Jake finally came through that he had tried to send a couple hours before. It said ....

" I finally did it guys! Hes amazing to hold in your hands..... I'll share details later but we glassed him up at 10am, shot him at 2pm, and we're finally pulling into camp (200am)!! I thank the Lord for keeping us safe and a good friend Andy for possibly saving my life on the absolute WORST (but worth it) pack-out imaginable! He went WELL beyond extra effort to help me get out of that hole okay....."

I wanted to call him right then but knew he was sleaping and waited tell he was ready to call me.

Wish I could have been there in person bud!

Congrats again on an AWESOME BUCK and way to get it done guys!

Lance

PS. I quit using those dang water bladders years ago! Maybe they have some better ones by now?

:D This is definately my favorite thread of 2009, hands down. This hunt needs to be shown to Western hunter Mag, if it's not allready or something of that nature anywho. Hint hint guys ;) I can't stop stareing at this buck , and reading the story from those involved is really cool too. I can't say enough congrats -----Jake!!

Well said CMC

Congratulations Jake! What an awesome buck and awesome story. I read the other thread yesterday about everyone receiving a picture message of this huge toad someone had taken, and then a couple hours ago I got it from someone and wondered if you were who everyone on here was talking about. Logged on and here's your story! What an awesome job, real happy for you, and thanks for sharing the great story! I agree with AZantlerhead.... I'll send you a PM, I'm fairly new on here and haven't seen or heard from you in years till now....

"Buck of a life-time"? Probably. "Memory of a life-time"? Deffinately.... I have heard those words before.. "I can't take another step".. both in sports, and in hunting.. The human body is an amazing mechine. It can be pushed so much further than you think it can. I am certain that the amount of energy you exerted into this hunt will do nothing but add to the memery, and appriciation of the mount on your wall for the rest of your life!

I don't know you, but you have earned my respect. Congrats on a buck earned the hard way.

Whitey