couesarcher

What do you wear on your feet for a stalk?

P.s. Hammy, love the sneaky feet your wife made. Very ingenious.

Thanks! I don't have the big bucks to support my hobby (addiction), so I have to find ways to improvise.

I'm of the opinion that attention to the wind and being patient is far more important than being totally quiet. Keep in mind that the animals we hunt are used to other animals around them knocking rocks, cracking a dead stick on the ground, and even running through the woods. The wind is always your first priority. Whether javelina, deer, or elk, they all smell better than we see and hear combined. Once the wind is right, it's about moving with a purpose. You should always be careful where you step, and avoid rocks, etc. as best you can. I have been on rut elk hunts in the woods where we were either running half the time and still right in the middle of them, or walking very close to them and them even seeing us, but not spooked because they didn't wind us.

• Like 2

Hammy i want your shoes so bad :( Merrel quit making those and Ive worn out my 2 pairs I bought when they discountinued them.

I go socks or safari sneakers. Im gonna make some that are better though.

Im gonna atach some fake fur to the bottom of some mocossans and see how they work.

I normally just take my boots off. But I have been using these new shoes made by vibram call "five fingers"

They are awesome. Supper comfortable and quiet. Some times I leave them on all day.

here is the link: Vibram Five Fingers

post-3534-1270157749.jpg

I usually move to w/in about 200 yards & then kick off the boots & throw on a pair of extra wool socks.

I prefer the socks to the other products they sell, because they are much lighter in my pack, quieter than anything else I've seen & they force you to pay close attention to where you are stepping so as to avoid sharp rocks & stickers, thus making you move slower.

I have used the Bears Feet but in our rocky country here in AZ, I wore through the bottoms in two days. Right now I am using the Cat's Paw from Wayne Carlton. IMO they are by far the best system out there. They are heavy felt held on to your boots with heavy draw strings. They last forever and are super quite. The downsides are that snow or ice builds up on the bottoms real bad, fortunately we don't need them much in those kind of conditions. Also, it can be difficult to maintain control on steep sidehill stalks.

I bought mine directly from Carltons because i could not find them in any stores.

DIY...those are the coolest looking things i have seen in a long time! where did you get yours?

Believe it or not! When i downed my first carp i used a pair of my mickey mouse slippers that i had inside my truck... I intentionally was going to use three pairs of socks to stock up to the buck, i didnt have any so i had no choice but to use those big ole padded slippers. Funny thing is all of you would never use such thing to hunt in but that day i did....lol. I'am a decendant of the "Apache" having indian blood, i was able to stalk/Stick this huge buck without him knowing I was even there......

I use carpet laced to my boots similar to Hammy's fleece lasts forever and scrapes are free at construction sites. Got the idea watching a show about illegals using them to hide their foot prints when they walked across the road

WOW what a great idea. Nice anti tracking method too. Do you cut them to the form of your shoe? How do you secure them? Any pics? Thanks

Hammy i want your shoes so bad :( Merrel quit making those and Ive worn out my 2 pairs I bought when they discountinued them.

Im gonna atach some fake fur to the bottom of some mocossans and see how they work.

Bought a brand new pair of them at Sports Authority last week. They must have had some leftovers.

I’ve have had great luck with King Sneeky Pete Feet. When using these style of boot covers bring along a metal comb, after a while the bottoms get matted up causing them to be not as sneaky. A couple quick swipes with the comb and they are just like new again. Also, just remember these are an aide and are not completely quite, so continue to move slow, deliberate and use heel/toe.

I normally just take my boots off. But I have been using these new shoes made by vibram call "five fingers"

They are awesome. Supper comfortable and quiet. Some times I leave them on all day.

here is the link: Vibram Five Fingers

My neighbor is a big runner, runs a couple of marathons every year, and likes to wear something like this for running. Says its easier on her knees and feet. I've been going to get some to try.

Right now I like to wear wrestling shoes. I get the split soled shoes and they worke really well. Light, thin soled but still offer protection and they are deadly quiet.

Bought a brand new pair of them at Sports Authority last week. They must have had some leftovers.

Are they the Pulse II mid's? Ive tried Merrel's Radius, Reflex, Outlander, Radland, Kinetic, every kinda Danner I could find and a Lowa Zepher. Best fit I have now is the Zephyrs then the Merrel Radland. The Pulse II's didnt last much more that 1 year, but they sure were a good fit for me.'

Ryan

DIY now I know why there are so many "monster" hunters up on the rim. All these "bigfoot" tracks around the tanks are just you guys putting on stalks.

I bought a pair of the fleece slip on stalking boot covers from sportsmans warehouse a couple years back. I didn't like them. They got covered in pine needles and cactus every time I used them. It was like a magnetic current everything sharp was drawn to them and held tight. The one time I tried to go along side a slight slope I had no traction and ended up rolling my ankle when they slipped. I'll stick to bare boot from now on I think.