Sign in to follow this  
coues4u

Odd color up or down????

When you nock your arrow is the odd color vane supposed to face up or down???? For years I've been shooting with it down, but I just saw a guy on a video shooting with it up. So I went outside and shot a few arrows with it up and saw little to no difference, so I guess it doesn't really matter right?

It depends on the type of rest you have. The old plastic side-prong rests you needed the odd fletch outward. The old metal 2 prong rests needed the odd fletch down, to allow the fletch to slide between the prongs and miss the rest. For slower drop away rests and fast bows people shoot the odd fletch up, to allow maximim clearance between the fleth and the rest. As long as the drop away falls fast enough, the fletch can point up or down without a problem, but pointing up allows more clearance.

I have a whisker biscuit, so with a WB it must not matter whether it's up or down.

not true with a whisker bisquit you are supposed to shoot odd colored up or where the black whiskers are something bout the stiffness of the bristles or something!

You need to shoot a WB with the cock vane up, or else the black whiskers are going to tear up your fletching, and most likely affect your arrow flight. The brown whiskers are the ones that the vanes pass through, the black ones are the ones that support the arrow shaft.

I grew up with the odd color out and I still do it that way. It works with any rest. Actually I fletch my arrows with all the same color and mark the out feather/vane with a marking pen.