Sign in to follow this  
lionhunter

One more to complete a great year!!

I went down this weekend on my 4th Coues deer hunt of the year. We have been very forunate to have been blessed with a very good year. I had high hopes of assisting a very good friend's father in taking a good buck. DK, (his Dad) is 67 years young and wanted to better his personal best Wt. buck of 96 inches.

Saturday started kind of slow. We glassed all moring with seeing only 3 bucks; not the 97+ he was looking for. The day was kept interesting by glassing a Coatimundi, many pigs, mule deer, and coutless Does. (I saw NO sign of any rut activity at all) I was disapointed to say the least. In fact we had seen many more bucks on the Oct, and Nov hunts.

Saturday afternoon was much the same. I was intertained by a 40 min stalk I put on a mule deer buck with my bow.. I blew it, but that is a different story for a different time. back to the WT hunt.

Sunday started out better.. As the sun rose we had many deer in different spots across the canyon. After 20-30 minutes we had a very wide buck located. We watched this buck chase 20 or so does all over the mountain across the canyon. He was 1000 yards out, and all his effort was to no avail. (I was getting tired just watching him run those does) After several failed attempts at romance he left the does and started to feed around slowly. We watched him for over and hour. We field judged him around 97 inches; an inch better than DK was hoping to better. He decided he wanted him. We got him into position on a rock outcropping as close as we could to the buck. (700 yards) After what seemed an eternity DK was ready to shoot. Just about the time he was going to break his shot....... the buck bedded down behind a tree. Emotional roller coster. We took turns watching the tree for around an hour when RK said, "he's up". DK asked for the yardage one more time.. 702 yards. "Bang", missed over his back. The buck ran down hill towards us 60 yards or so. Dk did a great job getting back on the buck, (I guess a life time of hunting pays off) and asked for yardage one more time. "643" I tell him, "use your 650 dot. "Bam" and then "Thump" Big buck down. Dk just harvested his life time personal best Coues buck.

The buck gross scored 98 inches. He has a 16 inch inside spread, and 16 inch main beans. Dk was very excited to say the least..

Side note: It was a great couple of days helping out a family that has helped me out for the last 20 years! (Wow, that sounded deep)

The rifle, for those of you that are Rifle guys, is a Weatherby 30-378 topped with a Leupold 6.5-20 with custom dots out to 800 yards.

The end to a great year!! Now it is time to start hunting with a bow (4 more days), and start the "next great year"

Whitey

post-2950-1261971771_thumb.jpg

post-2950-1261971787_thumb.jpg

Very nice, yess'r you have had a very blessed year...being part of friend's and family success is hard to beat...good luck in the next few day's

WOW another great buck. I don't think you want 09 to end. You have had alot of luck and have brought alot of luck to others this year. You guys aren't just killing deer your killing awesome bucks. Congrats on a great year. Way to get it done again. Congrats to all involved on this great buck aswell.

Congrats to DK. That is a great deer at any age!