BowNut

5th Annual Cactus Classic

Usery Mountain Archers has the pre-registration ready for the 1st Leg Of the Triple Crown. You can go online or by mail.

I will try to attach a flyer if I can get it to work.

There a few changes I would like to let everyone know about. The ABA rule book is no longer being used for the Triple Crown. They will be going by IBO RULES and use the IBO RULE BOOK. The big change in these rules is the 5gr of arrow weight per pound. IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF EACH ARCHER TO KNOW THE RULES. You can find them on the IBO website.

Some classes have been changed or cut. There is no longer any money classes and there is a list of all the classes on the flyer and at the online registration site.

The flyer has most of the info needed but if you have any questions you can post them here or PM me. Or visit the ABA website at arizonabowhunters.org

Thanks for your support again this year

Dallas

2010_Cactus_Classic_Flyer_1_.doc

To shoot the AM flight on Saturday you need to pre-register online, by mail or on Friday the 26th at the range from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm

If you come to register in the AM on Saturday you will need shoot in the afternoon flight.

One more change please pass this on to anyone you know that may want to shoot this year. It is very hard to get started on time in the AM so we hope this will help.

Thanks Again

This year we will score 12's. Only because the all the clubs running the shoots have 12 on there score cards. But yes we will be going to 11's next year.

BoooYahhhh!!! Let the fun begin! :lol:

Thanks for the update Bow Nut.

So they are following the rulebook 100% or just a few items? I have a few questions...is it an IBO sanctioned event? Will it be a qualifier for the nationals? Are we going to have to be an IBO member to participate?

It just seems odd to say the IBO rulebook will be followed and then make acceptions or changes to allow for more problems. They need to either follow it to the letter of the rule book or modify the ABA book to represent what changes are taking place, based on the IBO rulebook. I can understand the scorecards being labeled with a 12 already and some considerations for that. But if the IBO rulebook utilizes a "11" ring in place of the "12" ring then by all means the ABA should get the proper scorecards printed up and do things as noted in the IBO rulebook. It will make for less complications during tournaments and allow the interpritation of the rules to be as written. Really it appears to be a half hearted attempt to mitigate some issues. Basically if we change to the IBO rules then do it 100%! Don't leave it to a mixture of rules old and new.

Also it would be nice to have additional classes other than what is allowed, possibly the team competition as well as a semi pro class and advanced hunter class. It would be more fun to have the more competetive shooters in an upper class than the beginners that may shoot the same equipment. As the money shooters vs. trophy shooters were in the past. It would be discouraging to a beginner to know that he/she will have to compete against a significantly more advanced shooter in the same group. Therefore affecting the amount of shooters that would normally register. Hopefully it will be a change for the positive as we all want to continue moving forward and see the sport of 3-D archery continue to grow.

I was told by the tournament director (stoney amerines) that this is not a qualifier for the nationals and not an ibo sanction event. You will not have to be an ibo member to attend or shoot the shoots. I was also told that the IBO rules are being used to put everybody on the same playin field as far as 5 grains per bow weight which in return should keep the speeds all about the same. The ibo rules should make more guys want to shoot because speed should not be a factor as in the past so judging yardage becomes the key..

So they are following the rulebook 100% or just a few items? I have a few questions...is it an IBO sanctioned event? Will it be a qualifier for the nationals? Are we going to have to be an IBO member to participate?

It just seems odd to say the IBO rulebook will be followed and then make acceptions or changes to allow for more problems. They need to either follow it to the letter of the rule book or modify the ABA book to represent what changes are taking place, based on the IBO rulebook. I can understand the scorecards being labeled with a 12 already and some considerations for that. But if the IBO rulebook utilizes a "11" ring in place of the "12" ring then by all means the ABA should get the proper scorecards printed up and do things as noted in the IBO rulebook. It will make for less complications during tournaments and allow the interpritation of the rules to be as written. Really it appears to be a half hearted attempt to mitigate some issues. Basically if we change to the IBO rules then do it 100%! Don't leave it to a mixture of rules old and new.

Also it would be nice to have additional classes other than what is allowed, possibly the team competition as well as a semi pro class and advanced hunter class. It would be more fun to have the more competetive shooters in an upper class than the beginners that may shoot the same equipment. As the money shooters vs. trophy shooters were in the past. It would be discouraging to a beginner to know that he/she will have to compete against a significantly more advanced shooter in the same group. Therefore affecting the amount of shooters that would normally register. Hopefully it will be a change for the positive as we all want to continue moving forward and see the sport of 3-D archery continue to grow.

We had a meeting with Stoney and we brought up the same things you just did.

We knew there would be these questions thats why we had the meeting. I personally brought up the fact that if we are going to use the IBO rules we needed to use all of them. We had talked to them about just changing the ABA book to reflect the changes would be best. But with the only real changes being the scoring, classes and 5gr they felt it would not be a big deal.

On scoring the 11 ring the ABA does not buy the cards each club does. Its a money thing we have boxes of cards that we spent a lot of money on and we need to use them. We talked to Stoney about just having a way to change the cards and we decided to just leave them and change over next year when we only have half the cards to throw away. Every shooters meeting at every shoot this will be talked about so everyone knows it will change next year.

Now for the classes it's just numbers. There are way to many classes in the IBO rule book for us to have enough shooter to have all of them. We tried the Advanced Hunter Class a couple years ago and I shot in it there were about 5 shooters at the 1st leg and 3 by the 3rd leg. We left it up to the ABA to come up with the classes. Not 100% sure but I think they just decided the classes by the number of shooters that shot each class if the numbers dropped to low over the 3 or 4 legs over the last couple years they dropped it. If there is not enough shooters to have a class by the last leg there is no reason to have it. I think thats why the did away with Pro or Money class not enough shooters at the end to make it worth having the class.

Other then the things you brought up (and we brought up to them) if you look at the ABA and IBO rule books the rest of the rules are the same.

The 5gr per pound thing has to do with insurance. ABA has IBO insurance 5gr per pound is a safety thing. I don't think it makes it even at all. Some bow shoot a 5gr arrow at 290fps and others shoot a 5gr arrow at 360 not sure how even that is.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.I think most of the wrinkles will be worked out by next year.

Also contact Stoney or any other ABA board member with any questions.

They don't know what you think if you do not tell them.

Thanks and we will see you there

Dallas

as dallas has stated we did have the meeting with the ibo and did cover all these thing and your response dallas is well worded, but if there is any questions please feel free to ask us , i know up here at our globe range the money issue was a concern with the scorecard but that will be next year and as far as the rest of the issues they will all be covered in the shooters meetings, so come out and enjoy the shoots guys and give us your feedback so we can try to improve these shoots for years to come!

Thanks Guys for all the replies!

I am excited to get started, hope I didn't sound too negative I was just concerned. Glad to hear others shared the same thoughts. I trust the board will make things as best they can. As far as safety I am glad to hear it is the first concern we all want to go home in the same condition we arrived. The speed thing doesn't bother me.....accuracy wins tournaments. Speed just gets the arrow to the target faster. Good luck to all this year!

Thanks for all the info. After looking through the rules, one caught my eye, maybe one of you guys can help me out on this one. Will they be also using this rule along with the 5 grain rule?

B. Maximum Draw Weight

1. The maximum draw weight for each class shall be as follows:

a. Cub: 40 pounds

b. All Female and Youth Classes: 60 pounds

c. LB: 90 pounds

d. All other classes: 80 pounds (excluding crossbows)

Thanks for the info,

It's an excellent move on the ABA's part. Always thought there were to many individual classes to begin with. I don't think it will deter others from participating because the groups are combine. In my opinion, If you happen to win your class or place high. At least, you know it was against the best in your class. That's why you choose the competitive class to begin with. keep up the good work and always keep the youth involved. Thanks ABA

Thanks for all the info. After looking through the rules, one caught my eye, maybe one of you guys can help me out on this one. Will they be also using this rule along with the 5 grain rule?

B. Maximum Draw Weight

1. The maximum draw weight for each class shall be as follows:

a. Cub: 40 pounds

b. All Female and Youth Classes: 60 pounds

c. LB: 90 pounds

d. All other classes: 80 pounds (excluding crossbows)

I would say Yes it will be 60# max. But I sent an email to Stoney to be sure. I will let you know for sure. Yes they will still use the 5gr rule UNLESS

"2. In the case where an archer’s equipment, when shot at five (5) grains per pound, does not generate 280 fps, that archer may shoot arrows weighing less than five (5) grains per pound. However, equipment qualifying under this paragraph (III.A.2) shall not exceed an arrow speed of 280 fps. A variance of three percent (3%) will be allowed for chronograph variation."

My Mom Jackie has got an all new setup on her bow and is excited to get shooting when the snow melts!

5. An arrow embedded in the horn of an animal, not touching body color, is considered a miss and is scored as a zero. Targets with legs or hooves of a different color than the main body will still be considered as body color for scoring. Does this mean a hoof is scored a 5? In the past it has been scored a zero?