bowhuntaz1

Feral hogs in Arizona

A friend of mine used to hunt feral pigs alot in CA. The ranchers and farmers really wanted hunters to help control the population. The land destruction was really bad. But, he said they didn't taste very good and he doesn't hunt them anymore.......

Are these pigs any good to eat??? I know I have to be careful on how I cook javelina.......

The big old nasty ones are not good. The dry sows around 80-150lbs are better than deer. Way better.

I've only had feral hog once and it was excellent. The meat came from a ranch in northern california. Was cooked in a crock pot with potatoes, carrots, and gravey. It had been seasoned and rolled in flour and seared in a skillet on all sides before it hit the crock pot. Very lean meat and pinkish in color-tasty.

we went to texas couple years ago and i killed a lil sow round 38 lbs and it is by far the best tasting pork youl ever have, but I hope they dont over run our state that would be disasterous!

Bad News Piggies.

Friend chased up a tree in heber by a herd with large Boar last year, the one day he had no sidearm.

Picked up a head two years ago near Show Low that is over 16" long and 10" wide I think.Maybe left by a rancher/hunter who shot it in the head, probly not edible I guess?.But it had teeth very close together in the front wich is supposed to mean it was a wild hog. I'll get some pics soon, I gave it to my uncle for a birthday present.

if thE HOGS dew so much damage the AZGFD needs to get the word out where they are so they can be harvested. I would like to get one of those under the skinning knife. also with the predators and number of hunters i would think they would be eradicated in short order

There are plenty of predators and hog hunters in California and Texas and they have little to no impact on the pig populations there.

While i'm remembering the south...

A side note: is that 90% of Florida has small whitetails EXTREMELY alike to Coues Deer, no bigger than german shepards/great danes. I don't know why they aren't listed as a seperate species as Coues are? I chased them around allot as a kid through swamp/wetlands and cow pastures/Pine and palmetto forests. Probly where the coues lover in me started. But without recognition as a seperate specie in florida only whitetails in very very north florida ever make P&Y or B&C and even those are very rare under the "eastern" whiteatil minimum entrie scores :huh:. They are Just as sneeky and majestic as coues too in comparison, looking back now, same size/ habits as well, also FL bucks share antler make up and size of a coues, if not smaller like that of most sitka blacktails. These deer are often caught in the Hog traps(legal i think) but are avidly hunted from elevated box blinds and stands with Gun/Bow and pursued by many. I only found one shed the time i spent there <_< and never went hunting only helped some hog trapping and chased some coons with my walker, to busy with girls and raising cane back then to get out like i do now, but did get out on some nice spreads once in a while and watch/chase the game, besides that theres just deer in your yard there most the time too, there like rabbits down south.... :rolleyes: , <_<

Florida is probly 90% private land and usually the ONLY way to go hunting is to know someone with a huge spread or join a lease/club. I LOVE AZ!!

Feral hogs no good

Are you thinking about the Key Deer?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_Deer

I don't feel for those States that complain that the hogs are tearing up their land and then turn around an sell you a tag to hunt them. (i.e. Kalifornia)

I don't feel for those States that complain that the hogs are tearing up their land and then turn around an sell you a tag to hunt them. (i.e. Kalifornia)

My thoughts exactly. The ranches want them gone yet they want $300 for you to come "help" them. Bah!

Don't be fooled. The private ranches don't want them gone. Hog hunting is more popular than deer hunting in some states.

Is also seems that most of the complaints about wild hogs by hunters are just fluff. It seems that if people were really upset about wild hogs, whenever they came across them they would try and reduce them as quickly and effectively as possible. This would include notifying other people about their whereabouts and trying to organize an effort to remove them. However, even on this website no one will give the locations of feral hogs that they have come across because they want to hunt them exclusively. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I think its a double standard to complain about hogs and then not take a more purposed stance on reducing the numbers. If people were really committed to removing them, they would have posts inviting others to come help hunt them once they were located. Honestly I would keep a herd a secret if I found one because I'd want to hunt them myself with my friends. So it would be hypocritical of me to complain about them but try to keep their location a secret so that I could hunt them exclusively. Or charge 300 bucks to shoot one on my ranch.