Sign in to follow this  
gotcoues

09' Dec bucks

Got in late last night and leaving in about an hour to go back out to help my buddy Harvey (vizla-dog). We've seen and passed over 40 wt bucks in 6 days of hunting, very little in the way of rutting activity. Harvey glassed this buck at over a mile. We only got one good side view after a half hour of watching him and decided to get a better look. We stalked in to 420 yards and watched him for about 10 minutes before deciding to take him. I made a great shot at 410 yards, about 2 inches high from my mark. He only went about 20 yards and piled up. I'm tickled to death with this buck even though he's a little shy of my goal. We've put mass miles on our boots and have glassed and glassed our tails off. I missed a 90ish buck with my bow in the early season after passing on 8 different bucks under 20 yards and I missed him on the last day after sitting in my stand for over 70 hours. dang THAT HURT BAD, I feel better now though.

We need one more to hit the dirt!

One more down

post-754-1262227844_thumb.jpg

post-754-1262016001_thumb.jpg

post-754-1262015845_thumb.jpg

post-754-1262227922_thumb.jpg

Harvey's son Aaron spotted some deer out in front of us soon after setting up Tuesday morning. As luck would have it the deer moved directly towards us, getting closer and closer. Harvey ranged the buck for the last time at 260 yards. He was shooting at a very steep angle and his rifle is sighted in at 300yards so he held low and squeezed the trigger. His buck dropped in his tracks almost without so much as a wiggle. This was such a fun hunt. We worked hard, walked hard and glassed hard! I can't wait to do it all over again.

post-754-1262227884_thumb.jpg

post-754-1262134479_thumb.jpg