Sign in to follow this  
Coues&Bass

DEC HUNT IS OVER!!

My friend Jimmy and I (Steve) took off in an area we had been chasing a big buck. Due to the wind though the deer had busted us before we found him. We kept walking up a ridge line and found another buck chasing a doe across the canyon at about 200pm. We decided to pass him up and dropped to the bottom to get back to the truck that was 4 miles away. We started chasing deer out of the bottom so I decided to rim out of the bottom of the canyon to see if I could get a look at the deer. I looked across a small deep draw and seen deer standing looking at me from 25 yards to 75 yards away. I pulled up on what I thought was a buck but the sun was right in my scope. I watched the deer and the deer watched me. I seemed like 5 minutes we stood there looking at each other. I could not belive that the deer did not run away as soon as I walked up on them. The sun set I pulled my 7mm up to see a three point in my scope. I pulled the trigger and the deer dropped right where he stood. I yelled at Jimmy down in the canyon and told him I had another buck 50 yards away staring at me. He sprinted up the mountain! He spotted the buck dropped his pack went into the prone position and pulled the trigger of his 30-06 and dropped his deer.

The fun then began. We both had packs to large to throw the deer up on our backs so we started to indidually drag our deer twords the bottom. I finally reached my Dad Jim and Tammy and they met us in the bottom so they could carry our packs. We got back to the truck at 930pm.

I guessed this buck at about 105" gross and have not put a tape on him yet. Please feel free to make a guess.

post-3275-1262103175.jpgpost-3275-1262103186.jpgpost-3275-1262103214.jpgpost-3275-1262103221.jpg

That looks more around 110 to 115 holy crap that is a brute. CONGRATS ;)

Great buck. So much for that long range shooting huh. I did the same thing in the Kaibab a few years ago. Practiced shooting long range and then shot my buck at 35 yards.

Outstanding. Congrats are in order.

That heavy buck is a toad. Over 110??

That's a REALLY nice buck! I look forward to the day I can post a harvest of that calibur.

I thought he was maybe in the 90's. I just could not get a scope on him or glasses due to the position of the sun. My bino's normally are very good at looking in the same direction but the sun and deer were at the same height and direction. (Minox 15X56 bino's) Scope Luepold 6X. So pretty much is was shoot or dont shoot, I decided to SHOOT!post-3275-1262116329.jpg Pictured with Jimmy

Hey go outside and get him out of the freezer and do a quick measure on him and let us know. That is a GREAT buck and I am curious on what he scores. CONGRATS again. ;)